More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Inflammatory disease linked to depression
July 28, 2004

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (United Press International) -- U.S. researchers said they have found evidence of a strong chemical relationship between inflammatory diseases, immunotherapy and depression.

Researchers at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign found a molecular pathway affected by inflammatory diseases and immunotherapy that is associated with the brain chemical serotonin. Serotonin is a mood regulator that tends to be depleted by such diseases and by cytokines, which are injected in immunotherapy.

Depressive disorders occur in 12 percent to 30 percent of patients with inflammatory conditions such as coronary heart disease, as well as autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. The disorders usually are attributed to psychological problems brought on by the diseases, but the researchers said their studies indicate the depression actually may originate in the immune system.

Immunotherapy is used to treat thousands of cancer patients and hundreds of thousands of hepatitis C patients.

"The occurrence of depression in cytokine-treated patients indicates that treatment must be discontinued since depressed patients can commit suicide," researchers said.

Kanadiana

Interesting ... depression/autoimmune

Depressive disorders occur in 12 percent to 30 percent of patients with
inflammatory conditions such as coronary heart disease, as well as autoimmune
diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. The disorders usually are attributed to
psychological problems brought on by the diseases, but the researchers said
their studies indicate the depression actually may originate in the immune
system.

Hi. Interesting article, and I, personally, won't argue with the idea that depression can be linked to autoimmune disorders. I've suspected my depressions have different roots. History. Health issues. Genetics?

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis many years ago, add reynauds phenomena, sjogrens syndrome, tendonitis (calcific at times) bursitis ... on and on it bloody goes.

Irritible bowel is normal on my paternal side, I've had issues with that as well. I didn't know Dad's side had problems with this til many years after I was told I do. Never raised or knew dads medical history etc.

I suspect I've fibromyalgia too, other people who have it said it sounds like I do too. Not surprizing with the other physical isuues I have. Do have little flares of facial neuralgia. Don't know why.

Depression ... ouch. I figure I have depressions directly resulting from the health issues themselves perhaps, also as a RESULT of howthe issues make m feeland whatthey've done to my life on MANY levels, also have alwys hadtroubls with depression anyways.

Chilhoodand some other later events left me with having to deal with chronic .... complex ptsd. Most "intense"time of that up HUGE upchuck was about age 35. I'm now 50.

Hormonal times put me through extra intense times. Starting menses. Post partum. Menopause.

Some is life and psychology ... some is biology, or biochemical I'm sure. Depressing? Yep. And YES I have tried suicide. Am glad I'm still here,so are some other people.

Body-Mind connections ... works both ways right? :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yes.

One interesting link between all these conditions is the finding that increasing omega-3 essential fatty acids in the diet (by altering food selections or adding supplements) seems to benefit sufferers of inflammatory disorders like arthritis and lupus and FMS as well as individuals suffering from depression, anxiety disorders, and possibly attention deficit disorder, among others. What isn't entirely clear yet is how the omega-3 EFAs link these rather divergent (at least on the surface) disorders or problems.

Kanadiana

Wow ... quickcomeback :)

David Baxter said:
Yes.

One interesting link between all these conditions is the finding that increasing omega-3 essential fatty acids in the diet (by altering food selections or adding supplements)

Wow, fast comeback there David. Thank you. Now can yah tell me, or direct me to info about what foods/supplements these would be? I'd appreciate it :)

Are you typically a night owl or just working late shift?

:)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: Wow ... quickcomeback :)

Kanadiana said:
Now can yah tell me, or direct me to info about what foods/supplements these would be? I'd appreciate it
Some information here at http://www.psychlinks.ca/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=753.

Also:
Erasmus, Udo. Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill: The Complete Guide to Fats, Oils, Cholesterol, and Human Health. Alive Books, 1993

Christensen, Larry B. Diet-Behavior Relationships: Focus on Depression. American Psychological Association, 1996

Hillbrand, Marc, & Spitz, Reuben T. Lipids, Health, and Behavior. American Psychological Association, 1997

The latter two are rather technical...

Also, there are several good links in these Google search results.

Are you typically a night owl or just working late shift?
A bit of both - my natural circadian rythym is "night owl" though... ;o)

Having said that, I am off to get some sleep. Night!

Kanadiana

Thanks a lot... I'll read up on this. Traditional meds are a drag causing more problems that need other bad meds. I went on strike except for occasional anti-inflamms ... sigh. 6 of on, half a doz of the other.
Plaquenil long time. Gold injections long time. Enough! I figured I should stop before I turned the needles on the poor lab people. :eek: ENGAURD!

Circadian clock... just learned the meaning of that last night after my sweetheart used it. I went..."Huh? wassat?" Funny.

Sleep well nightowl ... hoot hoot :p

Ash

David Baxter said:
Yes.

One interesting link between all these conditions is the finding that increasing omega-3 essential fatty acids in the diet (by altering food selections or adding supplements) seems to benefit sufferers of inflammatory disorders like arthritis and lupus and FMS as well as individuals suffering from depression, anxiety disorders, and possibly attention deficit disorder, among others. What isn't entirely clear yet is how the omega-3 EFAs link these rather divergent (at least on the surface) disorders or problems.

There's also a link between Bipolar Disorder and Omega-3. I know people who swear by Omega-3 and the affect it has on their mood disorders. I know I would rather take those than regular meds if I knew there would be an improvement.

I remember reading a theory on why mood disorders and ADHD have become so epidemic (probably a bad word). It's believed that we're seeing more of those because of the lack of Omega-3 in people's diets. I believe there has been research done where cultures whose diet consists of a lot of fish don't suffer from these issues as much.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Ash said:
There's also a link between Bipolar Disorder and Omega-3. I know people who swear by Omega-3 and the affect it has on their mood disorders. I know I would rather take those than regular meds if I knew there would be an improvement.

I remember reading a theory on why mood disorders and ADHD have become so epidemic (probably a bad word). It's believed that we're seeing more of those because of the lack of Omega-3 in people's diets. I believe there has been research done where cultures whose diet consists of a lot of fish don't suffer from these issues as much.
Yes -- all very correct. Unlike many claims for alternative medicine, this one seems to have a lot of evidence to back it up. I also have had clients who seem to have found some benefit from increasing dietary omega-3 or adding supplements, either as an adjunct to medication or even in less severe cases as an alternative to medication.

Ash

Shoot. I suppose I should start taking the pills that have been sitting on my bathroom sink then. :)

Ash

Kanadiana said:
Ash said:
Shoot. I suppose I should start taking the pills that have been sitting on my bathroom sink then. :)

BIG FAT GRIN ... Hi Ash ... I have some of those ornaments too :)

Ugh. I don't even take my asthma/allergy meds because I am SO SICK OF PILLS! To add those huge, horse pills would be too much. Anyway, I digress. Maybe.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Dear Ash:

We at Equines Anonymous take exception to disparaging remarks such as your use of the term "horse pills" in a negative context. Please consider this an official "cease and desist" order.

Sincerely,

Secretariat
Equines Anonymous
Kentucky

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.