More threads by Neosa

Neosa

Hi! I could have put this in a half a dozen different places but I guess this is the best.
I'm 16. I have read a dozen psychology books and college course books. I am able to talk to other people and such about their problems when they come up to me or ask me. I tell them what they need to hear maybe not what they want to hear but what they need to hear. I haven't had a problem yet with it not turing out right. But even with all this I still can't do what I what I wanted to do in the first place. My parents have been seperated for about 8 years now. My mom has been a major drunk as long as I can remember. My father divorced my mother because of this reason and thought he would get custody. He did not receive custody. For about 6 years I have tried to get my mom to stop drinking the way she is or all together. This is one of the reasons I started with psychology the wayI did. I have tried and tried to get her to stop but to no avail.

I want to know if anybody has any tips for getting my mother to stop drinking and to go to some type of AA meeting.
Also the more legal side of things if anybody could tell me any thing about getting an emancipation.

Thanks Neosa

Neosa

Hi! I could have put this in a half a dozen different places but I guess this is the best.
I'm 16. I have read a dozen psychology books and college course books. I am able to talk to other people and such about their problems when they come up to me or ask me. I tell them what they need to hear maybe not what they want to hear but what they need to hear. I haven't had a problem yet with it not turing out right. But even with all this I still can't do what I what I wanted to do in the first place. My parents have been seperated for about 8 years now. My mom has been a major drunk as long as I can remember. My father divorced my mother because of this reason and thought he would get custody. He did not receive custody. For about 6 years I have tried to get my mom to stop drinking the way she is or all together. This is one of the reasons I started with psychology the wayI did. I have tried and tried to get her to stop but to no avail.

I want to know if anybody has any tips for getting my mother to stop drinking and to go to some type of AA meeting.
Also the more legal side of things if anybody could tell me any thing about getting an emancipation.

Thanks Neosa

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It may depend on where you live and the laws governing custody issues. I do know that in Canada, at your age you can live with whatever parent you wish - no court will force you to return to live with your mother if you choose to live with your father.

As for the other part, there really isn't any way to get your mother to stop drinking until or unless she is willing to face the fact that she has a problem. Most alcoholics or addicts have a lot of difficulty accepting that fact, even when it is blatantly obvious to everyone else in the world.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It may depend on where you live and the laws governing custody issues. I do know that in Canada, at your age you can live with whatever parent you wish - no court will force you to return to live with your mother if you choose to live with your father.

As for the other part, there really isn't any way to get your mother to stop drinking until or unless she is willing to face the fact that she has a problem. Most alcoholics or addicts have a lot of difficulty accepting that fact, even when it is blatantly obvious to everyone else in the world.

shadow25

I'm not sure if this could help, but when my dad starts drinking and I want him to quit, I mostly try to ask him a lot to not drink but when that doesn't work, I would always try to make a deal with him, like if he stop drinking, I would stop doing weird things, like read too much (I love to read). That works sometimes, but when he tries to drink again, I just try to distract him into doing something else, keep him busy.

I don't know if that could work for you but you can try, if you want.

shadow25

I'm not sure if this could help, but when my dad starts drinking and I want him to quit, I mostly try to ask him a lot to not drink but when that doesn't work, I would always try to make a deal with him, like if he stop drinking, I would stop doing weird things, like read too much (I love to read). That works sometimes, but when he tries to drink again, I just try to distract him into doing something else, keep him busy.

I don't know if that could work for you but you can try, if you want.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.