More threads by BluMac81

BluMac81

Quick question for you all, when you are depressed, what is the most ideal media (music, tv) to try and be entertained by? Like say I'm depressed driving down the street and I have the option of listening to an upbeat Christian radio station or a hardcore emo rock station, which would better help to 'bring me out of my depression' so to speak? Cause on one end, listening to upbeat happy songs while you are depressed, from my experience, makes you feel even more depressed because you realize that there are happy people in the world and you ask the question of 'What is wrong with me? blah blah blah etc.' Whereas the hard rock you can indeed relate to, with words of pain and sorrow in every lyric. But in the long run, which is better?

I ask this also because lately I've been on this 'Oz' kick, you know, the prison show, with horrid acts of violence and every imaginable nastiness there is, but I enjoy it. I don't know though, if I should continue watching it now as the severity of my depression has become greater, which is what brought me to this very question.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I have been triggered into Depression and racing thoughs by external factors.

I once was reading the book A Million Little Pieces and found it way too triggering. It was causing me to feel depressed and my racing thoughts were preventing me from sleeping. I had to stop reading the book.

Could the show you are watching making you feel more down do you think?

Sometimes dark thoughts are brought on by triggers. It is surely not the root of all our depression, but I find avoiding "depressing" things helps at times.

I do like music, for sure. But like you I find it can be make me feel worse to hear happy songs and worse to hear sad songs too. Alternatively I listen to the sound music CD's of natural sounds like waves, or birds chirping. (I am not sure what they are called those CD's) Or I listen to music with no singing. Instermental music.

:hug: for you BluMac, I see your mood. Sorry you are so sad. :support:

Halo

BluMac,

That is an interesting question however I wonder why you only provide two types of music as a source of lifting your depression? While I am all one for listening to music when I am depressed (even though writing is my first choice), I usually will put on music from my past that has brought good memories and I can relive those good feelings.

I find that if I go to the hard-core rock type thing it usually increases my anger. To be honest, I never thought of upbeat happy songs as increasing my depression.

With listening to music that I know has provided that happy time before it brings a sense of comfort to know that I will get back to that again and being connected with good memories usually overrides the bad ones.

Jazzey

Account Closed
Hi BluMac,

When i'm really low, I usually try to watch a comedy. Something that I know will have me laugh, even if just a little bit. I stay away from any tv shows or movies that are going to help me to stay in my fog. Also, I tend to now watch tv when I'm depressed because I find the commercials are just long enough to have me space out and to focus on my thoughts.

As for music, I listen to classical - no lyrics. But i try to have something on because otherwise, the silence also allows me to focus on my thoughts and rock music, during those times, really agitate me rather than lift my spirits. I also like listening to jazz when I'm down...:)

Take good care of yourself BluMac. :) I hope that you get out of your depressed mood very soon. :support:

If I am trying to escape thoughts that won't leave me alone, I find music you can sing along to is the key. It doesn't really matter if the music is upbeat or not - but I do want it to be familiar tunes...I play it loud enough that it will drown out my thoughts (and overpower my offkey singing voice!) - and by singing the words, your mind is focusing on remembering the words so can't be busy with other thoughts. If I am trying to improve my mood (and not just escape), something funny on tv will help - but a sad program will just drive me into a deeper depression.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Like say I'm depressed driving down the street...

BTW, in such cases where concentration is important:

"I would recommend not listening to music that is overly engaging - stuff that is in your face like 'Oh, listen to me; I'm really complicated and interesting,'" he said. "The music they play in shopping malls and restaurants [is ideal]."

The psychology of studying - Psychlinks
Similarly, white noise or nature sounds (like NicNak was saying) may have the same beneficial effects for concentration, though maybe not for driving as they may be too relaxing. A software program I am currently using for generating such background nature sounds is Aire Freshener (for Windows) which I saw mentioned here (though I don't have tinnitus).

Daniel added later:

BluMac81 said:
in the long run, which is better?
Not the emo music :) It's one thing for a song to validate one's current emotional state, and quite another to become, in the long term, part of some dark-side-of-life culture, especially at a time when one's negative thinking isn't being sufficiently challenged. So I would rather listen to non-vocal music than something emo-ish.

Last edited:

Halo

Not the emo music :) It's one thing for a song to validate one's current emotional state, and quite another to become, in the long term, part of some dark-side-of-life culture, especially at a time when one's negative thinking isn't being sufficiently challenged. So I would rather listen to non-vocal music than something emo-ish.

I agree with what Daniel is saying here and agree that listening to emo-ish music could possibly encourage your negative/dark thinking. I am not saying that it will but it is a possibility and honestly....why risk it.

amastie

...I never thought of upbeat happy songs as increasing my depression..
It obviously varies. I find happy songs can help but more than anything, songs that move or inspire me. My choice of music goes way back to music of the forties and fifties so it's not so likely to be of the same help perhaps as other music is for you. Examples for me are Andy Williams singing the theme music for "Exodus", Vic Damone singing "Ebbtide", John Gary singing "Too ra loo ra loo ral", or (more recent music), Barbra Streisand singing "I Believe".

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.