More threads by rick

rick

I have not expierienced an obsession in 10+ weeks, for years I lived day and night with different obsessions, some lasting hours, others lasting several months!

I, got my self a safe place with everything I needed for 48 hours(first time) and concentrated on the obsession. I gave my obsession 100% attention and focus in an environment where the obsession had full control of my thoughts and there was no external stimulation.

The obsession was gone within 60 seconds, I waited an hour to make sure.

I have successfully utilized this procedure on two additional occasions and it worked too well. When you are obsessing(I know Obsessing) tell everyone around you to 'excuse me my brain wants to obsesse' excuse yourself and then give the obsession all your attention.
Give / take : an obsesion will take as much attention as it can, when I 'GIVE' the obsession such attention it disappears (in seconds).

This is a really great coping startegy for me, perhaps it may work for you!

Sounds like you may have been applying the following technique to deal with your obsessions: (taken from http://www.ocdonline.com/definecbt.php)

II. Habituation
Habituation is the biological tendency for the brain not to focus on information, which is continually present. Individuals who live close to a train track tend not to be aware of the passing train's presence until a visiting friend mentions the surprising loudness of the passing train's sound. Habituation is represented in behavioral treatment for OCD by purposefully repeating in one's head the nature of the spike. The "purposeful" repetition of the upsetting thought will communicate the irrelevant nature of the spike's theme to the brain. This repetition will also reduce the brain's sensitivity to the emotional intensity of the spike. After you touch the bottom of your shoe, find out how difficult it would be to purposefully remind yourself, every five seconds for a five minute period, that your now going to get sick and spread disease.
The following scenario is an example of extinction and habituation. While changing her daughter's diaper, the mother has an automatic thought (spike) that she "should" suffocate her child with a pillow. A therapeutic response would entail having the mother say, "OK, maybe I'll kill my daughter, so let's do it now." This response is based on the premise that through acceptance, the mind will reduce its sensitivity to these ideas (e.g. extinction). Escape or intolerance regarding the feared stimulus (spike) tends to perpetuate its strength. Having this mother purposefully create the thought (approximately 15 times) while changing a diaper would act as a purposeful exposure (e.g. habituation) and also further reduce the mind's sensitivity to these topics.

Ok I'm feeling ornery!

I agree this technique will work... but I am feeling a bit ornery! I am a definite agoraphobic (afraid of men - though, grudgingly, I admit to liking them)!

That would mean I would force my woman self to go around hugging cute men my age. Oh, joy! What fun therapy!

Miss Clean

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.