More threads by Superiority Tails

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It works for some people, not for others. Yoga and Deep Muscle Relaxation are other approaches, as well as physical exercise.

But for a more permanent solution, you need to look at how to eliominate or better cope with the stressors in your life.

joe isuzu

I've heard from several sources that hypnosis can help with compulsive lying. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Also, how difficult is it to actually put a person under hypnosis? What does the therapist/doctor to if the patient is resistant? Thanks, Joe

joe isuzu

How does one determine if they can be hypnotized, or make themselves more amenable to it? Also, I have seen several sites that purport to have the means to hypnotize someone & cure their compulsive lying. Is there any validity to this or does it rate right up there with " male enhancement pills"? I don't mean to be cynical, but it does seem a stretch. Thanks, Joe Isuzu

Lana

To add to what David said, a while ago I attended some lectures that had to do with hypnosis, how it works, etc. As David said, they work best on people that are susceptible to suggestions. I spoke with some people that have experienced hypnosis and to persons performing the hypnosis and all said that the outcome of it is an increased awareness of particular behavior, rather then it's disappearance.

So, if anyone is thinking of hypnosis as a means to forget or abandon something, I'm not sure it would help. However, it would help becoming more aware when engaging in unwanted behavior and help gauge responses to it.

I think when you're addressing compulsive lying, before doing the hypnosis, it may help to look into the reasons what causes you to lie in the first place. Then, of course, you'd have to find methods to achieve the desirable outcome without lying. After all that introspection and skill building, if you feel you need to raise your awareness of your lying (so it's not so compulsive), then I'd consider hypnosis.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.