More threads by Jesse910

In reviewing the newspaper articles regarding the most recent shootings on college and high school campuses, I'm feeling more guarded. There are numerous individuals from all walks of life who rely upon psychiatric drugs to enable them to live productive lives. Continuously, the media creates a frightening view that those on such medication are dangerous and violent. And, when atrocity occurs, there is an immediate search to ascertain whether or not the person had mental health issues and/or was utilizing or not utilizing psychiatric medication. The immediate reaction by people who are ignorant is that there are "crazy people" running around who need to be locked up. And, there is a tendency to not want to socialize with said individuals.

Over the years, I have gone to great lengths to protect my privacy both in the work place and in my everyday life because of such negativity and possible embarrassment. How do others deal with this problem in your everyday lives and has it affected your relationships?

ladylore

Account Closed
I have been addressing the same types of issues through trauma therapy - how do I stay safe in the world, feel safe and still interact? What I have been doing is "rebuilding a safety bubble" so to speak.

Knowing that yes at times bad things do and can happen but also know that for the most part people a good and the majority of people in my life mean me no harm. I am dealing with the things that trigger me so that I feel safer and can participate in life instead of being a bystander.

braveheart

It can be hard. Work are great, but the general public not so, I've found. I once got very panicky in a small chemist shop and asked a woman to move back so I could safely get out of the door. Her response was that I should be locked up and not in a chemists. That really hurt, because, although I have a tendency to agoraphobia, and it does limit my life to some degree, I refuse to let it stop me from going out completely. The response I've had, you'd think noone else in the world was ever sensitive, or anxious, or had PTSD. But I know for a fact the reverse is true.

Thanks Ladylore and Braveheart for your responses. I think more than anything on some level, we who "know" more about the inner workings of the mind need to be more proactive in presenting a measure of tolerance to others and in our show of compassion. I actually find myself at times more tolerant of people in a crisis because I've been in a similar situation. I have less patience for the screeching person who decides to flip someone the bird or blasts someone with negative language.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.