More threads by Banned

Banned

Banned
For those of you who don't know, I'm self-employed with a staff of six. I haven't really had morale problems for about 18 months (the first 18 months of having my business were rough!)

Anyway, my staff recently asked me if they could have a star chart for when they go "above and beyond". I said "sure" (we're all really six years old at heart so why not?!).

Since implementing this star chart, productivity has sky-rocketed, my staff are taking initiative, making decisions, and being alot less dependent on me and more dependent on their ability to use their own brain (I used to remind them that I didn't hire them because they're stupid).

I'm just really amazed...I didn't know it would have such a great effect. They just phoned me and told me to hurry up and get in so they could show me what they did.

I feel alot more comfortable now on days off, and when I take holidays, because I don't feel like I have to babysit them. They've shown me that have the brainpower, and they just needed an opportunity to shine.

Once again I look forward to going to work, because I don't have to do everything myself and everyone is always in a good mood. It's been really, really good for my own mental health and depression.

Just thought I'd share.... :)

Banned

Banned
Thanks. There's been some major learning curves for me, and I still have alot to learn about being a good boss, but it's coming, slowly but surely. Alot of it has had to do with my own growth and mental health.

gardens

Wow Turtle - Great idea!
Something so simple - yet really such a basic need we all have....to be recognized, appreciated, honoured, respected.

A little star can and obviously does the trick.

I promote you to be boss of the planet! :shock4: ...but no pressure or anything:lol:

Banned

Banned
Haha. It seems to be working...they're always asking if they'll get a star for doing this or that odd job lol.

It actually all started because my therapist was having trouble getting me to take my meds, so I asked him to make me a star chart and give me a star for taking them, which he did. I told my staff and they were like "we want a star chart too!!!" so I made them one. Now they're all excited about it. And I bought them all Kinder Egg Advent Calendars today so now they're all excited about that too. I wasn't kidding when I said we're really a bunch of six year olds at heart. :lol:

I don't think I can handle being boss of the planet, but thanks :). I'm still trying to handle being boss of six people.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.