More threads by ^^Phoenix^^

I just wanted a thread that I could winge and moan about my appitite increase. I've put on some weight now and thats adding to my depression! weird cycle of events, but the meds have helped so I'm just making myself more aware about the chemicals help in wanting to eat everything including plate, table, b/f, fork.... lol, ok, so I wouldn't eat the cutlery... that would be going to far. But I think about something that would satisfy me, try to think about the food, i.e. cheese, do I really want cheese? If the answer is yes, I figure I probably want some dairy of some sort, so will go and have something... and usually that would be enough. Well I just had two grilled cheese tomatoe and weiner's, and I'm ANNOYED that they've gone already. I know I'm full... but gosh im hungry.
Sa-Wings and round abouts! Well, at least I'm laughing about the situation now. I guess when my dog ARRIVES (ON SUNDAY BUT WHOSE COUNTING) it'll get me out of the house on a more regular basis.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Talk to your doctor about this, too, Phoenix. That's a well-known side-effect of Remeron for many people, unfortunately, and it's not like that's your only choice for medications.

Retired

Perhaps your doctor was using the term SSRI as a generic term to describe anti depresssant medications..like saying kleenex to describe facial tissue :confused:

For even more detailed information on Remeron have a look at the RxList Site which in my view provides even more detailed info. Note the tabs in the blue banner up top for the various categories of information.

You can try the Organon Site, if you have the drug's DIN number to enter their information site

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's a newer type of antidepressant but closer to SSRIs than the olderb style. Wellbutrin is another medication that technically is not an SSRI but is usually considered part of that family.

Either way, switching from Remeron to one of the "true" SSRIs isn't a difficult transition for most people, based on experience with clients. But as always talk to yoiur doctor about it.

Retired

Re: Increased Appetite

The Medicine-Net article states:

{This class of medications} {tetracyclic antidepressants} increase the amount of norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain. Norepinephrine and serotonin are neurotransmitters, chemicals that nerves use to communicate with each other

which is pretty much the mode of action of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, so I can see how it would be closely associated with SSRI's.

Thanks for the clarification, David ;)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
That dual mode of action is also true for Effexor, which also inhibits the uptake of both serotonin and norepinephrine - technically Effexor is an SSRI/SNRI but it's often referred to as either an SNRI or an SSRI.

In the end, these are just basically acronyms to describe medications with a certain similarity in mode of action.

braveheart

Hi. I'm on remeron, have been for nearly a year. I did get the munchies initially, but after about a month or so on it they eased off. So there is hope! (I was also on efexor at the time though) but even so now my appetite is pretty normal. I hope maybe they settle for you too. (I also have had no problem with weight gain, except to finally come up to a healthy BMI from being on the edge of anorexia.)

Thanks BH,

I am noticing a slight wean in the munchies, perhaps you're right and It'll get better! I'll post in a few weeks again, and update you.

braveheart

:)

do you take it last thing at night? I take it about an hour before. it was then I'd want chocolate, nuts, cereal, anything sweet. it only happens once in a while now. (usually with PMT!)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.