More threads by Charity

I've wondered about this my entire life, so I thought I'd bring it up here.

I'm in terrible physical condition. I can't exert myself at all without feeling awful. This has been the case for as long as I can remember, which is all but the first year or two of my life.

I can vividly remember when I was a small child in school, watching the other kids running around playing Tag or basketball, and wondering how on earth they were able to keep doing it for the whole recess period without stopping. Even then, I couldn't run for more than maybe ten seconds without having to stop, as my heart would be pounding and I'd be gasping for breath. Aren't little kids supposed to be full of energy? I never was, even in kindergarten.

This has continued to be true throughout my life. I can make a quick dash from here to there, lasting five or ten seconds, and then I'll need at least a minute or two to let my heart rate and breathing return to normal. I usually can't even speak for the first few seconds, because of being so out of breath. I usually also get a terrible pulse-pounding in my head and feel dizzy until I've had enough time to rest.

I can walk for a very long time, if I go at a slow pace, with no trouble at all. It's only when I do anything that raises my heart rate that I feel this way.

Can this be simply the result of being terribly out of shape and never having been in shape at any point in my life? Or could there be some weird medical anomaly that has kept me limited in this way all my life?

I realize, of course, that I'm not dealing with a roomful of doctors, and that even if I were, diagnosis is impossible online. I'm just curious as to whether anyone here has any similar experience or know of someone who has, etc.

I would love to be able to do physical activities, but it makes me feel so badly that I usually just avoid it. If it's just a matter of starting slow and building up gradually, I suppose I can do that. If there's a reason, though, I don't see any reason to torture myself for no benefit.

Thoughts?

you're right, kids are full of energy and you should have been able to do what the others did. how's your weight, charity? if you have a normal weight i would say go see a doctor about it. if you were quite overweight it would make sense that you wouldn't be able to do what others do.

I think a complete physical by your g.p is in order Charity.
Did your parents ever take you to the dr when you were a child to check this out, if so if you can find out the name of that dr and maybe go see him\her as they would have your history on this aspect of things. But I do think you should see a dr.

Hope you feel better soon.
:hug:

ladylore

Account Closed
Are you thinking of starting a exercise program Charity? If that was why you asked the question, once you have seen your doctor I'd see what is in your community to help you with a plan. In my neck of the woods there are fitness trainers in community centres that can help out for a nominal fee (very low).

Everyone is different.

Jazzey

Account Closed
And talk to your doctor Charity. Do you suffer from asthma? This could affect your energy levels...When I read your post this morning, that's the first thing that popped into my mind.

Trust

And talk to your doctor Charity. Do you suffer from asthma? This could affect your energy levels...When I read your post this morning, that's the first thing that popped into my mind.

My first thought too! great minds. . . .:)

Good Luck Charity!:) - and yes, please check it out with your doctor.

Ok, let me try to answer everything...

I've sort of mentioned it to doctors once or twice, probably in my early twenties, but I didn't make too big a deal over it-- I think I was embarassed. Anyway, they just nodded and assumed that I'm just out of shape.

I was perhaps slightly overweight as a child, but not by much. I know I was certainly far from being the largest in my class. I was a little chubby at worst. Today I'm still a little overweight, but by no means obese.

I've never felt anything that made me think of asthma... I've never wheezed or had trouble moving air in and out. It's just exactly the feeling of being too out-of-shape to do what I'm trying to do, on a very intense level.

I would very much like to try and change this situation. That's why I'm wondering if maybe I could just start slow, even more slowly than an average non-exercises does when starting out, and work through it. It would be hard for me, as it would definitely be a first..... I'd have to learn to see exertion as a pleasureable thing rather than torture! But sometimes in my dreams, I'm running and running, and I never get tired and have to stop. It feels sooooooo good! I wonder if it's possible in real life, that's all.

I believe I will discuss this in-depth the next time I see my doctor. I may not make a special trip, but I'll bring it up when I go.

:thankyou2: for your thoughts.

Jazzey

Account Closed
:) A couple of things if you don't mind - I didn't know I had asthma until my doctor checked it out for me (irregular heart rates etc...). I now have some medications that I take just before exercizing and right after - it helps.

