More threads by Asuha

Asuha

Hello everyone,
I am 21 years old and I have a terrible fear of doctors and anything else medical related. I have no problem going to doctors offices and hospitals when it is for someone else and not myself. As soon as it is for myself I can not do it I just really can't. I have not been to a doctor or dentist or hospital or anything of the sort since I was about 13. My fear gets worse all the time. I am embarrassed to tell people about this and the only person who knows how bad my fear really is would be my fiance. Together we have been trying to figure out ways to work through this and we have been unsuccessful. I suppose my fear could be called Iatrophobia but I am unsure if it is that severe. Does anyone else have this problem? It would be greatly appreciated if anyone had any advice they could share with me or any similar problems/experiences to share. Thank you.

GDPR

GDPR
I share your fear. Except I have a hard time going even if it's for someone else. My fear is due to trauma related hospitalization as a child and also from being sexually abused by a doctor as a young adult. You didn't say what caused your fear....do you even know why? You don't have to answer, just asking cause working on those things in therapy has helped alot.

What have you tried in order to get over your fear? I went quite a few years without seeing a doctor, and knew I NEEDED to go, so I went and kind of hung out at the clinic for awhile for a week or so to try and get myself comfortable with it. I located all the exits, I read all the signs, looked at the maps of the building, sat in the waiting room for awhile and did it every day until the anxiety level was tolerable. The more you do something, the easier it gets, but first you have to make a conscious decision to deal with the phobia and keep telling yourself you CAN do it. Thinking about doing something is always harder than actually doing it.

I still have anxiety(and sometimes panic)when I go to the doctor, but, every eventually HAS to see a doctor, so I just force myself to go anyway.Sometimes I go a little early so I can walk around and find all the exits, to reassure myself. I have also sat in the waiting room and stayed in contact with my sister the entire time(via text). I also have xanax to take,as needed, but I would much rather deal with my phobia directly instead of relying on it.

I guess I should have asked this first...is your fear of the building itself or of doctors? My fear is of both. But I have really made alot of improvement by working on it instead of just saying I can't do it.

Retired

Would you elaborate on the exact nature of your fears and concerns with a bit more detail?

For example, do you think your fears originate from family or cultural issues, did you have a bad experience at some point when in contact with a medical professional, do you have concerns about your safety, about infections, about revealing personal information, about getting undressed in front of a doctor, concerned about pain, unknown illness, death?

No one here will judge you, so you can feel free to share your feelings about your issues. With some insights into the issues that concern you, we may be able to point you in a direction where you might get help.

Looking forward to hearing more about your situation.

Asuha

do you have concerns about your safety, about infections, about revealing personal information, about getting undressed in front of a doctor, concerned about pain, unknown illness, death?
All of the above. No idea how or why it started it just did when I was quite young.
is your fear of the building itself or of doctors?
The only reason I am afraid of the building is because of what's inside it.
I haven't really been able to try anything to help yet we have been trying to think of ways but haven't thought of much so far.
I suppose it might be helpful if I could go to therapy but I am even afraid of therapists. I guess because I have a really hard time talking to people about things and i am afraid they will label me as something I'm not and I wen't to one when I was younger because of my parents divorce and it wasn't a very good experience.

Asuha

I guess All the things I can think of to do I don't like so I don't really want to do anything about it and I wish I didn't have to. I guess I would like to figure out ways to feel a bit more positive about trying things because I know I should do something..

Retired

I think the first step might be an admission that the fears you feel are irrational and that you need some help to figure out ways to deal with them. It is not uncommon for people to develop irrational fears about a variety of subjects, some might less invasive in everyday life, but others can present significant obstacles to a healthy, productive and satisfying life.

In this day and age, everyone needs to have an organized program of preventative health care, because with today's medical knowledge, early detection is the keynote to living a long and healthy life.

Once you can admit to yourself your fears are irrational, then you need to find a way to get the help you need to resolve those issues..

Some important accomplishments in life need you to reach down deep for courage and commitment of purpose, and once you decide you want to take back control over your life, your quality of life will improve and you will have built strength of character that should help you meet future obstacles a lot easier. Right now, your fears are controlling your life.

I am even afraid of therapists. .......... when I was younger because of my parents divorce and it wasn't a very good experience.

Childhood experiences do not always reflect the same reality as adult experiences. As a child you may have been feeling vulnerable and unable to express yourself, while today, as an adult, you seem quite capable of articulating your issues.

Perhaps this might be the place to start, in locating a therapist for a meet and greet session, just to see if there might be a way you could get help with these issues. No commitment, just an exploratory visit.

Would you be willing to give it a try?

Asuha

I do know that my fears are irrational and somehow that doesn't make them go away. The therapist I seen when I was younger kept telling me that this was bugging me or that was bugging me when it wasn't and they didn't listen to what I really had to say it was so annoying! But I guess that was just one person and not everyone is the same. I guess I could try seeing one but I am not sure how to find one and I wonder if maybe my fiance could go with me at first. Maybe an exploratory visit wouldn't be so bad... I could probably try it. How do I find one? I could look it up on the internet but how do I know it's real then.

Retired

Let's face it, in every profession there are people with varying levels of skills and competence. As an adult, you are more confident, likely more assertive and are able to carry on a conversation with an adult therapist with a different perspective than when you seen as a child under what must have been a very stressful time for you.

I could probably try it. How do I find one (therapist)?

Let's see if might David offer some suggestions on how to locate a competent therapist in your area.

Asuha

I wan't to thank you for taking the time to reply I know this probably seems like a silly problem. I really appreciate it this is the first time I have had other's opinions and it's given me some new ways to think of things. I think I probably can figure this out. So thank you.

Yes hun your finance going with you for your first session would be a great idea Your therapist would not mind and if you need support for awhile that would be ok then once you feel more comfortable then you can attend sessions on your own

Retired

I know this probably seems like a silly problem

Not at all Asuha. If a problem is important to you and causes you concern, then you owe it to yourself to investigate the possibilities and options you have to resolve the problem.

Once you know your options, you can then make an informed choice to evaluate the benefits of receiving therapy or treatment versus how your life might be affected if you did nothing.

You cannot make an informed decision without first investigating your options, and the truth is, you may be pleasantly surprised at what you discover.

Be sure you are not the first person who may have experienced this kind of fear or concern, and be assured there are treatment strategies that can help you.

It's up to you to act on the good information you have been provided to take control of your life.

Keep us informed on your progress.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.