More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Valerian: A safe and effective herbal sleep aid?
by Brent A. Bauer, M.D., Mayo Clinic
Mar. 13, 2015

I read that the herbal supplement valerian can help you fall asleep if you have insomnia. Is valerian safe, and does it actually work?

Results from multiple studies indicate that valerian ? a tall, flowering grassland plant ? may reduce the amount of time it takes to fall asleep and help you sleep better. Of the many valerian species, only the carefully processed roots of the Valeriana officinalis have been widely studied. However, not all studies have shown valerian to be effective, and there may be some dangers.

Before you decide to take a valerian supplement for insomnia, consider the following:

Medication may not be the answer for insomnia. Cognitive behavioral therapy ? for instance, replacing worries about not sleeping with positive thoughts ? may be more effective and safer than medications for dealing with chronic insomnia. Or there may be important underlying causes, such as sleep apnea or periodic limb movement disorder, which require evaluation.

Product claims may be misleading. Don't just rely on a product's biased marketing. Look for objective, research-based information to evaluate a product's claims, such as from the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) or the Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS). Both NCCIH and ODS are part of the National Institutes of Health.

Dosage is unclear. Valerian seems to be most effective after you take it regularly for two or more weeks. Because dosages varied in studies involving valerian and some studies weren't rigorous, it's not clear what dose is most effective or for how long you should take a particular dose.

Possible side effects exist. Although valerian is thought to be fairly safe, side effects such as headache, dizziness, stomach problems or sleeplessness may occur. Valerian may not be safe if you're pregnant or breast-feeding. And it has not been evaluated to determine if it's safe for children under 3 years old. If you have liver disease, avoid taking valerian. And because valerian can make you drowsy, avoid driving or operating dangerous machinery after taking it.

Drug interactions are possible. Valerian may increase the effects of other sleep aids. It also increases the sedative effect of depressants, such as alcohol, benzodiazepines and narcotics. Valerian can interfere with some prescription medications. And it may interact with other dietary supplements, such as St. John's wort. If you're thinking of taking valerian, check with your doctor to make sure it won't interact with other medications or supplements you're taking.

Ultimately, persistent insomnia indicates a problem, such as poor sleep habits or a medical or psychological condition. If you continue to have insomnia, talk to your doctor about possible causes and treatment strategies. Or, consider getting an evaluation at a sleep medicine center that's accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It's an example of cognitive reframing or cognitive restructuring which is helpful for some insomniacs where anxiety about not sleeping keeps them awake.

Another strategy is to get out of bed and go do something else for a bit, perhaps something repetitive and monotonous like solitaire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retired

get out of bed and go do something else for a bit

You mean fighting insomnia with insomnia....often sometimes works for me.

cognitive re framing or cognitive restructuring

I'd like to learn more about this. Would you point me to some resources or can it be explained in 25 words or less?

Steve

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Google CBT for insomnia and see the articles by sleepfoundation.org and the Mayo Clinic. Can't figure out how to paste the links on my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GDPR

GDPR
I found the info on the National Sleep Foundation site very helpful.After reading that I am going to try doing things a different way.

The first thing I think I am going to do is turn my alarm clock around so that I can't see it.And not keep my phone right beside the bed since I always look at it and check the time during the night.

Retired

The first thing I think I am going to do is turn my alarm clock around so that I can't see it

I found that to be the one most significant aid to helping me sleep uninterrupted through the night. I guess my alarm clock was a combination of two intrusions...the bright light from the numerals, and the reminder of the time if I glanced at it when briefly awakening.

It worked for me!

GDPR

GDPR
My husband thinks turning the clock around is a good idea too.I don't know why we both are always so interested in exactly how much sleep we are losing by watching the clock anyway.

GDPR

GDPR
I woke up probably between 8 and 10 times last night.But since I couldn't see the clock I wasn't beating myself up over it or getting frustrated counting down how many hours I had left before I had to get up for the day and was able to get back to sleep fairly easy each time.

Definitely going to keep my clock turned around from now on.

i get up and stay up until i am tired again and then i am able to fall back asleep and stay asleep

Sometimes though when i get up i stay up for hours not able to shut down for a long time afterwards.

GDPR

GDPR
Instead of going to bed kind of early,in the hopes of getting more sleep,I have been staying up later,much later,so that I am actually super tired when I do.That's working much better than trying to force myself to sleep and getting frustrated when it doesn't happen.

And not being able to see my clock has made a big difference too.I am waking up less now and when I do I am having an easier time going right back to sleep.Sometimes I am tempted to get up just to look at the time but remind myself it doesn't matter.And it really doesn't matter,it was almost like an obsession before or something.

A couple of simple changes have helped.That's pretty amazing to me.

GDPR

GDPR
I gave in to the urge to look at the clock last night when I woke up and was shocked to find out it wasn't night time at all and it was 8 hours later from when I went to bed.:)

GDPR

GDPR
I read somewhere that making a gratitude list before bed improves sleep.

I usually make mine in the morning,while I am drinking my coffee and waking up,it makes my whole day better when I do.But after I read that I tried making it at night instead.It did make a difference,finding things to be grateful for made me feel good,it made it much easier to get to sleep,and I didn't wake up as many times.So I am going to keep doing it.

I don't know why I never thought of doing that before.It's hard to get to sleep often because I have so many things rolling around in my mind,things that bring me down or upset me,and I have nightmares often too.

That positivity right before bed helps that,if I am feeling good and feeling grateful,of course it would help my sleep.

I think I am going to keep a notebook beside my bed and make my list right before I try to sleep.

---------- Post Merged at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:13 PM ----------

And I suppose I can continue making my morning list since it helps too.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.