More threads by momof5

momof5

Having just had a hysterectomy, my thoughts are going towards asking the dr about replacement hormones.

I was just tossing it about and just recently saw a Dr.Phil show where his wife was discussing menopause and hormones.

Their discussion was actually about bio-identical hormones, which seemed to be a great thing to take, however, it isn't something that is covered by insurance companies.

Listening to the women describe how they were feeling peri-menopause, made me wonder if this was something that I have been going through as the symptoms seemed to be me that they were discussing!

The lack of energy (though battling many different health issues I know that some of it is related to this) being so tired all the time, sometimes being cranky with my family, which is something not really normal for me most of the time.

If anyone is taking the hormones, or has some kind of knowledge they would like to share, I would love to hear as much imput as possible on this subject.

mom

Retired

Mom,

I used to work in this field, but I have been out of it for a few years and the data on HRT has been modified several times in recent years.

How do you feel about the options being offered to you by your gynecologist?

A resource I find to be scientifically objective in delivering current views and data is Medscape, and specifically for the info you're looking for at Medscape Womens' Health

Here's the search of all Medscape for HRT info Data published within the last couple of years would reflect current thinking.

You may have to register to access all the pages, but by doind so you can select the periodic updates of information you're interested in.

Steve

momof5

Hi David,

So far, pretty good reading, thanks for posting. Have to cut the read time short as we have storms heading in.

Do you know anything about the bio-identical HRT in relation to the synthetic?

TSOW, thanks for the link. I saw another one that looked worth checking into on the 3rd article.

Last edited:

Retired

Mayo Clinic:Bioidentical hormones: Are they safer?

Are bioidentical hormones safer and more effective than traditional hormone therapy? They sound like they would be because they're customized to the individual.

Answer from Sandhya Pruthi, M.D.

There's a lot of interest in bioidentical ? or so-called "natural" ? hormone therapy for menopause symptoms. However, there's no evidence that bioidentical hormones are safer or more effective than standard hormone replacement therapy.

Bioidentical hormones are custom-mixed formulas containing various hormones that are chemically identical to those naturally made by your body. These prescription and over-the-counter products are marketed as being tailored to a woman's individual hormone needs, typically determined through saliva hormone testing. Manufacturers claim that bioidentical hormones are safer than standard, FDA-approved hormone therapy.

According to the North American Menopause Society (NAMS), custom compounds may provide certain benefits, such as individualized doses and mixtures of products and forms that aren't available commercially. However, they may also pose risks to consumers. These compounds haven't been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and as a result haven't been tested for purity, potency, efficacy or safety. These products may even contain unknown contaminants. For this reason, NAMS does not recommend these custom-mixed products over well-tested, government-approved commercial products for the majority of women.

Also, bioidentical estrogen and progesterone are available in FDA-approved hormone therapy products, including:
  • Estradiol, such as Estrace, Climara patch and Vivelle-Dot patch
  • Natural progesterone (Prometrium)
These products come in many different doses and forms. So, you don't need to turn to unregulated, individually compounded products as your only source of "natural" hormones.

NightOwl

Hi Mom,

I'm no Doctor so I couldn't give you any medical advice but I do take HRT. At the time I started it, I was going through a major grief as well and it helped to balance out my emotions. I tried 2 different types of HRT from the Doctor and they didn't seem to help very much. Then I talked to Amarant Trust who helped guide me to one they thought might work for me.

I then went back to the Doctor and he prescribed the one they recommended and it worked very well for me. I would hasten to add I make sure I have all medical scans and check-ups whenever they are recommended and have had no problems.

Some of my friends have had different experiences of HRT, some good, some bad.

Also I try to stay to a diet that doesn't have too much caffeine, alcohol or spicy foods. This seems to help quite a lot when I stick to it (not always easy, I know).

Wishing you all the best with whatever you choose.

NightOwl :)

momof5

Steve,

Your information is excellent. I didn't know that the bio-identical wasn't FDA approved. This is something they didn't cover on the Dr.Phil show. This shows that even with so called natural suppliments and replacments that it is good to do the research.

I'm going to write down the names of the different replacments that are mentioned in the thread and then do a name search on them.

I want to be well informed as much as possible when I see the dr for my post surgery check up the end of the month.

NightOwl,

I appreciate your imput. Which of the replacment hormones are you taking if you don't mind my asking?

NightOwl

Hi Mom,

The HRT that I'm on is Fempak80 and I've got on really well with it. There are so many different types that it might take a while that suits you if you decide on taking it. Maybe the first one will work well for you.

There are quite a few books out on HRT that might give you more information. I've got a book by Dr. Miriam Stoppard that I read when I was considering all options (do a search with Google on "miriam stoppard hrt"). Also there is quite a lot written about diet and helping to alleviate some of the menopausal symptoms. The ones that were the most troublesome for me were mood swings, night sweats, and hot flushes. I tackled each one of these independently as well as taking HRT.

I hope you get some help from your Doctor. If I can help with hints and tips of things that have helped me, feel free to ask.

momof5

Hi Mom,

The HRT that I'm on is Fempak80 and I've got on really well with it. There are so many different types that it might take a while that suits you if you decide on taking it. Maybe the first one will work well for you.

There are quite a few books out on HRT that might give you more information. I've got a book by Dr. Miriam Stoppard that I read when I was considering all options (do a search with Google on "miriam stoppard hrt"). Also there is quite a lot written about diet and helping to alleviate some of the menopausal symptoms. The ones that were the most troublesome for me were mood swings, night sweats, and hot flushes. I tackled each one of these independently as well as taking HRT.

I hope you get some help from your Doctor. If I can help with hints and tips of things that have helped me, feel free to ask.

Hi Nightowl,
Thanks for the information that you provided. I did see the doctor yesterday for my check up and discussed options with him.

He didn't recomend the bio-idential hormones for some of the reasons that are in Steve's posting. Most important to him was that they aren't FDA approved. Also he was fearful that each order would be different due to how they mix the prescriptions.

There was a pharmacy in my area that does make these hormones, but they also aren't covered by my script plan. So that right there was something that was a concern for me since I do have massive scripts right now.

He put me on a 3mg dosage of enjuvia.

At this point I am going through the hot flashes and night sweats (even during the day sweats) and chills. Some tenseness, though that isn't an every day thing. Just on occassion.

I go back in 3 months, and we will decide if this one is ok, or if we should up the dosage or try another one.

He encouraged my research on this so that I would have good questions for him when I see him. He would rather that I do this so that he can be effective in helping me out as a patient.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.