More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Internet Explorer 7 Update
October 4, 2007

Almost a year ago, we released Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP. Since then, IE7 is well on its way to becoming the most used browser in the world, and we?ve seen lots of evidence that IE7 makes it safer and easier to accomplish everyday tasks online. For example, the built-in Phishing Filter has protected consumers from known phishing web sites an average of 900,000 times per week. IE7 is the first ? and still the only ? browser with native support for Extended Validation SSL Certificates that help prevent online fraud. (Of course, tabbed browsing, QuickTabs, shrink-to-fit printing, an easily customizable search box, CSS improvements, and some add-ons are all good things too.)

Because Microsoft takes its commitment to help protect the entire Windows ecosystem seriously, we?re updating the IE7 installation experience to make it available as broadly as possible to all Windows users. With today?s ?Installation and Availability Update,? Internet Explorer 7 installation will no longer require Windows Genuine Advantage validation and will be available to all Windows XP users. If you are not already running IE7, you can get it now from the Internet Explorer home page on Microsoft.com, get a customized version from a third-party site, or, if you haven?t already received it via Automatic Updates, this version will be delivered to you as we described previously. If you are already running IE7, you will not be offered IE7 again by Automatic Updates.

Additionally, we?ve made minor changes to IE7 for Windows XP based on customer feedback:

• The menu bar is now visible by default.
  • The Internet Explorer 7 online tour has updated how-to?s. Also, the ?first-run? experience includes a new overview.
  • We?ve included a new MSI installer that simplifies deployment for IT administrators in enterprises. Learn more about it here.

I use Firefox and love it. I love the tabbed browsing and the the shared developing concept.

I've seen IE7 on my Mum's computer and those at work. It looks very similar now that's tabbed browsing.

I still have my old IE (whatever number it is) for emergencies as some websites aren't viewable through FF or Opera.

Bones

I use Firefox and like it too.
And I use the tabs feature a lot too.
I've seen IE7 at the University I go to, but I prefer to stick to non-microsoft software and products whenever possible! :D

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.