More threads by Been there Done that

I am often plagued by obsessive fears of losing it and comitting suicide. I never want to hurt myself. In fact, I was so plagued by these thoughts that I nearly vomited last Monday. I was dizzy and my legs were heavy. To make matters worse, I am terrified of vomiting! I had my head over the toilet bowl and suddenly my stomach started growling_LOL!

I am still kicking myself for this, but I knew that the last time I was in a hospital a man nearly vomited so they gave him antinausea meds so he didnt vomit. I called 911 and let an ambulance take me to the hospital so I wouldnt be able to thow up.They pumped me full of IVs and I never threw up. This is a dumb thing to do. I came back home with more obsessive thoughts about suicide. The more I resisted the more the thoughts came.

Has anyone had a simililar experience? I think I am a hypochondriac and forgiving myself for overreacting was not easy!

PS. Dr. Baxter have you read all the posts on this site? I am curious.

:confused:

I can believe you. This is my most favorite site one the internet. Its exciting communicatin from the US all the way to Canada. Keep up the good work!

Been There Done That

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Obsessing about suicide without being depressed is mentioned in this book:

Freedom from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: A Personalized Recovery Program for Living with Uncertainty by Jonathan Grayson

As the title suggests and like some other books on OCD and anxiety, the main goal of the book is to help one increase one's tolerance of uncertainty.

A related point is that anxiety-related avoidance behaviors can cause one to miss out on a lot of stuff that provides quality of life:

"OCD affected every part of my life -- emotionally, sexually, professionally, mentally," Barone said. "I missed so much."

"Imagine 60 years of this stuff," Potter said. "This guy had his life robbed from him. And at this point, that's what he's dealing with."

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/22150-years-of-life-lost-to-ocd.html

Kobayashi

I obsess about obsessing. OCD seems to be the primary focus in my life along with meds etc. Its funny, because those around me are barely aware of it - kind of like I'm living a double life. Anyway - when my OCD gets really bad and I feel down, I sometimes worry that I will spiral down into some sort of crazy psychosis and hurt myself. I know this to be non-sense and ridiculous as I too love life...my family, my wife etc.

Keep the faith!

Does this thought come to your mind nonstop(as in every minute) How have you coped with such thoughts? I find them very annoying.
Do a lot of people with OCD have thoughts that they may hurt themselves but they NEVER do?

Overactive imagination

I have a problem. I have obsessive thoughts about death, what would happen if I was gone. To make matters worse, the more I had those self harming obsesssions, the more I would end up in a hospital (4 times in 5 months).

My psych and also my therapist says that is really a lot of time in a hospital. I never act on these obsessive thoughts but I am very nervous about those self-harm thoughts I am trying to get rid of.

Am I the only one who has been hospitalized that many times in a short time?

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks. :2thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had much of the time thoughts of suicide and I dont want to carry it out. I want to live a long time but my imagination is imagining too much. How to scoot those thoughts out of my mind would be appreciated

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Just to clarify something in this year-old thread:

How to scoot those thoughts out of my mind would be appreciated

Of course, trying to get rid of the thoughts is the problem, not the solution, as you noted in your first post of this thread: "The more I resisted the more the thoughts came."

But I noticed some days are really bad and some days are really good(with hardly a thought at all) My therapist tells me that I have self-control and does not believe that I would overdose on pills or any other such thing. The bad days it seems like it is every minute I have these obsessions about suicide. In fact on those days I research on google (OCD suicidal thoughts) and seek reassurance that I am not this way(suicidal):coffee:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.