More threads by Clinton Girkin

All my life I have been treated as a freak. When I sit by people, they leave. My friends hug every other friend of theirs but me. How do I get people to treat me as good as "normal" people?

justhere

Thats terrible. Am I getting this right: your friends, and their friends, hug one another, while you are there but no one does the same to you? Teen years can be very trying, even traumatic. If you consider yourself very sensitive, dont consider that a put down. I am reading a great book and I bet there are ways to help teenagers accept themselves with this. Have you talked to your parents about going to see a therapist? Online support groups too, thats a great start. Communicate and youll get feedback.

you mentioned in your introductory post that you have tourettes. have you been getting any medical/professional support to help you cope?

how close are you to your friends who won't hug you? would you be able to talk to them about how you feel treated differently and that you'd like for them to treat you normally?

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi again Clinton,

Sorry, I swear that I'm not stalking you around the forum. :D

I just want to clarify something for you - you are normal Clinton. You happen to have tourette syndrome. It doesn't make you abnormal, it just means that you have that syndrome.

And unfortunately, others aren't always knowledgeable or understanding. Have you tried explaining to your friends what your condition is and how it affects you individually? Sometimes, when our friends have a better understanding, they can appreciate that we're not as different as they may think we are...

I'm also providing another link that I think may be relevant to how you're feeling. It was posted by another member Zach.

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/tourette...out-tourette-syndrome-and-social-anxiety.html

TSOW (Steve) is a forum administrator here and also has tourette syndrome. He's also very actively involved in the Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada. I think when he logs back in that he can also provide you with a wealth of information. :)

I just know that they don't like me as much. They never want to go to my parties even if they seem close to me. They say they want to go then stand me up.

Jazzey

Account Closed
I just know that they don't like me as much. They never want to go to my parties even if they seem close to me. They say they want to go then stand me up.

I'm sorry Clinton. That has to be really hard on you...Have you ever tried explaining to them what tourette syndrome is?

Fiver

Welcome back, Clinton. I hope your dinner was better than mine. It's nice to have you with us on the board. You're an equal here, and you can sit next to me any time you want, virtually speaking.

Retired

Clinton,

As has already asked, I'll be looking forward to your reply to:

ITL said:
have you been getting any medical/professional support to help you cope?

Do your parents understand about Tourette Syndrome?

Do your teachers understand about Tourette Syndrome?

Have you ever been in contact with the local Tourette support chapter of The Tourette Syndrome Association ?

To answer the question you asked:

Clinton said:
How do I get people to treat me as good as "normal" people?

First of all, you are not all that different from anyone else, except you have a neurological disorder that causes you to involuntarily do things of which others might take notice.

Lets put that into perspective.

Someone else my have a disorder where they might have a dark colored spot on their skin (called a port wine stain), while others my difficulty learning some things, or have such poor eyesight they need glasses that look like a pop bottle.

The point is, Clinton, no one on this earth is perfect, and by understanding the other person's limitations, we make adjustments.

That is where you come in.

By taking the necessary steps that we can talk about in detail, you can help your schoolmates and friends better understand what Tourette is all about.

In most cases, once they understand that you are just like them, and that they are just like you...except for this mis-wiring that happens to be part of your brain circuitry that causes these involuntary movements or sounds, your friends will become more understanding.

We can give you some things to do and to say that have helped others in your situation, and might also help you.

In what grade are you now, Clinton?

Retired

OK on being a Senior!

Would you respond to the other questions so we can have an idea of your background?

ITL said:
have you been getting any medical/professional support to help you cope?

Do you have a doctor who sees you about your Tourette?

Do your parents understand about Tourette Syndrome?

Do your teachers understand about Tourette Syndrome?

Have you ever been in contact with the local Tourette support chapter of The Tourette Syndrome Association ?

Jazzey

Account Closed
A senior in High School - that should be an exciting time for you Clinton.:)

Steve has asked some really insightful questions above. That may help all of us give you a little more guidance and support....

I too am curious about your answers. :)

Retired

Clinton said:
All my life I have been treated as a freak. When I sit by people, they leave. My friends hug every other friend of theirs but me. How do I get people to treat me as good as "normal" people?

While it is sadly true that some people put down anyone who appears to be different, I feel the key to overcoming this kind of intolerance is through improving awareness among those who are misinformed, and to refocus your view of yourself from what sets you apart, to your personal strengths and skills.

Prejudice and intolerance occur not only in the form of racial, religious or ethnic prejudice, but also in the form of isolation or ridicule toward people with any number of disabilities or disorders, including Tourette.

Advocacy groups that provide support for the various disabilities and disorders often provide awareness training to co-workers for adults and for teachers and classmates of young adults and children. I know this is true for the Tourette Syndrome Association in the U.S along with similar advocacy groups worldwide.

Awareness training can be in the form of providing a speaker, to showing videos, distributing informative pamphlets to actual in-service training to teachers and employers to acquaint them with the disorder and to provide them with strategies to integrate the person with the disorder into their environment.

The other side of the coin involves the focus of the person with the disorder, which might require some professional assistance through therapy.

Tourette limits your potential for achievement only by the limits you place on yourself.

In the case of Tourette Syndrome, there should be few limitations to what you can accomplish in life professionally and socially, when you maintain a positive attitude and a willingness to inform people about your disorder.

People with Tourette work in all professional fields, all lines of work, have successful relationships and productive, successful lives.

A person with Tourette or any other disorder or disability can gain the respect and admiration of their peers through their personal achievements, a positive attitude, a sense of humor and a willingness to share awareness about their disorder when required.

I guess the bottom line is to identify yourself by your abilities rather than by the disabilities.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.