More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Nancy said:
for me I become 16 with a teenage attitude like you can't tell me what to do

ThatLady said:
my grandmother is a control freak. It can get a little ...scary around here every now and then

TL, see if Nancy can give you some lessons...

Phoenix said:
I revert to the teenager too, It must be the age that the emotional hurt occured most? or started maybe?

I was exaggerating a bit about 6, probably, although it depends on the situation. I suspect late childhood or early adolescence is common (except perhaps where the parent was overtly abusive and there are some PTSD features) because that's when most of us will begin to question why things are the way they are - younger children for the most part accept anything as normal.

Halo

Lessons....sure I can give those. I could be a professor actually :D

I can relate TL because l still live with both of my parents and at one point my grandmother lived with us also so three generations (4 adults) living together and well....I don't have to explain it :) I can sure relate TL.

wow... I can not imagine me, my mum, and her 'mother' (If you can call her that) living in the same house. tension would be huge, no doubt about it. and while i know that the situation is not universal, i think the both of you deserve a pat on the back!! lol

Halo

Put my father into that mix and well he didn't have a hope of winning any argument or decision.....he was outnumbered from the get go :)

Yes TL call me as I have learned a lot about restraint when it comes to mothers and grandmothers :D

Halo

I was thinking of impulse control but now that you have said the tree.....ummm that might not be a bad idea !!!

Note to Self - need rope :D

ThatLady

^^Phoenix^^ said:
wow... I can not imagine me, my mum, and her 'mother' (If you can call her that) living in the same house. tension would be huge, no doubt about it. and while i know that the situation is not universal, i think the both of you deserve a pat on the back!! lol

Actually, it's not too bad most of the time. We all get along quite well. My grandmother's meddling can be problematic, but mother and I are both pretty laid-back people, so we just shine the Great One on most of the time and go about our business. It's only if she begins to insist on controlling other people's lives that one, or both, of us finds it necessary to step up and tell her to butt out.

Besides, the house is run by the cats, anyway. None of us really matters. Our only purpose, collectively, is to serve as can openers, shrimp skinners, catbox cleaners and laps. Le sigh...

:D

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
the house is run by the cats, anyway. None of us really matters. Our only purpose, collectively, is to serve as can openers, shrimp skinners, catbox cleaners and laps. Le sigh...

Some years ago, one of my students who had cats pointed out that if cats had thumbs they wouldn't need us for anything...

ThatLady said:
Besides, the house is run by the cats, anyway. None of us really matters. Our only purpose, collectively, is to serve as can openers, shrimp skinners, catbox cleaners and laps. Le sigh...

:D

Lol - too true

Halo

To be honest I now live with only my parents not my grandmother anymore as she has passed on but most times I have to admit that it is great. Yes, we do get on each others nerves at times and I think that it is to be expected when you have three adults living in the same space. For the most part they don't see me as being their child but they see and treat me as another adult who they work with, travel with and even party with. Over all it is pretty good.

The only thing about living with my parents is having to explain to people when they ask me why I still live at home. I usually just want to scream because I want to say "None of your freaking business" but I don't. Another thing is I don't really trust myself to live on my own. I did once and I was even more self-destructive then than I am now. At least having them around sort of keeps me in check. I pretty much don't want to tell people that I don't think that I could keep myself safe if I lived on my own so my normal response to people is to say that I don't feel like they are my parents it is like I am sharing a house with two adult roomates. That usually gets them off my back but I still feel guilty like I am doing something wrong by living and staying with them.

Just some random thoughts here about living with parents. It was nice to see a topic that I can completely relate to !!!

Different strokes for different folks, as they say. My step mother stayed at home until she was 40 and married my dad. Not through any reason apart from in her community, family was at the centre. On Sundays the whole extended family got together for church and spent the day eating food that everybody had prepard and playing games. It didn't matter about her age, and it shouldn't. She wasn't the only one in her community to have this experiance. Everyone was happy with the situation, and as a result, she is an increadibly kind and strong individual who has been there for me when I needed her.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.