More threads by Into The Light

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Re: The Highly Sensitive Person

Good question. I believe the answer is no, not all introverts are necessarily highly sensitive as defined by the author (i.e., HSP).

In fact, I can think of people I know personally who are introverts where I would not consider them to be HSP.

Jazzey

Account Closed

I consider myself an introvert ITL. And I also consider myself to be highly sensitive - petrified of hurting anyone.

Maybe it's just personality?

that's just it jazzey.. 70% of HSPs are introverts - so most of us are highly sensitive introverts. i find it an odd concept that someone might be an introvert but not be highly sensitive. but you're right.. could just be personality.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

It's just one of the basic personality styles. One could as easily ask what makes extraverts exytraverted. :)

Jazzey

Account Closed

..Wanting to be around people, wanting to get to know people...I think. I used to need to be around other people. Loved getting to know them. NOw, I'm just as happy in my home without that contact. All of my hobbies are not solos... (I think)

ladylore

Account Closed

I was told by my therapist once that being introverted or extroverted is about how we process information. If someone is introverted and you ask them a question they will usually say they need to think about it, or take a few seconds - minutes to think about it the answer you.

Extroverts have more of a need to talk things through.

I think being introverted sometimes predisposes people to be an HSP too as they have a fantastic internal world all of there own.

Of course I wouldn't know anything about that. :D

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

That's pretty accurate, I'd say. It (introversion-extraversion) is a basic temperament dimension, affecting how one approaches learning about and interacting with the world.

Extraverts tend to be more outgoing, more impulsive, and act more on feelings and "hunches" or "gut feelings". Introverts tend to be more reflective, perferring to identify and consider all available alternatives before acting or reacting, trusting cognition more than feelings when it comes to decision making or problem solving.

Jazzey

Account Closed

I think both are correct ITL...But I'll let others way in on this one...

Jazzey

Account Closed

And might I add that you just may have made Daniel your biggest fan....Just sayin' :D

Jazzey

Account Closed

:lol: No, I hadn't noticed them - thanks for pointing them out. That made me laugh this morning. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.