More threads by cswhitchurch

My cousin had a child who was born with a rare congenital heart condition, HLHS. Her first open heart surgery was the day after she was born-- the 2nd surgery took place when she was 4 months old, and the 3rd and final surgery was done a few months ago-- and deemed successful. This series of 3 surgeries is the only known treatment for HLHS other than a heart transplant-- otherwise, the condition was always fatal.

I took care of this sweet child full-time when her mom went back to work after 6 weeks. I cared for her through the 2nd surgery and for most of the first year of her life. It was highly stressful at times, because she required a lot of specialized care due to her extremely precarious condition. When I moved to go back to school and took a job nannying for another family, I would find myself randomly running to the bathroom to cry-- I was crying all the time, for reasons I couldn't fully understand-- but I almost felt like a mother who had lost her child. The bond I formed with that baby was so strong. Fortunately, she is part of my family so I've been able to remain a part of her life :) Her parents understood the bond and would periodically ask me to babysit for her, even overnight sometimes.

She had been sick for a few days prior and I don't know what changed, but two days ago she was rushed by ambulance to the hospital. While she was there, she had 3 cardiac arrests and had to be revived. The local hospital, although it is known for it's state of the art Heart Center, was not equipped to treat her but she was not stable enough to be transferred to the hospital where she received all of her prior treatment. So the pediatric cardiology team from that hospital, along with a surgeon, came by helicopter to our local hospital. They were able to get her stabilized enough and she was airlifted with them back. While she was there, she apparently had another cardiac arrest and.... she didn't make it. They put her on life support for 72 hours, at which point they'll do a final scan to check for any brain activity.... but the doctors are saying there's really not much hope.

I don't think I have ever felt sadness like this in my entire life. I have not been able to stop crying for two days now, so I have been sleeping as much as possible to avoid the pain of being awake. Tomorrow, I am going to the hospital. I do not want to go, but my cousin said it would be a comfort for her so I am going. I cannot imagine how much worse her pain must be than mine-- and I can't comprehend how it would be possible to feel pain on that level without losing one's mind. It is incomprehensible.

I have fumbled my way through helping patients who are grieving.... the best thing I've found is to just be ok with silence. Because sometimes there are no words, but having someone to sit with you can be a comfort. Beyond that, is there anything I can say tomorrow that might be comforting to my cousin? Is there anything I should absolutely NOT say? Tomorrow is the day they will probably be removing the life support so it's going to be extremely difficult and I am going to be in a very bad state myself, I'm afraid.

Retired

My sincere condolences for your loss. It must be very difficult for you and your family at this time.

In response to your question,

is there anything I can say tomorrow that might be comforting to my cousin? Is there anything I should absolutely NOT say?

Source: Grief.com ? Because LOVE Never Dies 10 Best & Worst Things to Say to Someone in Grief - Grief.com - Because LOVE Never Dies

The Best Things to Say to Someone in Grief

1. I am so sorry for your loss.
2. I wish I had the right words, just know I care.
3. I don?t know how you feel, but I am here to help in anyway I can.
4. You and your loved one will be in my thoughts and prayers.
5. My favorite memory of your loved one is?
6. I am always just a phone call away
7. Give a hug instead of saying something
8. We all need help at times like this, I am here for you
9. I am usually up early or late, if you need anything
10. Saying nothing, just be with the person

The Worst Things to Say to Someone in Grief

1. At least she lived a long life, many people die young
2. He is in a better place
3. She brought this on herself
4. There is a reason for everything
5. Aren?t you over him yet, he has been dead for awhile now
6. You can have another child still
7. She was such a good person God wanted her to be with him
8. I know how you feel
9. She did what she came here to do and it was her time to go
10. Be strong

Though the list is somewhat generic, one can see the kinds of sentiments that are supportive during times of grief in the "good list" vs the demeaning and dismissive remarks in the "bad list".

How are you holding up at this time?

Thank you, Steve. That was helpful. She is actually pregnant now, and has been saying things like "How can I have this baby when I couldn't even be a good enough mother for this child?"
I'm a mess- completely depressed and haven't been able to stop crying for two days. I thought today might be better but the tears have been almost nonstop. I am 12 weeks pregnant right now too. It was not planned.
Meanwhile I'm trying to get through my last 4 weeks of graduate school! This week has been a waste- I've gotten nothing done.

Hugs to you hun i hope that the parents can get some grief counseling and to help the mother realize she did all she could that sometime things are taken out of our hands

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I am so sorry CS.

I think just being there, being a physical presence, can be a really wonderful thing. Please know this will be helpful.

As Forgetmenot mentioned too, you may be able to remind her that during a time of such intense grief, and later in the grieving process, there will be thoughts of guilt or responsibility which are not actually true. But it's okay to have them flow through the mind and express them anyway and have them be heard. But maybe we can remember on some level too, that they may not be true or accurate thoughts.

For you, too, please remember that grieving is a valid part of the human experience, it is okay to struggle and does not deserve guilt... it is not necessarily possible to stay active or productive during times like these... Do not judge yourself for that or consider that you are not strong enough, or that you should not have taken time out while going through these feelings, etc. xx

CS losing anyone you love deeply is going to not only be a shock to your system, but also a shock to your entire being. The love your family experienced and felt for this beloved child will not go away. It will remain with you. You asked what you could do when you see your cousin tomorrow. Touch is a wonderful thing that even when there are no words, there is healing in touch. It reminds us that we are not alone. It provides an anchor in the midst of the storm. And, it reminds us that we are still here.

I am so very sorry for the pain you and your family are experiencing. I also caution you to take good care of yourself and the baby you are carrying.

Thank you so much for your replies. Your words were very helpful and gave me comfort when I needed it.

It's pretty unbelievable what ended up happening. The day of her MRI, she suddenly had a massive turnaround. By the time I got to the hospital, everybody was all smiles and relief-- the doctors and nurses were beaming. They had previously been really lenient about visitors, allowing multiple people to be in her room and not enforcing really any restrictions, which was clearly because they thought it was the end and that there was no hope. But by the time I got there, they had started limiting visitors to 2 at a time, for 5-10 minutes every half hour. There seemed to be a minimum of 3 nursus/doctors in her room at all times working on her. When I saw her and spoke to her, she responded by opening her eyes and trying to look at me, and was at other times even trying to talk.

She's still on life support but they're going to start trying to ease her off it slowly. Her primary doctor there, who is normally a very serious and straightforward man, was all smiles today as he referred to her as the 'miracle baby'-- other nurses have been overheard saying her recovery is 'nothing short of a miracle.' She still has a long way to go toward recovering, but the doctors believe she will survive. Amazing!

sunflower

Hi I just joined this community. I came to the grief and bereavement area to post and read your words. I am so very deeply sorry for your loss. For your cousin's loss. The loss of a precious beautiful child. I know your question was already answered. But I wanted to extend my condolences.

She is off life support, but since her heart hasn't shown any signs of improvement they are transferring her to another hospital where she will receive a heart transplant at some point, probably within the next few months. :concern:

I am sorry her heart has not improved but there is still hope that with a new heart she can be healthy again Hope she can get transplant soon thanks for letting us know

sunflower

oh, I did misunderstand. This is good news. Good reason for hope. There is hope. I am so glad to hear this. She sounds like a beautiful and strong soul <3

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.