More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"For those who have lost a loved one, the recurrence of sadness is not a step backward; it is the nature of grief."

"Especially if the death has been recent, allow others to help you as much as you can. You could still be in shock. It's the time for receiving from those who love you."

~ Margaret Robinson Rutherford, Ph.D.

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"The bottom line is, there is no time-line or limit on grieving, and in allowing that natural process and release to occur, allows us to gently connect to what is important to us."

~ Clare Sillence

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"Emotional pain cannot kill you, but running from it can. Allow. Embrace. Let yourself feel. Let yourself heal."

~ Vironika Tugaleva

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Grief is not a tidy, orderly process, and there is no right way to grieve. Every person—and every family—does it differently. This can cause emotions to collide and overlap, especially during the holiday season when the emphasis is on rebirth and renewal."

~ Anthony Komaroff, M.D.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"The loss changes you permanently, I think, but what you learn is, first, how to accommodate the loss in your own life, to keep going, and to find peace and even joy in your life again; and, second, to learn to honor that person's life and the legacy of her life."

"Grief is not something that ever goes away. You just learn to accommodate it so you can move forward in your life and over time it gets less intense, at least most of the time."

~ David Baxter

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Grief is a complicated, nuanced emotional experience that fluctuates, ebbs, and flows. The more nuance we can infuse into our collective understanding of grief by naming its component parts, the better we can honor our own experience and support loved ones going through it."

~ Sarah Epstein, LMFT

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

You're Still Here

At the finest level of my being,
You're still with me.
We still look at each other,
At that level beyond sight.
We talk and laugh with each other,
In a place beyond words.
We still touch each other,
On a level beyond touch.
We share time together in a place,
Where time stands still.
We are still together,
On a level called love.
But I cry alone for you,
In a place called reality.

By Richard Lepinsky

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear."

~ C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"You can't let friends, family, or society dictate your emotional state. Whatever you have going on: relief, anger, cheer...just acknowledge it as what it is, without judgment. If those feelings change you will deal with those new emotions then. But for now just try to be comfortable with what you have."

~ Rob Dobrenski

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Go against the myths of staying secluded, closure, putting your loved one always in the past, and grieving without a daily diversion. You have every right to take care of yourself as you adapt to your great loss."

~ Lou LaGrand

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"You bring the person you love inside you. That is how you cope. You make him or her live within you. The whole experience I had with my children is in me. It is nowhere else I can see. I can see a photograph, I can feel sad, I can read a poem, but the experience of having them within myself is what matters."

~ Carlos Fuentes

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"Of the complex jumble of emotions that may follow the death of a pet, four stand out as being particularly difficult to acknowledge or understand, and therefore to work through: anger, guilt, denial and depression. A pet owner who "sticks" at one of these reactions faces a major obstacle in the grief swamp. If you find yourself dwelling on one of these emotions, or spending an inordinate amount of time "denying" the emotion, it is important to work on a more realistic understanding of the situation. Otherwise, your feelings may distort your entire perspective on the loss of your pet and your role in its death, and seriously hinder your recovery."

~ Moira Anderson Allen, M.Ed.

"You won't get over it. I don't believe we ever 'get over' the loss of someone we've loved so much. But you'll do something much better. Gradually, and in your own time, you'll make peace with yourself and then you'll make peace with your loss. And you'll go on from there."

~ Muriel Franzblau

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
"Grieving is a matter of relearning how to be in the world."

""The world is full of reminders of the person--the foods they liked, their favorite chair. At first, these may seem too painful to think about. But if you reach through the pain and let your mind go there, memories can be a comfort; they make it feel as if the separation isn't as final."

~ Thomas Attig, PhD

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

“There is some kind of a sweet innocence in being human -- in not having to be just happy or just sad -- in the nature of being able to be both broken and whole, at the same time.”

~ C. JoyBell C.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
“Grief turns out to be a place none of us know until we reach it. We anticipate (we know) that someone close to us could die, but we do not look beyond the few days or weeks that immediately follow such an imagined death. We misconstrue the nature of even those few days or weeks. We might expect if the death is sudden to feel shock. We do not expect this shock to be obliterative, dislocating to both body and mind. We might expect that we will be prostrate, inconsolable, crazy with loss. We do not expect to be literally crazy, cool customers who believe their husband is about to return and need his shoes.”

― Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

"People will believe you care if you just show up, even if you don't have much to say."

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.