More threads by sparkely

sparkely

I have never told my story to any one because I'm embarrassed - wow, I cant spell ha ha - but I have had anxiety for many years now. But about 2 years ago I didn't really have anxiety, I had no clue what a panic attack was, even a true anxiety attack was. I was to my psych and she gave me CIPRALEX!!!!!! bad bad bad bad... I'm very very little and I was at that time also, she gave me a high dose I believe and I took it and about 3 hours later, I had every single symptom you get with that drug... i know just my damn luck.

Then all of a sudden this drug put me in a huge anxiety attack every 3 mins with severe nausea and lasting for about 3-4 minutes. This went on for about 4-5 hours!!!! I called 911. I never had attacks like that before so the ambulance came about 5 minutes after I called them. When they got there I was in such distress I couldn't walk any more. My legs completely gave out!!! It was brutal. They put me on oxygen and basically I waited for the doc all alone because I didn't want my husband around me.

Anyways when the doc came he told me he had never seen this and I have to wait about 24 hours before the drug is completely out of my system. So the attacks died down slowly throughout that day but even the next day I would have an anxiety attack every couple of hours. So days passed and I don't know what happened but I was sooo scared of this Cipralex drug getting into my body again that I would refuse to eat and barely drink anything for a couple months. I lost about 15 pounds.

My husband helped me a lot and everything I drank he would have to, so I would know that there was no Cipralex in anything. Over time I was able to drink and eat all by myself again, which is good. More time passed and I got completely over it but it was so damn traumatizing to me that to this day every so often I think there may be drugs in my food or whatever else. I don't have mental illness besides anxiety which I have overcome so much and I believe I have done so much work on myself. I am almost cured but I'm wondering would that be considered pts? If so will I ever get over the whole drug thing??? I'm not like that now but every so often I have a weird thought like that..

anyways hope anyone can help

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazzey

Account Closed
Re: im still a bit confused.

Hi Sparkely,

I also take an anti-depressant. I've never heard of Cipralex having this type of side effect. In fact, the literature seems to suggest that it's one of the SSRIs with the least side effects. Cipralex

I'm wondering if anything else was going on that day. Maybe your reaction had nothing to do with the medication? Just wondering.

You ask if it could be part of PTSD. I have PTSD but I can usually point to something more physical which triggers my panic attacks; someone approaching me from behind and I don't hear them or see them, or sometimes, certain situations can be very triggering for me. That would trigger a panic attack where I can hardly speak (or if I do, I stutter) and I get the shakes.

Other than the doctor at emerg, have you ever gone back to the doctor who prescribed the cipralex to discuss your reaction to it? Have you ever tried another SSRI?

sparkely

Re: im still a bit confused.

ya exactly, I heard that drug had the least side effects also. hahaha no nothing was going on that day i was actually excited that my "anxiety" would be no more boy was i wrong, but thats okay everyone reacts differently. It wasn't my drug i suppose. panic attacks are vicious thats for sure. no i haven't tried anything else after that drug i was so terrified that would happen again i took it upon my own self. and even now i see counselors and i have completely educated myself on anxiety and i have really really have become a lot better.

When i went to the person who prescribed me that drug she bluffed me off and gave me techniques to use to come down from the anxiety attacks she did not really care so i left and never saw her again. I say natural is the way to go.!! for now anyways ha ha

Jazzey

Account Closed
I'm happy you were able to find coping strategies to deal with your anxiety. :) Some people, myself included, aren't at a point where I can do it without the help of an SSRI. In fact, I just had my dosage increased to help me deal with my anxiety as I learn other coping mechanisms to deal with it. :)

sparkely

thank you. really hey. thats intense for sure. I can really relate to ANYONE who has any kind of anxiety i knwo exactly how horribly powerful it is. and alot of people i know they dont get it, and my expeirences with anxiety you get weird bad thoughts well you really cant tell anyone about that because most people will think your off your rocker when really its completly normal with any kinf of anxiety. please feel free to ask me anything if your having hard times i can tell you i have been through hell and back for many years with this crap and im only 21 i have had anxiety since i was 11 and in the last 2 years or so i have delt all on my own. so i know alot of good techniques and what helps and what doesnt. i dont knwo what kidn of anxiety your dealing with but if you need to talk about anything ... thoughts shakin attackt anything, just ask!!! hope your doing better with the higher dosage:2thumbs:

Lana

What was the reason for the Cipralex prescription, Sparkley? I'm sorry, I'm not understanding what exactly were you treated for initially. Were you suffering from depression? Were you taking any other meds (or supplements) at the time??

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.