More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
How Facebook Ruins Friendships
By ELIZABETH BERNSTEIN, Wall Street Journal
AUGUST 25, 2009

Notice to my friends: I love you all dearly.

But I don't give a hoot that you are "having a busy Monday," your child "took 30 minutes to brush his teeth," your dog "just ate an ant trap" or you want to "save the piglets." And I really, really don't care which Addams Family member you most resemble. (I could have told you the answer before you took the quiz on Facebook.)

Here's where you and I went wrong: We took our friendship online. First we began communicating more by email than by phone. Then we switched to "instant messaging" or "texting." We "friended" each other on Facebook, and began communicating by "tweeting" our thoughts?in 140 characters or less?via Twitter.

All this online social networking was supposed to make us closer. And in some ways it has. Thanks to the Internet, many of us have gotten back in touch with friends from high school and college, shared old and new photos, and become better acquainted with some people we might never have grown close to offline.

Last year, when a friend of mine was hit by a car and went into a coma, his friends and family were able to easily and instantly share news of his medical progress?and send well wishes and support?thanks to a Web page his mom created for him.

But there's a danger here, too. If we're not careful, our online interactions can hurt our real-life relationships.

Like many people, I'm experiencing Facebook Fatigue. I'm tired of loved ones?you know who you are?who claim they are too busy to pick up the phone, or even write a decent email, yet spend hours on social-media sites, uploading photos of their children or parties, forwarding inane quizzes, posting quirky, sometimes nonsensical one-liners or tweeting their latest whereabouts. ("Anyone know a good restaurant in Berlin?")

One of the big problems is how we converse. Typing still leaves something to be desired as a communication tool; it lacks the nuances that can be expressed by body language and voice inflection. "Online, people can't see the yawn," says Patricia Wallace, a psychologist at Johns Hopkins University's Center for Talented Youth and author of "The Psychology of the Internet."

But let's face it, the problem is much greater than which tools we use to communicate. It's what we are actually saying that's really mucking up our relationships. "Oh my God, a college friend just updated her Facebook status to say that her 'teeth are itching for a flossing!'" shrieked a friend of mine recently. "That's gross. I don't want to hear about what's going on inside her mouth."

That prompted me to check my own Facebook page, only to find that three of my pals?none of whom know each other?had the exact same status update: "Zzzzzzz." They promptly put me to "zzzzzzz."

This brings us to our first dilemma: Amidst all this heightened chatter, we're not saying much that's interesting, folks. Rather, we're breaking a cardinal rule of companionship: Thou Shalt Not Bore Thy Friends.

"It's called narcissism," says Matt Brown, a 36-year-old business-development manager for a chain of hair salons and spas in Seattle. He's particularly annoyed by a friend who works at an auto dealership who tweets every time he sells a car, a married couple who bicker on Facebook's public walls and another couple so "mooshy-gooshy" they sit in the same room of their house posting love messages to each other for all to see. "Why is your life so frickin' important and entertaining that we need to know?" Mr. Brown says.

'I Just Ate a Frito Pie'
Gwen Jewett, for her part, is sick of meal status updates. "A few of my friends like to post several times a day about what they are eating: 'I just ate a Frito pie.' 'I am enjoying a double hot-fudge sundae at home tonight.' 'Just ate a whole pizza with sausage, peppers and double cheese,'" says the 49-year-old career coach in suburban Dallas. "My question is this: If we didn't call each other on the phone every time we ate before, why do we need the alerts now?"

For others, boredom isn't the biggest challenge of managing Internet relationships. Consider, for example, how people you know often seem different online?not just gussied up or more polished, but bolder, too, displaying sides of their personalities you have never seen before.

Alex Gilbert, 27, who works for a nonprofit in Houston that teaches creative writing to kids, is still puzzling over an old friend?"a particularly masculine-type dude"?who plays in a heavy-metal band and heads a motorcycle club yet posts videos on Facebook of "uber cute" kittens. "It's not fodder for your real-life conversation," Mr. Gilbert says. "We're not going to get together and talk about how cute kittens are."

James Hills discovered that a colleague is gay via Facebook, but he says that didn't bother him. It was after his friend joined groups that cater to hairy men, such as "Furball NYC," that he was left feeling awkward. "This is something I just didn't need to know," says Mr. Hills, who is 32 and president of a marketing firm in Elgin, Ill. "I'd feel the same way if it was a straight friend joining a leather-and-lace group."

