More threads by tryindbt

tryindbt

I have another question. This is completely separate from the meds...I was once seeing a therapist and she was a therapist that practiced cognitive therapy and was available on Saturdays. Which was good for me since i traveled a lot. I got upset with this therapist and stopped seeing her. This is one of those instances in which I thought ...maybe I have pmdd..so the scenario is this and i want to know if you guys think this is a reason to be upset or not.

I was seeing this therapist, her time limit was different than most, it was 45 or 50 min. which is less than I have seen before, usually it's 60mins. From the research I did when I was looking for someone, but I liked that she was available on Saturdays and practiced cognitive therapy. So, anyway, a problem came up. Since I travel so much, I usually pay things with my credit card. she did not accept cc's, it was cash or checks. Usually, I would pay her prior to or after visiting her office using online banking. She even offered phone therapy sometimes when I was out of state and could not come into her office. So, I liked how flexible she was. BUT, I made some mistakes in my payments either paying to late or forgetting. And, this was wrong- but not intentional (that I know of). So, then she wanted to discuss this in therapy and I did not. I wanted to discuss my issues in therapy, but she wanted to discuss the payment in therapy. This bothered me because I thought that any discussion on how I can pay her is a business conversation that needs to be done outside of therapy. She said this was part of therapy because it impacted our relationship as a therapist/client. BUT, I thought, no- I am paying to discuss issues I have and things I want to discuss- and if we are going to discuss payment that needs to be outside of therapy. It's not a personal issue. It's a business issue. Anyway, I got upset that she said this and was saying that it needed to be discussed in therapy because I felt like she was using my time and vulnerability to discuss things that should be discussed outside of therapy. And, because I let myself become vulnerable, trusting, and open to her..I felt she was using that to tell me why this is an issue to discuss in therapy..and then that I would believe it! So, i stopped seeing her. Do you guys think that was wrong? Do you think it is appropriate to discuss payment issues in therapy or outside therapy?

I always second guess myself, never really trusting my instincts, etc. But, I thought that maybe this was an over-reaction. Maybe this was pmdd, because it was around that time. Not sure, so I need some help and outside opinions.

tryindbt

Re: I got fired!

Payment issue question --- Yes, I only asked that because it was an example of a situation I thought was induced by pmdd and moodiness..and I don't know if it is a wrong or good decision..and if it was a wrong decision, maybe I can go back to that therapist since she was available on saturdays. If I start working again and can go back to therapy, I might not have any other day available.

But that caused a disruption in my life and I don't know if I did something wrong. I wanted the opinion of an outside objective party.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

I do think that I might have pmdd, so I am going to ask to be tested for that. It's best to ask than wonder. But, now I have to wait till I get another job that will provide some benefits. I'm just thinking ahead of myself..it's better than being depressed about what just happened, right?

And I was just thinking if my reaction to that was okay or not. I didn't yell and cause a fit, but I just thought it was no appropriate and decided not to see her anymore and I did tell her why I decided that.

tryindbt

If anyone can give me their objective thoughts on this, it would help. Anyone think that it's okay to discuss the payment of therapy in the session?

Andy

MVP
If anyone can give me their objective thoughts on this, it would help. Anyone think that it's okay to discuss the payment of therapy in the session?

Personally I agree with you. I think if your paying fro therapy that's what you should get. I'm sure she could have taken five minutes before or after your scheduled time, to address whatever issues she had. This is all in the past though right? ;)

tryindbt

Yes, it IS in the past. :) But, like in many of my encounters...I doubt that I did the right thing...I wonder, did I over-react? Etc..etc..And, I was wondering because I know this person is available for Saturday therapy sessions. I'm just planning for the future and hopefully, if I get another job soon...I will be able to pay for therapy and find someone that is available on Saturdays..This person, I know is available on Saturdays, but I didn't like how she behaved..and then she wanted to discuss why I got upset about what she suggested, etc. But I also thought that she could take 5 minutes before or after to discuss the payment thing.

Thanks for your input STP! I appreciate it. It makes me feel a bit better..I've always wondered about that..and I'm glad at least one other person agrees with me. :)

Good question, tryindbt. I can't definitively say whether you were right or wrong, not knowing you or your therapist nor all the facts, but I can tell you what I do as a therapist. I talk about all business issues within the session. All of them. Scheduling, payment, insurance forms, receipts, future vacations, the whole enchilada, all during my 50 minute sessions, and preferably right at the beginning. Why? Two reasons: the first is practical, I work on the clock, clients pay me for my time, and the time I have scheduled for their case is that 50 minutes. The ten minutes between sessions is for me to return calls and attend to personal business, and there's probably another client at the top of the hour, so any other work would require me to stay late after hours to call my clients to take care of the business I didn't address during their session. If I did it then, I'd be wondering if I should bill for the time spent on the case like lawyers do. Instead of that, I'll take the two minutes at the beginning of the session to resolve any business issues.

There's another reason, one that's more psychological. A lot of the time the business issues are just mundane necessities to get out of the way. But sometimes the issues have everything to do with the work we're doing in therapy. A man who has difficulty with commitment is having a hard time showing up to session on time. Someone who has issues with authority is enraged at the insurance company. Or someone who feels like they've always been taken advantage of finds it really hard to pay the bill. The issues people have in their lives outside therapy often show up in therapy, and a lot of time it's around time, money and/or consistency. So yes, I want to make this talk a part of our session because I think it might be an indicator of the client's problem. Far from a waste of time, it is often the exact issue we're working to resolve.

Hope that helps, tryindbt. Again, I'm just one therapist, and this is the way I do it. I'm sure there are many who handle it differently for valid reasons. Take care.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.