More threads by quirkycanuck

I am convinced... after years of denial... that I likely have a depression-related mood disorder. I realize there's a whole plethora of different disorders that can be lumped under depression. My issue is I have a hard time getting my thoughts organized for talking to my doctor.

Can anyone give me a list of talking points I should bring up with my family doctor to help him in his diagnosis during a 20-25 minute meeting? What should I expect from him? What should I have ready for him?

Any guidance on how to approach psychological issues with a family doctor would be greatly appreciated. It's not something I have a comfort level with and I get very confused which doesn't help.

QuirkyCanuck

Sparrow

Hello QC,

A list of talking points? I think everyones "checklist" might vary, but I know what you mean.

Think of...appetite, sleep, emotions, detached feelings or emptiness, sadness, hopelessness, self-esteem, substance abuse, self-harm, co-workers, relationships... I probably forgot something big.

But just be yourself, and it's o.k. to cry.

Chances are your G.P. will just refer you though, if it's warranted.

Meg

Dr. Meg, Global Moderator, Practitioner
MVP
Hi there,

It's good to be prepared for the appointment, but remember that it's the doctor's job to ask questions if they want to know about something you don't mention. Your job is to be as open as you can about how you've been feeling and to answer any questions. Sparrow and healthbound gave some good pointers, but don't stress too much about remembering it all.

I hope it will be a helpful visit.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.