More threads by Retired

Retired

Hello..I am pleased to have discovered Psychlinks Online.

I have Tourette Syndrome which was diagnosed late in life for me. Believe it or not I managed to live a good part of my life thinking I was the only one in the world doing these things, until I heard a public service announcement on the radio...read by, of all people Captain Kirk (William Shatner) in the late 80's.

In the announcement, he was describing me! For the first time in my life, I learned that what I was doing had a name.

After calling the number in the announcement, I received some literature and my eyes were opened to a disorder that affects more people than I could have ever imagined.

It took a long time before I was able to come to terms with the diagnosis, because until that moment it was my darkest deepest secret.

Once I worked through the acceptance and understanding of the disorder, with the assistance and support of my physician and family, I became interested in helping others avert the same fate of isolation I had experienced by creating awareness of Tourette.

If you suspect you might have Tourette Syndrome, speak with your doctor. In the meantime look for resources online or in you community where information and support are available.

I'm looking forward to learning and sharing in your online community.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.