More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
'Listening to Prozac' author feels 'vindicated' by new antidepressant study
Los Angeles Times blog: Booster Shots
by Melissa Healy
December 8, 2009

Peter D. Kramer, the psychiatrist and author of the path-breaking 1993 book "Listening to Prozac," said in an interview today that he felt "vindicated" by a newly published study ("Personality Change During Depression Treatment," by Tony Z. Tang et al) finding that selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants cause dramatic personality changes in depressed patients who take them.

"It's hard not to feel justified" in the view--offered long before it became fashionable--that antidepressants now taken by 7% of American adults do more than lift depression: They nudge underlying personalities--even those of healthy people--into brighter, more appealing territory, and in so doing, raise ethical concerns about "cosmetic psychiatry."

The study offers evidence that people who are unassertive, pessimistic, prone to worry and prefer to be by themselves or in small groups are more likely to develop depression, and that, when they take SSRIs, those underlying personality traits change more than most peoples' change in an adult lifetime--in the span of 16 weeks. That change in basic outlook not only seems to be the thing that lifts them out of depression; it may even reduce the likelihood that they'll relapse. (You can read our detailed account of the study and its findings here.)

While a group of subjects undergoing cognitive therapy had some of the same effects, they weren't nearly as powerful as those that came from a pill--which in this case was paroxetine, marketed as Paxil.

Kramer found one possible inference from the study particularly striking: that it might turn on its head the view that many clinicians have of the value of drugs and/or cognitive therapy for their patients. "It looks like medicine is good for chronic personality traits and cognitive therapy is good for acute illness," he said. Translation: Maybe any of us who are given to sad or worried rumination should be on SSRIs, and then, if we fall into depression anyway, we can get some time-consuming and expensive cognitive therapy. (That DOES sound like a treatment algorithm that would appeal to insurance companies.)

Not surprisingly, Kramer thought this study might have been funded by the makers of Paxil--GlaxoSmithKline--or some other SSRI. Because in many ways, those companies would seem to benefit from the idea that the medications might be used to prevent depression (creating a much larger market for them), saving more costly measures like psychotherapy for when bad mood, irritability and worry tip into impairment.

In fact, the study was funded by Northwestern University initially, and then continued under a pair of grants from the National Institute of Mental Health.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I think Dr. Kramer is demonstrating skills at "spinning a story" that would impress any of our politicians.

I fail to see how the report, preliminary as it is, suggests that taking SSRIs doesn't benefit patients, or how it raises ethical concerns about "cosmetic psychiatry". These are patients who are in distress and suffering. I don't think anybody has suggested that medication is the whole answer to that condition but it certainly is part of the answer. What this study should tell us is that they work.

http://www.anxietyinsights.info/antidepressants_may_change_personality.htm

A total of 120 participants were randomly assigned to take paroxetine, 60 to undergo cognitive therapy and 60 to take placebo for 12 months. Their personalities and depressive symptoms were assessed before, during and after treatment.

http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/66/12/1322

Outcome Measures: NEO Five-Factor Inventory and Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression.

We're talking about (1) only 120 patients (2) taking Paxil with no psychotherapy, compared with (3) 60 patients taking CBT alone and (4) 60 patients taking placebo alone.

1. Paxil is arguably not the best SSRI for many patients
  2. The outcome measures (NEO and Hamilton Scale), while popular in research studies, are arguably not the most powerful measures of personality change or level of depression in clinical practice.

Andy

MVP
Anti-depressants can cause personality changes

Anti-depressants can cause personality changes
CTV.ca News Staff
Dec. 10, 2009

Antidepressants can cause distinct personality changes in depressed patients that go beyond simply relieving the depression, a new study has found.

The study found that people who were unassertive, pessimistic, prone to worry and prefer to be by themselves saw those personality traits change after they were a class on antidepressants called SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) for just 16 weeks.

The findings are striking, researchers said, because it's long been thought that personality traits such as neuroticism and introversion change slowly or not at all over a lifetime.

In the study, 120 patients with moderate to severe depression, took the anti-anxiety SSRI Paxil (paroxetine), while 60 underwent cognitive therapy but took no medication, and another 60 took placebos for eight weeks. In the crossover phase of the study, half of the participants on placebo were then given Paxil for another eight weeks.

There was then a 12-month phase when half of those in the Paxil group stayed on Paxil and half were taken off the drug and given placebo pills.

All patients showed less depression after eight weeks, no matter which group they were in, the researchers report in the December issue of Archives of General Psychiatry. But those given placebo pills reported their relief from depressive symptoms was briefer and more muted than those on Paxil or cognitive therapy.

Patients who received Paxil were more likely to report reduced depression symptoms than patients in the other two groups. But, strikingly, they also reported reduced neuroticism and increased extraversion.

Neuroticism is characterized by anxiety, hostility, self-consciousness, impulsivity, and sensitivity to stress. Extraversion refers to being inclined to have positive emotions, assertiveness, and sociability.

SSRI medications relieve depression by altering brain chemicals in the brain's serotonin system. Since neuroticism and extraversion are also related to the serotonin system, it appears the medication also affect these personality traits.

"One possibility is that the biochemical properties of SSRIs directly produce real personality change," the researchers write.

"Furthermore, because neuroticism is an important risk factor that captures much of the genetic vulnerability for major depressive disorder, change in neuroticism and in neurobiological factors underlying neuroticism might have contributed to depression improvement."

It is unclear how long-lasting the changes in personality are, said the authors, who were led by Northwestern University psychologist Tony Z. Tang.

But the study found that patients whose personalities shifted the most were less likely to relapse into depression. And they said that monitoring those altered traits could be a useful, early gauge of whether a medication is working and how probable a recurrence would be.

The study was not funded by the makers of Paxil, but instead by the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health.

Tang said his study suggests doctors can focus on helping patients achieve fundamental personality changes, not just recover from an episode of depression.

But in an interview with the L.A. Times, Peter D. Kramer, the psychiatrist and author of the book "Listening to Prozac," said he worried the study raised ethical questions about "cosmetic psychiatry," in which healthy, non-depressed people might be encouraged to seek a brighter, more appealing personality through medication.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Get outta here!

If only there was some way they could have come to this conclusion earlier...

Oh yeah! Patients. People on medication have been saying that certain medications change ther personality for a long time.

This is another huge reason a lot of people go off their medication. In my opinion they are to overwhelmed by being so "different" suddenly. Personally, I have often felt like my personality was "taken away". Of course losing my whole sense of self is the price to pay for sanity I guess.

The whole "cosmetic psychiatry" thing in my opinion is just bizarre. Unless my AD aren't working properly, my personality just isn't all that bright and appealing. Really it's true.

End rant.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Sorry I did not see or read this the other day. My two cents, that makes no cents...:blush:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.