More threads by concerned father

Dear all, I wonder how to increase social interaction and speech for a 3 year old girl with ASD. Are there any serious professionals online readings on the subject? regards.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Sorry... I'm not a child psychologist and I have no special expertise in autism spectrum disorders. You really should try to find a pediatrician or child psychologists with knowledge of ASD and get their advice.

making_art

Dear dad,

It is wonderful that you are looking for resources. The sooner you have communication and social programming in place for your daughter the more opportunities will be available for her.

I work with children and adults within the autism spectrum both in the school system and group homes. Do you live in an area where you have an autism organization?

Here is a link to a communication system that is the best one I know of called PECS or Picture Exchange Communication which can be used for those with little verbal communication. The PEC system is very good for laying out routines so the child knows what comes next or for transitions from one routine to the next. For example, leaving the house and going in the car. Welcome to PECS-Canada.com!

:welcome:

Hi it is very important to have a professional in place so if there are any problems you will have that contact that will help your daughter They also will have connections in your community like group supports for the parents and for your child

thank you all, my daughter already goes to an autism society ,where she has a comprehensive program including self help , socializing and language , as well as OT therapy.she is progressing very fast now using the PECS and just speaking to her. we apply the same techniques at home, and take her to a playyard to play with children , and she is loving it.she has an ear to music and learns very fast with audio-visual tutoring and regular conversation,but not through books. do you have more recommendations that will help her program, thnx.

W00BY

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
This is a difficult conundrum.

My son lies between Asperger's and other Autistic spectrum symptoms. Firstly half your battle has been getting a diagnosis (well done).

With my son I was told he had a language and communication disorder until the unit he was supposed to go to would not touch him with a barge pole. I then went back to the child development doctor who gave the initial diagnosis and basically exploded wanting to know answers as to why my child was being put into a special school.

My son has been failed in many ways they put him in a special school and asked no more questions, his speech came on he began to open up and is now 18 and training in a top flight restaurant as a chef.

However much of his progression has been down to me I toughed out the repetitive behavior, hiding anything he became fixated with. Even though he showed complete intolerance socially to his siblings I would drag him along with us anywhere we went and put up with the tantrums and I worked hard on what and what was not appropriate in social settings.

To give you some indication of the job at hand, as said, he is 18 and it was only a year ago I felt confident to take him into restaurants as a family and that he would not kick off and behave appropriately. At 16 I knew I had to cross the bridge for his sake. Sitting in his room with his friends coming to him and us going out without him was not doing him any favors. He is still improving and learning as I type this now. So at first I took him out on his own and worked it up from there.

Basically what I am trying to say is it is the same in many ways as normal parenting...you know your child better than anyone and will know almost instinctively at times what is and what is not needed but already you have jumped a massive hurdle with a diagnosis and an appropriate placement.

Time helps too there is a maturity aspect. I help in a disabled swimming club where many of the kids are on the spectrum somewhere and one day you will attend and suddenly they show appropriate humor, or engage you in conversation that they do not walk away from halfway through and it's such a striking moment that leaves you with a massive smile.

I can't say it's an easy journey but you will end up with insights and knowledge and understanding of your child through these challenges you'll face that many parents never get to share or experience.

I am incredibly proud of my son as he has faced adversity and prejudice and had to fight institutional pigeon holing all the way but like I already said trust your instincts you'll thank yourself for it.

The things you face are considerations not limitations and I wish you well.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.