Also if you don't mind my giving you a bit of advice (from someone also a little bit overweight and desperately trying to get back in shape) - here's what I find helps. I start out with walking. Initially I do 5 minutes of just medium pace. Just to get warm up. Then I do 1 minute of fast walking, 2 minutes of medium and keep doing this for 20 minutes. I then gradually increase the intensity - for instance, 2 minutes of fast walking, 1 minute of medium. That's how I get back to jogging - slowly though. This is over the course of about 3 to 4 weeks depending on how out of shape I am....I used to run 12 miles a day - I ain't that girl anymore - but I'd love to be. Forgot - stretching is really important especially in the beginning....

Maybe we can encourage each other on this front too Charity? :)

Andrew

Hello Charity :wave4:

In order to get into shape, I have the following suggestions:

• Calorie intake limited. {edit: suggested calories per day deleted - individuals should discuss this with their doctors}
  • Low fat diet.
  • Burning 200 to 300 calories a day 4 to 5 days a week.
  • (Jogging works best between 15 & 25 minutes)
I lost 20 pounds in 3.5 months this way. Of course, your medication may be a BIG influence on your weight....especially if it sedates and makes you unmotivated (As do many antipsychotics, for example).

I'd start slow as Jazzey suggested, then possibly work up to what is listed above. And yes, you should have your GP do a complete physical to rule anything out.

Good luck ! :2thumbs:

Andrew

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
In order to get into shape, I have the following suggestions:

• Calorie intake limited. {edit: suggested calories per day deleted - individuals should discuss this with their doctors}
  • Low fat diet.
  • Burning 200 to 300 calories a day 4 to 5 days a week.
  • (Jogging works best between 15 & 25 minutes)

One needs to be careful about very low calorie or very low fat diets since these can have an impact on mood and emotional-cognitive functioning as well as general energy levels and general health.

As just one example, brain cells are insulated with something called the myelin sheath. This is similar to the plastic or cloth insulation around electrical wires and basically accomplish the same pupose - to conduct the current or impulse down the length of the neuron and prevent short-circuiting between adjacent neurons. Severely restricting fats in the diet can potentially lead to degradation of the myelin and in turn to degradation of cognitive and emotional functioing.

Ideally, the goal in most cases is to reduce "bad fats", not all fats.

Before embarking on any significant or drastic change in exercise or diet, it really is safest to consult your doctors.

Andy

MVP
Just to add to what David said about the amount of calories different individuals need. Drastically changing your caloric intake while on medication can have serious effects as well, so it is indeed a good idea to see a Dr. if your not sure of how your body will react.

Charity,

I think it's a great idea to just make yourself get out and go for walks. As you get comfortable with that, just pick up the pace. Walking is suppose to be one of the best ways to get in shape. Doing strength training would be great as well. I quit smoking after 16 years (besides the smoking I did in the womb up until I left home) and have my old lungs back just by working up to it and I run daily (indoors but still somewhat the same).
Sorry, most of that was repetitive. I think it just takes time and a lot of hard work especially if you get short of breath, but I 'm sure you can do it if you put your mind to it.:goodjob: And if your Dr. clears you to of course.
:support:I hope you find some answers.

stargazer

I can identify, but only partly. I was always the "weakling" growing up, and terrible with physical education, and cowering in the corners in all sports. Then I learned late in high school that I had the potential to be good at cross-country, which changed my whole outlook on myself.'

When I ran my first marathon of 26 miles, it was only two years after I had started jogging every day, and nobody among my friends or family believed it. Not trying to boast, because right now I also identify with being horribly out-of-shape. I'm just trying to encourage you not to dismiss the idea tha maybe you *are* simply out-of-shape, and that getting into shape is within your reach.

Right now my only obstacle is that I can't afford a pair of running shoes, and I haven't really run for a good four or five months. In that time, I've conjured up every possible illness through self-diagnosis, and at last I found a doctor, so I am getting a complete comprehensive this week. However, I am certain that once I start running again, I will no longer be conjuring up all these illnesses.

I agree that you ought to see a doctor first, but assuming there is nothing uniquely wrong with you, I would recommend jogging, and start out very slowly, pace yourself, don't push yourself, but allow yourself to receive the benefits, and watch yourself get better every day.

Worked for me, anyway. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.