More threads by Vinton

Vinton

I've done this a few times on a large scale with music, photography.

I started a woodworking shop. I spend all kinds of time and energy on designing, setup, shopping for tools on&on, want the best. Everything is placed in perfect order . Its as clean as my house..I've done a few project but every time I need a new tool to get me going and finally sold it.

With photography I started a business in 73 which is still going but in 74 I was in burnout.

With music I ended up with a band and spending all my free time shopping, practicing and also ended up with a depression.

These periods will last a year + and during that time it takes all my time. Nothing else counts but that.

I'm the same with my golf. The spring comes and I'm practicing all the times.

Actually all of this kills the fun...

Also I was diagnosed with tourettes and possible OCD.

When I get onto something its like an obsession. It takes over everything..

Thanks

Vinton

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Is it bipolar?

It's a bad idea to try and diagnose anyone online - too much information is missing. That said, what you describe doesn't strongly suggest bipolar disorder.

I was diagnosed with tourettes and possible OCD.

When I get onto something its like an obsession. It takes over everything..

The diagnoses you've been given seem to fit what little you've told us about yourself and your history. Beyond that, I'd say if a qulaified mental health professional has provided these diagnoses, I'd say you're probably best to assume they have some foundation.

Tourette's and OCD are often associated. You might want to have a look at some of the threads here on Tourette's for more information.

Similar threads

What I Learned about Facing Alcohol Misuse & Bipolar by Andrea Paquette, bpHope.com August 15, 2022 I thought drinking was fun, but it fueled manic rage and damaged my relationships. Addressing my alcohol misuse and its effects wasn’t easy but it was worth it. Photo: PeopleImages / iStock/Getty Images Plus Alcohol & Bipolar Disorder Drinking has been a personal struggle in my life at times, especially during my mid-twenties. Over the years, I have learned about the importance of controlling...
Replies
Views
The Difference Between “Everyday” Anger & Bipolar Anger by Robin L. Flanigan, bpHope.com August 4, 2022 Anger is a common emotion—part of the universal human experience. Its intensity, however, can leap to a different level when associated with bipolar episodes. “It’s like turning up the volume, making it a lot louder and harder to ignore,” says Brock Schludecker, PsyD, clinical psychologist at Ohio State University. Mental health professionals distinguish between periodic hot flashes of...
Replies
Views
Anxiety and the Negative Narrator by Brooke Baron, bpHope.com August 1, 2022 Understanding stress and recognizing negative self-talk is one challenge—actually dealing with and overcoming them is quite another. Here’s how I manage my ever-present anxiety. Photo: Klaus Vedfelt / DigitalVision via Getty Images Bipolar & Anxiety I don’t know about you, but anxiety is with me about 99% of the time. Typically, it’s related to my kids and family, which means that a lot of the time it is...
Replies
Views
Rethinking Stress Strengthens Stability by Robin L. Flanigan, bpHope.com July 26, 2022 Photo: Nitat Termmee / Moment via Getty Images Sweaty palms. A racing heart. An upset stomach. Stress just doesn’t do a body good. While it can cause a host of health problems, it can also sabotage stability by triggering a bipolar mood episode—especially when worry perpetuates thoughts that only make the stress worse. Here’s the good news: This physical tension can be harnessed and used to our...
Replies
Views