More threads by CarlaMarie

CarlaMarie

My life with Cymbalta is over. I was enjoying the benefits of life on Cymbalta, I guess, sort of...I certainly have felt less depressed. I have lost 25 lbs and I am having diarrhea, dizziness, loss of appetite, and am sick to my stomach. I have also been through a major life change, divorce. It could be irritable bowel syndrome.

My psychiatrist switched me to Pristiq. And she wants to take me off Topamax too, my migraine preventative. I think she is having issues with my skinny. I like skinny. I can do without the diarrhea and dizziness. High blood pressure is an issue for me, too.

I'm anxious. I want to feel well. I like to be stable on my meds. I really don't need this right now...

Retired

Why does the doctor feel you need to stop using Topomax, and how will you control your migraines looking forward?

How long have you been taking Pristiq and does your prescribing doctor check your blood pressure on a regular basis?

Has the GI upset (diarrhea, loss of apetite and dizziness) only begun since the switch to Pristiq?

CarlaMarie

The diarrhea started when I started taking Cymbalta. That is why she switched me to pristiq. Although it is an unusual symptom you never know. My internist is watching my blood pressure and I am on medication. She wants to cut me back and take me off my topamax because it is an appetite suppressant and I am on many meds as it is. I am also under weight. I was put on topamax years ago as the result of a drug addiction to Hydrocodone. Could it have been rebound headaches and the result of addiction. The question is topamax is it a needed medication for me? I must admit I like the appetite suppressant value in the medication. That's being honest. We will see if I really need it. I started Pristiq today and went off Cymbalta I don't have to worry about topamax for two week. I have no appetite now. I am forcing food into my body. Hoping it will make me feel better. I'm a mess.
Thanks for asking.

Retired

Could it have been rebound headaches and the result of addiction.

I don't know the answer to that question, and perhaps someone else might have some insights.

The question is topamax is it ma needed medication for me?

I don't understand, because of the typo.

My internist is watching my blood pressure and I am on medication.

Is this the same physician who prescribed Pristiq? If not, both your internist and the prescriber of Pristiq should be made aware of your blood pressure situation, the medications you take for blood pressure and the blood pressure must be followed closely while taking Pristiq. There are situations where Pristiq can affect blood pressure and your doctor would have this information in the prescribing information for Pristiq. I would rate this as an important issue.

If you continue having diarrhea, be sure to drink plenty of water, and perhaps even some Gatorade to replenish electrolytes, and ask the doctor or your pharmacist to recommend and anti diarrheal. See this WebMD article as well as this Mayo Clinic article on the subject.

The dizziness or light headedness might be the temporary side effect of your body chemistry becoming acclimated to the new medication.

However if these problems persist, they should be reported to the prescribing doctor for investigation.

If you are anemic because of the appetite suppressant, I would agree you need to be off that medication. I was sick with a hyperactive thyroid, and I was thin as a stick. But then again, I was also having heart palpitations, manic, and very jittery with shakiness and insomnia. Yeah, sure, I wouldn't mind being skinny, but I don't want to die, either. 8P

It's kind of sad, isn't it, that we as a society think "good-looking" means thin to the point of being ill... lol I'm losing weight now a bit, but in part it's because of my Cipralex (I used to eat junkfood and comfort foods and eat more when I was anxious) and also because I am exercising every day, walking 20 min to a half an hour plus gardening, and eating the garden veggies instead of ordering in and going out all the time. I ain't no Princess Leia in a metal bikini, but I'm 40 years old, what are ya gonna do?

I am on Pristiq I am taking more then the maximum. I take 150 mg a day. If you read the literature it says it takes salt away from your body so if you have high blood pressure issues it might help it but if you have low blood pressure issues be careful. I love my salt and I am a diabetic and my blood pressure is normal. I just make sure my blood pressure doesn't go to low so I sometimes check at the pharmacy. I feel Pristiq has done so much for me with my depression. It actually also helped me with my nerve pain because I started taking less Lyrica once I started taking Pristiq.

CarlaMarie

Thanks Steve, it's good to know I am getting good medical care. I am on an anti- diarreal and drink lots of G2. My psychiciatrist sent a fax to my internist about my medication and blood pressure. They often communicate about my blood work.

Thanks Sue about your experience with Pristiq. I have a pain condition also that is why I liked Cymbalta. I'm in hopes that it works for me. So far so good. It has only been today.

Retired

Sue,

The information you have regarding lowering of blood pressure while taking Pristiq is contrary to the manufacturer's warnings to physicians in the prescribing information. In fact, blood pressure warnings are similar to those of the parent drug of Pristiq, which is Effexor.

I am sorry Steve. It is just that it says that it take salt away from your body I assume salt was one of the main reason some people blood pressure went up because of the salt so if it takes salt away from your body I would assume it might help lower blood pressure. But your right. The literature and a DR advice is needed to help make sure a person understand if they get any adverse reaction and if they do they have to speak to there DR or Pharmacist. I have been on it for about 2 years. My blood pressure is sometimes around 108 over 68. It is never the same but it never went up for me over the suggested limits.

Sue

CarlaMarie

My psychiatrist and i discussed that information so I am fully aware of it and now so is my internist. Not really a huge concern. They are both monitoring my blood pressure. I see the internist next week and the psychiatrist in two weeks. I was on effexor prior to Cymbalta if that makes any difference and my blood pressure was managable. I seem to have the biggest issues with my blood pressure when I don't take my meds. Sometimes I think I don't need them. See what I do that's me managing my meds. So many meds I get confused and quit taking ones that I need. I take too many every day. I need to get the unnecessary ones so I don't get so confused!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.