And then there's jealousy. In all that information you're posting about your life?your vacation, your kids, your promotions at work, even that margarita you just drank?someone is bound to find something to envy. When it comes to relationships, such online revelations can make breaking up even harder to do.

"Facebook prolongs the period it takes to get over someone, because you have an open window into their life, whether you want to or not," says Yianni Garcia of New York, a consultant who helps companies use social media. "You see their updates, their pictures and their relationship status."

Mr. Garcia, 24, felt the sting of Facebook jealousy personally last spring, after he split up with his boyfriend. For a few weeks, he continued to visit his ex's Facebook page, scrutinizing his new friends. Then one day he discovered that his former boyfriend had blocked him from accessing his profile.

Why? "He said he'd only 'unfriended' me to protect himself, because if someone flirted with me he would feel jealous," Mr. Garcia says.

Facebook can also be a mecca for passive-aggressive behavior. "Suddenly, things you wouldn't say out loud in conversation are OK to say because you're sitting behind a computer screen," says Kimberly Kaye, 26, an arts writer in New York. She was surprised when friends who had politely discussed health-care reform over dinner later grew much more antagonistic when they continued the argument online.

Just ask Heather White. She says her college roommate at the University of Georgia started an argument over text about who should clean their apartment. Ms. White, 22, who was home visiting her parents at the time, asked her friend to call her so they could discuss the issue. Her friend never did.

A few days later, Ms. White, who graduated in May, updated her Facebook status, commenting that her favorite country duo, Brooks & Dunn, just broke up. Almost immediately, her roommate responded, writing publicly on her wall: "Just like us." The two women have barely spoken since then.

Band-Aid Tactics
So what's the solution, short of "unfriending" or "unfollowing" everyone who annoys you? You can use the "hide" button on Facebook to stop getting your friends' status updates?they'll never know?or use TwitterSnooze, a Web site that allows you to temporarily suspend tweets from someone you follow. (Warning: They'll get a notice from Twitter when you begin reading their tweets again.)

But these are really just Band-Aid tactics. To improve our interactions, we need to change our conduct, not just cover it up. First, watch your own behavior, asking yourself before you post anything: "Is this something I'd want someone to tell me?" "Run it by that focus group of one," says Johns Hopkins's Dr. Wallace.

And positively reward others, responding only when they write something interesting, ignoring them when they are boring or obnoxious. (Commenting negatively will only start a very public war.)

If all that fails, you can always start a new group: "Get Facebook to Create an Eye-Roll Button Now!"

Fiver

Why, you can pry my Facebook account from my cold, dead keyboard...

Okay, maybe it's just me, but I don't have the problems listed above, save for one friend who is That Poster who has to update every hour on crap that numbs my mind. But she's a sweetheart -- therefore, I simply block her status updates and the problem is solved. She is more than welcome to comment on mine, and frequently does.

One positive aspect for me is that I have a relatively short group of friends for two areas of my life: Less than fifty friends total, 40% family, 40% people I hung out with in high school and with whom I've reconnected through Facebook. The reason why it works so well for me is that each group knows everyone in the group. Obviously, my sister and her assorted spawn and their SOs all know each other, and the group from high school are also on each others' friends lists.

The other 20% have never stopped themselves from inserting witticisms into a long running commentary that my status updates often produce. For instance, I just looked at my last update from yesterday:

Lane wants Hoser to know that while it's the thought that counts, dead mice do not make proper gifts.

This prompted 35 responses that quickly stopped being about cats and their inability to select a good present, and ended up being a debate about Barbie vs. Ken vs. Skipper vs. PJ.

But we're tight groups, and both groups interact and some have gotten on each others' friends lists. If I don't really care what's going on in your life, I won't put you on my list. It's pretty simple.

It can be done, and it can be done to the enjoyment of the user and the user's friends if it's done right. You just need a group of friends and family who are as warped as you are.

Banned

Banned
I don't seem to have these problems either. I get alot of people who thank me for my honest updates, and sometimes they're interesting, sometimes they're boring, sometimes they're informative, and sometimes they're lame. I've learned alot about who my true friends are (and the ones that aren't promptly get removed from my list) and it's helped me stay in contact with old friends (best friend from grade five).

I was really hesistant to join facebook but I really like it. I don't do any of the other sites though...one is enough. Plus, I *am* a ridiculously busy person. Without facebook, I would literally be isolated. At least with it, I can feel connected to others, regardless of how often I might see them in person.

