More threads by Small Clone

Hi All,

I have OCD and I have largely been able to manage most of the big chunks of it however I seem to be getting more and more distressed by something that has been with me all the way through, and I believe if I can eliminate this a very good recovery will be mine...

Basically if I am reading about OCD or self-help for example I will tend to find things that I find alarming and basically think they are telling me, your doomed to feeling unwell and anxious. I can't explain too well and most of the time it is either my misinterpretation or ambiguous phrasing by the author of which I am sure that most people can see past straight away (I know that when I re-read it I get an idea of what the author might be saying and using my brain I can work out where I am making a mistake) but I just go into OCD loops asking "does he really mean this" "is he really saying that". I'm not talking about me not excepting reality I just really can get things muddled up and often take things so literately.

For example, through misinterpretation in the past I have thought OCD professionals were telling me

• I'm not allowed to be free of negative thought
  • I'm not allowed to like myself
  • I can't use my own imagination
  • I can't use my own intuition
The list goes on and on, it just like I get to one point in every book or on articles I read on the internet and I get stuck and I just want to scream "Why did you say that" but you can't ask a book to clarify itself can you and I am often too frightened to email the author direct in case they say what I am fearing is true or that they will give an equally ambiguous reply.

I can see how this is working in terms of OCD, doubt followed by a search for reassurance (from those writing the books or articles).

But this is really tough it's so tough when you think that OCD experts are telling you that you can't get better and what you are doing is wrong... I feel a little stuck.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks

SC

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Hi Small Cone. Have you been formally diagnosed with OCD? Do you currently see a therapist, Psychologist or Psychiatrist?

But this is really tough it's so tough when you think that OCD experts are telling you that you can't get better and what you are doing is wrong... I feel a little stuck.

One can get better from OCD. I was initially diagnosed with OCD. Now I have some lingering traits of OCD, but not enough to consider it a full out diagnosis.

I don't know how to advise you on the rest of your questions.

Yes I have been formerly diagnosed and I have had very effective CBT which has worked but at the moment I am up against this and not sure which way to turn.....

Thanks

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
This is just my personal opinion. I found with OCD, it was best to stick to self help excercises and therapy through my doctor.

I would not read the parts regarding the condition itself. Why? I didn't want to over analize it. I left that up to my doctors.

I believed they knew how to best treat me and that helped put me at ease. I could then use that energy using my coping skills for the OCD related symptoms that were having an effect on my life.

I personally wouldn't concern myself with all the ins and outs of OCD at this point. This is just my opinion.

Focusing too much on it can, as you see, start the cycle of racing thoughs.

I can't really read books about OCD or watch tv shows about it because it just causes too much anxiety. I have not figured out how to get past that yet, but I just wanted to say I can relate to what you're saying. I do think I would stick to the CBT exercises and therapy to deal with the symptoms for now.

I agree, but unfortunatly I have interacted with these thoughts and I am forming distorted beliefs, I know the CBT style paths I could follow to sort these it's just I constantly have these 'experts' in my head telling me I can't do this or that. It seems so real, I'm finding it very very hard to not listen.

It's got very messy.

I feel a little helpless, the thoughts talk me out of apply my CBT so I feel very trapped...

Wish I could see the way out.

ladylore

Account Closed
I could follow to sort these it's just I constantly have these 'experts' in my head telling me I can't do this or that.

Challenge these 'experts' by writing down a more positive rebuttal.

These are only thoughts in your head. They are not real and not necessarily true - only thoughts that can be changed.

I know Ladylore,

I need to do this but it's so tough I can't believe how I know it's all such a load of rubbish but I can't get past it....

I describe it like this

It's like I've found the key to unlock my condition but I'm clutching my fist around it and I'm listening to my OCD telling me the experts want me to keep clasping. But only I can let my hand relax.

I just wish it didn't seem so real, my latest 'hang-up' is that I think I'm being told I can't use my intuitiion, so I try to rubbish that - but then I feel like I'm using my intuition to "open my hand" and that must be wrong - I'm not allowed to do it. I practically stayed up last night with that one question running. It's very strange......

Thanks for all the responses so far - I appreciate it so much!

SC

Challenge these 'experts' by writing down a more positive rebuttal.

These are only thoughts in your head. They are not real and not necessarily true - only thoughts that can be changed.

ladylore

Account Closed
I know how tough it is SC. I have been there. It can be done. You may want to start by simply telling yourself it is a though, an untrue thought at that - then do something else.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
As Ladylore says. I also relate. I have also been there.

With a combination of CBT and medications I was able to get a handle on it.

The OCD has not surfaced for two years now, luckily. The racing and intrusive thoughts, for me, were the worst symptoms I had.

I hope my previous posts didn't seem like I was trivalizing what you are experiencing. I know all too well how difficult OCD is to cope with, but I wanted to share that there is hope and it is possable to get through it. :support:

It sure is tough,

It's difficult when you think an expert is telling you that as you are OCD you can't use your initiative to get yourself out of it (and you can read it re read it re read it.....), all through my CBT and most of the discoveries I have made about my condition have come direct from using my initiative along with eductating myself about OCD.

It's nice to know others have been here and made it through...

I'm off out now, thanks for the input I will pick this thread up later,

Thanks all

SC

I know how tough it is SC. I have been there. It can be done. You may want to start by simply telling yourself it is a though, an untrue thought at that - then do something else.

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

Niknak

It didn't seem trivializing at all, and thanks for taking the time to respond...

OCD is so tough, yet when you are 'within' yourself it seem so easy to control, I know I have what it takes - I just need to get over this litle hump.

Thanks

SC

As Ladylore says. I also relate. I have also been there.

With a combination of CBT and medications I was able to get a handle on it.

The OCD has not surfaced for two years now, luckily. The racing and intrusive thoughts, for me, were the worst symptoms I had.

I hope my previous posts didn't seem like I was trivalizing what you are experiencing. I know all too well how difficult OCD is to cope with, but I wanted to share that there is hope and it is possable to get through it. :support:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.