More threads by lallieth

lallieth

I am addicted to baby carrots..nope this isn't a joke..I started eating baby carrots about 6 months ago...sometimes 3-4lbs a week.My gp noticed it when he noticed the colour of my palms,they are slightly orange

He told me that because not all the carotene can be excreted by my liver,it shows up in the palms and sometimes around the mouth.

I began eating them because I was searching for a crunch alternative..I dont eat as many as I use too,but its gotten out of hand...no pun intended

It is a true addiction in the sense that it follows all addiction guidelines...

I realize that it has to stop and when I cut down one time I actually went through a withdrawal like phase(probably from the lack of sugar)

I have tried to replace it with other things but nothing has worked..I need to go cold turkey I guess *sigh*

lallieth

Thanks Daniel.that relieved my mind...I didn't even consider vegetarians and their veg consumption,and from what I read there are many health benefits to eating baby carrots..and as the dr has said "there are worst things to be addicted too"

I will happily continue to munch on..in moderation of course :)

what about replacing some of the carrots with other crunchy vegetables? the first one that comes to mind is celery. can't think of any others at the moment but i am sure there is more out there.

lallieth

ITL & Daniel..

I have tried to replace the carrots,but no go..I do eat a wide range of other veg as well,but just seem to prefer carrots..I did try celery but it just doesnt have the crunch and texture carrots do....."errrr wassup doc?"

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Now I have seen it all:

Carrot addiction. [Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 1996] - PubMed Result

Anyway, if you can beat this "carrot addiction" at the grocery store, I would think you would be fine in the long term.

Of course, sugarless gum can replace some oral fixations (like smoking) and has the added benefit that it can decrease cavity formation. I also use hot tea (like green tea) and hot chocolate as substitutes for regular snacking.

I did try celery but it just doesnt have the crunch and texture carrots do....."errrr wassup doc?"

I also like the crunch of apple slices, which are sometimes given to children as a substitute for things like french fries. I also like salads using nuts as a substitute for croutons.

Last edited:

Halo

Have you thought of switching to the large carrots which would still give you the crunch, flavour and texture that you want however it may help with not eating as many being that it would take you longer to eat them.

lallieth

Interesting.I am not surprised though that I would be associated with a rare addiction

Have you thought of switching to the large carrots which would still give you the crunch, flavour and texture that you want however it may help with not eating as many being that it would take you longer to eat them.
I have tried,but they weren't as sweet.This week I am going to make a good effort in recording how many carrots I eat and try and really cut back

I have to add,that before the carrots,it was mango's,before mango's it was gum.I had to stop eating mango's when my daughter had an allergic reaction to the oil in the skin.So it's really a food addiction and not just carrots alone.

Last edited:

lallieth

I haven't had any carrots in two days and honestly,I feel awful,who knew there was such a thing as carrot withdrawal.. I am going to assume that withdrawal is from both the carotene and sugar.I had celery today instead,wasn't the same but oh well,at least celery won't turn my palms orange

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.