Fiver

It's the stupid quizzes and Mafia Wars and junk like that which bug me. However, I learned that I can hide the applications from showing up in my newsfeed without having to hide or block the actual user, and THAT made a huge difference.

I actually enjoy the status updates. Even if they're boring (and my niece and her partner, having had a brand new baby a month ago, tend to fill the newsfeeds with Gavin's every sneeze and diaper change,) there's nothing keeping me from commenting on what they write. Luckily, Both D'Anne and Stacy have a wit sharper than mine and can give as good as they get. Nah, my account isn't boring, believe me. It's fun. ;)

For instance, this is the very latest from my niece just now:

D'Anne
Is my baby's pimples on the chin is acne?

25 minutes ago

Angela
baby acne, unfortunately...my 3rd had it :(
24 minutes ago

Lane
Depends. Can it blink?
24 minutes ago ? Delete

D'Anne
For the record, my status is a joke. A grammar joke. Because people on internet forums type the darndest things. And yes, Gavin definitely has got some acne going on. But he's still the handsomest.
3 minutes ago

Lane
See, I had simply assumed that sleep deprivation had killed your ability to write in grammatically correct form. I'm pleased to hear that your brain's speech center has not been turned to mush by Gavin's vibrating chair. But I believe yesterday we covered what the vibrating baby chair actually does turn to mush.
2 seconds ago ? Delete
My belief is that with a friend list that is large and diverse, this type of back-and-forth will simply annoy the other 287 people on the list. That's why I keep mine to those I know pretty well, or know they have the sense to block me if I annoy them.

Fiver

You can hide Mafia Wars -- up in the right corner, cursor over the blank spot and it will open a menu that says "Hide Application or Hide User?" So I pretty much wiped out the Mafia in my corner of Facebook. As for the stupid farm thing, so far all I have figured is that I'll have to hide the user if it gets too bad. I really don't want to do this because my farmer friends sometimes have the most interesting and wittiest status updates.

I suppose the best I can do is hope for a virtual plague of locusts to attack their virtual farms.

Last edited:

justhere

LOL @ As for the stupid farm thing, :::Nodding in agreement. Personally, I dont consider it a popularity contest, this goes for Twitter too, as one m:(ron said in a tweet, I have the tendency to *hide* virtually everyone* and I hate the inane updates! Its great to read funny, witty, smart, even sarcastic ones however:2thumbs:

* but I do read them, there is an option to read ignored what-a-ma-callits, when I have time to sit at my desk to read them

Pet peeve: twitter updates "sitting here drinking coffee" "going to take a shower" WHAT THE HECK? I delete my followers or those of whom I follow if they tweet this kinda thing too often, some people tweet 5 updates consecutively of a smiliar banality. Boring I say!

moomoo

I'm a lot more accepting of my friends statuses it seems.

I'm not bothered if they want to 'update' about food they have eaten or songs they are listening to.

It's not a problem for me. I am happy to read it.

It's not really their job to keep me entertained 24/7 and honestly if you're going to roll your eyes and be contemptuous of your friends then the problem is YOU.

People's lives ARE mundane. They are NOT supposed to be full of drama.

Facebook is good - more good than bad.

See - even it's detractors can't make a good argument.

Fiver

I don't use Twitter, but I've been guilty of posting a status update or two describing my intense need to be guzzling coffee as I complain that my coffee maker is TOO SLOW by making me wait three minutes to brew an entire pot. I do not wake up well, not at all. It takes about two hours before I'm even ready to let anyone talk to me if I must speak with more than a grunt. Therefore, I've made my share of disparaging status updates regarding the imbibing of coffee, or lack thereof, and the intense need for IMMEDIATE caffeine gratification, which has not been fulfilled entirely due to the fault of my lazy, inconsiderate-to-my-needs-and-feelings coffee maker. And the ensuing comments are always predictable: 1) Get a new, faster coffee maker, 2) get the timer set right and actually use it, and the most popular comment every time, 3) "Wow, you're sorta grouchy before you have coffee." I'm giving equal, thoughtful consideration to each of the wonderful suggestions I've received from friends via Facebook. Except for #3. :coffee:

Yes, I'm afraid that everyone in my Facebook friend list knows that I am verbally cruel to my coffee maker when I first wake up.* But you know, I am in therapy; perhaps Pat and I should discuss the dysfunctional relationships I have with small appliances during our next appointment this Tuesday. ;)

