More threads by David Baxter PhD

Re: IE7 bugs, glitches, and fixes

I uninstalled I.E 7 today, I tryed to put up with it, but since I installed it a few odd things have been happening on top of the fact I cant use my Wincleaner. I was quite shocked after removing to find that there where 279 invalid registry items on my computer, which Im sure have something to do with IE7, I run my spyware checker/virus checker and Wincleaner daily and very rarely find a thing, Ive removed them all and now my computer is working fine as is some of my software. Just after I had removed it, I had a reminder to install it again:eek: :eek: :eek:

Retired

I had a reminder to install it again

The reminder has an option to hide the reminder in the future. However when you access Windows Update, you will be told you have an update reminder hidden.

I plan to hold off with IE7 until the very last minute.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Odd. The new interface took a bit of getting used to and a bit of customizing but it's so much more stable than IE6 for me.

Retired

Odd. The new interface took a bit of getting used to and a bit of customizing but it's so much more stable than IE6 for me.

I suspect there may be a dll originally installed by Dell that may have interfered with IE7 for me. I located something that needs investigation.

I know my system is clean {virus and spyware free} however there was some functionality of IE7 that was uncontrollable, such as the search engine function.

There was also some unexpected bizarre interaction with my email client.

I could not get adequate support from the email client maker, though my past experience is that even though they don't admit to deficiencies, the issues magically clear up in a later revision. :D

Because of other obligations, I could not spend the time on working out the browser issues, but will get back to it when this flurry of other activity subsides. ;)

There are not enough hours in the day :dimples:

Thanks for the link, my computer is working fine today, and I didnt get the message telling me that the connection files for AOL needed reinstalling, Ive had that every day since i upgrated to IE7, back to normal now:)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

100 Million IE7 Installations!

I’m pleased to report that on January 8th, we had the 100 millionth IE7 installation. However, even more important than installations is usage. According to WebSideStory (the company we use to measure browser usage), as of this week, over 25% of all visitors to websites in the US were using IE7, making IE7 the second most used browser after IE6. We expect these numbers to continue to rise as we complete our final localized versions, scale up AU distribution, and with the consumer availability of Windows Vista on January 30, 2007.

If you haven’t installed IE7 for Windows XP yet, you can download it here. You won’t need to download it for Windows Vista as it has IE7 built in with all the same features as the XP version, plus Protected Mode.

Tony Chor
Group Program Manager

momof5

I haven't updated yet, not sure if I want to.

I might put it on the kids pc upstairs so that I can see what pages look like on both 6&7.

Halo

I have to say that I just put IE7 on my mom's computer downstairs and I was seriously scared to do it :panic: The reason is not because of any bugs or glitches but because she just began using the internet about a year ago and just got use to IE6.

Much to my surprise, she has gotten use to it pretty fast and with having me on speed dial as her tech support it has worked out great. She actually doesn't see a huge difference and likes it a lot :yahoo:

Its okay Momof5, take the plunge....it is not as scary as you think :D

momof5

LOL@Nancy,
I'm not scared to do it, I just need IE6 and 7 and I don't wish to try to run both on one machine, though know it is possible.

I'm waiting for son to get a new lap top, when he does, he is shipping me the one he has now. So what I will do is put IE7 on that one and leave 6 on here. Testing purposes. heh.

Halo

Oh cool....I didn't realize that you needed both. I just thought that you were merely nervous about downloading IE7 and I wanted to be reassuring that it was pretty good.

Great idea about the laptop, I hope you get it soon :)

I still like it, but, and this is probably going to sound stupid, it seems like I get a lot more "internet explorer cannot display the webpage" messages. I am on dialup and expect slowness, but I didn't get this that often before I downloaded IE 7.

Is it possibly causing this loading problem?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hmmm... I don't think so. There is again a LOT of spam and viruses circulating over the past while which is probably slowing down connection speeds and increasing time-outs. I don't know of any reason why IE7 should be any more susceptible than IE6 (or Firefox for that matter).

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.