More threads by Darkside

For me, I engage in OC type behaviors because they are adaptive and lessen psychological distress. But I am not normally an OCD type - at least that I am aware of. Are there two types of OCD? One that is actually caused by a chemical disturbance in the brain and another caused by abuse, stress or trauma?

As I've gone further and further into the issue of childhood trauma in therapy I've found I am in more psychological pain (therapist warned me of this) and as a result I engage in behaviors (nothing destructive - compulsive cleaning, lights off, perfectionism, etc) that retrospectively I know are meant to distract me from the pain I am feeling.

Will this fade as I learn to understand the pain and slowly let go of the hurt or will these behaviors continue? My guess is, at least in my case, the behaviors will subside as the pain slowly subsides. (something I am looking forward to) If it's brain chemistry problem then is the theory that the trauma actually caused the chemistry change and if so, as I change my attitude and let go of the pain will my natural brain chemistry return or am I stuck with these obsessions and compulsions?

What is the current theory? (nature vs. nurture)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
There is no definitive answer as yet to your question and OCD can have multiple origins. However, I would say that the best answer currently is that it is probably an interaction between nature and nurture.

That said, from a functional point of view, OCD (like all anxiety disorders) represents the individual's reactions to a world that is fundamentally uncertain and predictable, i.e., an attempt to control the uncertain and unpredictable environment around that individual, to impose greater certainty and predictability on that environment.

Early trauma or abuse or neglect does appear to predispose individuals to OCD, because for the young child it underscores and emphasizes the scary aspects of environmental uncertainty and unpredictability. But of course not ALL individuals exposed to early trauma, abuse, or neglect will develop OCD, so there must presumably also be a genetic vulnerability in order for OCD to emerge.

Thanks. Can OCD show up in someone raised in a healthy home without emotional or physical trauma? Put another way, is genetic predispositon ever the sole cause?

Interesting. I don't know if this is common, but I know for me that I engage in ritualistic compulsive doing and obsessive thinking when I feel intense fear, anger, depression or feel threatened in some way. Other times, when I am relaxed and calm, I rarely do or think those same things or even feel the need to. I can also stop the compulsive behavior if I become aware of it. Not so much the obsessive thinking though.

What I've discovered in therapy, and through some reading I've done, is that deep inside I think I am being, or will be, abused in certain circumstance, and if I do these things (be "perfect") "they" will love me and and won't abuse me.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Not necessarily that they will love you but that you will be able to control you and them and nothing bad will happen. Conversely, if you DON'T do those things, something bad will happen.

It's distorted thinking, of course, but with OCD the thoughts often do feel very convincing...

Incidentally, OCD in any of its forms will always get worse as your levels of stress or anxiety increase, so your perceptions about your symptoms are both accurate and common.

One of my coping behaviors is to become overly compliant. I have a mental image of myself as a 3-5 year old standing at attention like a soldier while being told to stand still and be quiet or it will hurt even more.

For me, I engage in OC type behaviors because they are adaptive and lessen psychological distress.

All I'll add to David's excellent responses is to argue that the OC rituals are NOT adaptive. They DO less the distress in the short run. The technical term for this is Negative Reinforcement, which is NOT the same as punishment. However, OCD Always wants more. Many would argue that if rituals were adaptive, that it would help in the long run.

I would suggest that you ask those around you how much the OCD may be affecting them. Usually, it effects family much more than the person with OCD is aware.

Every time you engage in rituals, they become stronger. Doing the rituals strengthen the neural pathways. Jeffrey Schwartz's research 20 some years ago showed that his brand of CBT (Brain Lock) changed brain functioning, as evidenced on brain scans.

Continue the rituals if you choose. What you need to know is that OCD will continue and grow stronger. You can expect that it will want more and more. You DO have a choice. Effective treatments exist. Best wishes.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
DrMikeMiller said:
Every time you engage in rituals, they become stronger. Doing the rituals strengthen the neural pathways. Jeffrey Schwartz's research 20 some years ago showed that his brand of CBT (Brain Lock) changed brain functioning, as evidenced on brain scans.

Absolutely agree.This is part of the reason that regular CBT often does not work with OCD and may make the OCD worse.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Perceived traumatic and stressful etiology of obsessive-compulsive disorder
June 2022

1663205133484.jpg

Findings from this and previous work suggest that traumatic events that occur prior to the onset of OCD are so profound that they may be likely to be perceived as the catalyst for OCD symptoms and may ultimately impact the theme and severity of obsessions and compulsions in intuitive ways.​

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.