More threads by Retired

Retired

:rofl:

Does laughter really have therapeutic effects? We've heard for years that laughter is the best medicine, but is is it just an old wives tale?

I've watched stuff on TV that is supposed to be funny, but could not bring myself to laugh, yet when one of my friends begins laughing, I can't hold back joining in.

Is laughing hard wired in us or is it learned?

i think laughter has to be built in. i vaguely remember something about a person who was blind and deaf who smiled just like the rest of us and the conclusion was that this was not learned behaviour because this person could not see or hear.

i believe in laughter being a medicine. when something very funny happens i can feel myself feeling better. the best is when i can't stop laughing - doesn't happen often but when it does it's really very freeing :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I laugh at things on the radio in the car, things I see while driving, things I think about in the shower, jokes I tell myself... all of which occur with no one else around...

But then, despite what my kids say, I am really, really funny... :D

:thewave:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Does laughter really have therapeutic effects? We've heard for years that laughter is the best medicine, but is is it just an old wives tale?

Certainly, the ability to be humored is limited in severe cases of depression (people don't call 1-800-SUICIDE to listen to jokes), so I would say that distraction or stimulation can be the best medicine with humor being one method of distraction.

I think laughter is very therapeutic, I always feel better when Ive had a laugh, I find it better laughing with someone at something, a tv programme or whatever, laughing alone is ok too but its better shared:) Its good to laugh at yourself too it sort of releases stuff,the best laughter is the spontaneous sort that comes from somewhere inside of you and takes over your whole body, that does really make me feel good:thewave: this smiley makes me laugh!!!

sunset

I think laughter is very therapeudic! When 9/11 happened the only thing that got me laughing was watching episodes of "Everyone Loves Raymond". For that half hour, I was able to decompress and laugh a little. Wasnt very easy at the time either, and that show, because I find it so funny, helped me soo much!
I laugh at myself when I do something stupid or silly, and I try to find humor in things. Like my cousin said, "Dont take life so seriously, its not permanent".

I think laughing and humor are wonderful.

I laughed more in the hospital than I have in a long time. Some of the people there were SOO funny. Great people.

And we laughed at ourselves too which I think is good.

It really does make me feel better. :)

braveheart

When I laugh my face hurts [I call it my chuckle muscles! lol] because it doesn't happen that often. When it does I usually can't talk or eat or whatever for a while afterwards..!!! My flatmate and I were laughing like anything over dinner once, and her husband [my other flatmate] didn't get it. I forget what we were laughing over, lol!
Yes, it helps, its a release.

On the other hand, most of my dissociated/other selves/parts have no sense of humour. When you've been laughed AT for all your schooling, the capacity to have fun kind of gets dulled.
But me, I have a sense of humour. A quirky one!

just mary

I think laughing is hard wired, people all over the world and from all cultures laugh/smile. It must serve some purpose.

If I think of something funny when I'm alone, I laugh myself silly. Of course I then have to tell others what made me laugh, and they never find it quite as funny. :confused:

When I laugh with others, it brings us closer together. I don't feel so defensive or on edge, it breaks the ice, we relax with each other.

Watching someone else "bust their gut" laughing is fun too. I have a friend who doesn't laugh much but when he does, it's nice to see, particularly afterwards when he's exhausted - he looks a little lighter.

I think laughter is good, as long as it's not malicious but I don't think that's true laughter.

Retired

people all over the world and from all cultures laugh/smile. It must serve some purpose.

Do you suppose laughter has a kind of bonding effect when we are in a group of people and infectious laughter begins?

i think it does. i think this is also why people are ticklish... tickle a little baby or toddler and your heart just melts.. and they bond with you because you make them laugh :D

just mary

Do you suppose laughter has a kind of bonding effect when we are in a group of people and infectious laughter begins?

I think so.

It reminds me of how you signal a dog to play, you get down on all fours but rest on your elbows, the dog will mimic you and then start to play with you. It's really neat. The dog doesn't understand what is happening, but somewhere in his brain he knows "instinctually" that it's time for fun. And he runs with it. It makes him happy.

Maybe laughter is a human signal to relax and have fun. We need to get pleasure out of life in order to keep on going. Having fun and laughing makes us feel good, it makes life worth living.

jm

AVC

It is great if you can do it without the help of alcohol, that means you have a real sense of humor! :eek:

MDH

I think love is the best medicine. Not a cheezy kind, but just the omnipresent kind we all need. You know, that sort of interrelevance to one another.

I think in order to avoid being like ourselves, because we disagree or hate those who are often like us, we tend to stray away from social reality instinctively. This causes a lack of that kind of global love we can apply to things to make ourselves and our lives easier to understand.

That is just my opinion though.

-MDH

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think love is the best medicine. Not a cheezy kind, but just the omnipresent kind we all need.

I'm not sure what the "cheesy kind" of love is exactly but I'll agree to the first part. :)

Mind you, there's no reason you can't combine love with laughter. In fact if you can laugh with someone you love that's perfect. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.