*For the record, while it is wrong that I treat my coffee maker so cruelly because it won't produce at my rate of demand, it is ONLY the coffee maker that I treat so unkindly. People and cats (and anyone who unfortunately phones during the extended wakification period) are treated politely, respectfully, and even with sincere friendliness -- unless it requires conversation. So although I'm relatively good-natured while my brain warms up to full power, never expect any kind of communication that requires me to speak my thoughts into actual words. The coffee maker is the only thing that hears real words instead of grunts, and those are words spelled entirely with asterisks (except Facebook spells them the same way I growl them...and often with capital letters.) :cool:

Banned

Banned
I try to keep my status updates interesting and somewhat relevant, knowing they will show up on 195 other pages. But I won't lie either - some of them are pretty boring and I'm one of those people that feels the need to change it several times a day. At one point my status said I was going to see how long I could go without changing it...people were betting on me!!

Recently I put a poll for what kind of puppy I should get and what I should name him.

ladylore

Account Closed
I use to be quite an intense person so seeing that someone I know is going to pick raspberries on the weekend is quite cool.

Fiver

And that's cool, too. Like everything in life, our differences in personal tastes make everything interesting and fresh.

I think Facebook works well for me since I have a small friend list compared to 200-300 that I've seen so many people have. I don't think I even know 200 people. So I have 48 in my list, less than half of whom are even relatively active. I'm pretty selective with who gets on my list so this keeps it intimate and comfortable. I've reconnected with high school acquaintances after nearly thirty years and have made true real-time friends with the wonderful adults they've become. We can make a status update comment list go for days with friendly and raucous banter, and if I post an update that indicates my head space is not good, I can read several supportive comments that will also prompt phone calls that check up on me.

Facebook is what you make it. I'm happy with how I've managed to carve a very small piece out of a very huge site, because small and intimate makes it work for me. YM, as it always and forever will, MV.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
James Hills discovered that a colleague is gay via Facebook, but he says that didn't bother him. It was after his friend joined groups that cater to hairy men, such as "Furball NYC," that he was left feeling awkward.

:lol:

On a related note, in the news today:

Using data from the social network Facebook, they made a striking discovery: just by looking at a person’s online friends, they could predict whether the person was gay.

Project ‘Gaydar’: An MIT experiment raises new questions about online privacy - The Boston Globe

Banned

Banned
There are also the ever-reliable facebook quizzes such as "How Gay Are You?" and "What's Your Gaydar?".

Given that the people that create these quizzes can't even spell, I'd say they might not be the most reliable :)

I think any form of "internet" site like facebook is any easy way to ruin a friendship. People say whatever they want when they are behind a screen. Without realizing the consequences of their actions....I've made mistakes and gotten myself in a pickle from posting something without thinking and sometimes by posting something innocently and it being twisted and turned by others. I think if facebook works for you - great, but I know that after I got rid of my Facebook, I found out who my real friends were....I've gotten more phone calls from my "real" friends over the past 4 months than I have in the past 6 years of using Facebook, Nexopia, or whatever else.
So...I guess to each their own. :2thumbs:

sarek

I am the kind of person for closed small circles of carefully selected friends. While I do have an account on facebook it is essentially dormant and all the privacy settings are maxed out.

I prefer more private and controlled environments like forums, mail and p to p chat and voice communications using messenger apps. To me three is a crowd.

Banned

Banned
I just got back from three weeks in Italy and while I was there I didn't go on Facebook. I was surprised to find I didn't even miss it, so...I'm contemplating letting my account go dormant as well. There are things I like about it (ie sharing my photos with people) but, I'm not sure it's really crucial to my well-being or success in life. I need to think about it. If the site disappeared tomorrow, I've learned I wouldn't miss it.

SilentNinja

I used to be on FB, bebo... i even started a twitter to see what it was all about but i have deleted them all, they make me a little angry.

Years ago no one had heard of these sites, but it seems everyone now has a need to tell everyone what they are doing now, the worst is twitter. Its changing people and i think maybe causing more Ego and attention seekers in the world, and people trying to beat there friends at things.

Also its a way to get all us on record, and a way for goverments to spy on us, and a way to brainwash us all, so i dont want to be a part of it... i would rather be free and have my privicy, if i want to conact a friend they can by E-mail, or Msn, where its just one on one, not where everyone can read my stuff, gossip etc etc.

Thats just what i think anyway :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.