More threads by J PTSD

J PTSD

I kiss my little brown bottles.
I was annoyed by the reminder that I need them. But my psychotherapist reminded me what would happen if I walked around with out my glasses.

Thank God for my meds, and some humility.
:lol:

Retired

Exactly..you are dealing with a medical illness in the same way that anti diabetic medications restore the body's imbalance of insulin, the medications you have been prescribed restore the imbalance of brain chemistry (neurotransmitters) that are thought to cause these illnesses.

Being a medical illness like diabetes or thyroid dysfunction, relying on will power, or strength of character cannot change the imbalance in body chemistry. The medications our doctors prescribe, in a rational manner, are the usual treatment for these illnesses.

J PTSD

Hi Steve.
I have a question. I mentioned to a family member I take 60 mg of Lexepro. They only take 20mg.
They were shocked and said "Wow that's a high amount"
I'm not discourage, but was wonder is that really a high amount? It works for me. AND while I was going through the trial of antidepressants, I did suggest to my psychiatrist I try Lexepro because it worked for a family member. Sort of same DNA ya know. It works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired

I take 60 mg of Lexepro. They only take 20mg.

Check with your pharmacist to ensure your prescription is correct, then if there is uncertainty, call the doctor's office. Although 60 mg is more than the dosage shown in the manufacturer's prescribing information, it is not unusual that, after a medication has been in use for a while, physicians find through their research and clinical experience that satisfactory results can be achieved from using a medication differently from the way described in the manufacturer's original documentation. This practice is called prescribing "off label" so you would want to verify your prescription with your doctor.

Have you been tolerating your medication at this dosage satisfactorily and have you found it to relieve your symptoms?

J PTSD

Have you been tolerating your medication at this dosage satisfactorily and have you found it to relieve your symptoms?

Yes, the 60mg help and I tolerate it very much so, very helpful. I'm over weight maybe that's why?

I also got an odd reaction from the receptionist too, when I called the psychiatrist office for a refill. I was starting to wonder about her reaction.

I applied for SSDI, if my meds are unusual maybe that's helpful in my case? Idk

Retired

The only way to clarify your medication dosage concern is with a direct conversation with the prescribing doctor. You could say that your understanding of the usual dosages of Lexapro is less than what you have been prescribed, and ask why this dose is being used in your case. There may be factors in your medical history known to your doctor that can provide you with the answers you want.

Although you cannot make decisions based on comments and reactions by friends and the doctor's office staff, you can use these comments to gain a clearer understanding of your situation by speaking to your doctor.

Knowledge is power, and you have the right to know why you have been prescribed a given medication at a given dose. This is how an empowered patient works in partnership with their doctor.

Working in partnership with your doctor means using your knowledge to better understand your doctor's choices and recommendations, rather than actually challenging your physician. Your doctor may have additional information and skills based on recent developments based on research or clinical experience, that may not necesssarily be currently understood in lay information sources.

Nevertheless, there needs to be a rational justification for a doctor's therapeutic choices, and if you feel unsatisfied by your doctor's rationalizations, you are entitled to seek a second opinion from another physician.

No ethical physician should ever object or feel slighted by a patient seeking a second opinion.

Additionally your weight gain should not be automatically attributed to this particular medication, and that issue should also be discussed with your doctor. There may be other causes based on your medical history.

Retired

Jane,

I like to think of assertiveness as being a very powerful weapon but equipped with a variable control. So think of a gun with a control that allows you to use it as a water pistol all the way to a cannon. Used indiscriminently the weapon of assertiveness can cause catastrophic harm to others, while when used insufficiently is hardly effective at all. Using assertiveness is a learned skill, that comes from practice and being able to assess the situation to determine the correct and appropriate amount of power.

From my experience in dealing with physicians in a variety of capacities, both professionally as well as being a patient, may I suggest that being overly assertive in a patient/doctor relationship can sometimes work against the patient by placing the doctor in a defensive posture, a position in which some physicians are uncomfortable.

Some doctors see themselves as authority figures whose knowledge and judgement should not be challenged, so by coming on really strong with your new found knowledge, your relationship might become strained. I have found that by asking questions about the subject at issue, with the background knowledge you have gained can eleicit the information and perspectives you are looking for without making the doctor feel he/she is being challenged.

Use the classic question starters: What, Why, When, Where and How.

Assertiveness is a powerful and effective tool that can help getting what you want and in setting boundaries, and once you've learned to set the right amount of force for a given situation, it can help improve your interpersonal relationships.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.