More threads by Retired

Retired

Seen on Netflix The Notebook, made in 2004, I never heard of it but when I saw it yesterday on Netflix, enjoyed it immensely. It's a beautiful love story that also looks at the effects that aging can have on a loving relationship.

The story is multidimensional, with solid performances by a couple of actors that were born in London Ontario (Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams), along with several veteran actors (James Garner, Gina Rawlings, Sam Shepard).

As always, I enjoy reading the Goofs and Trivia sections of IMDB as a backgrounder before watching the movie to make it even more interesting.

Oh yes, it's a tearjerker!...:sob:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yes, excellent film, one of the originals on Alzheimer's.

There are a couple of others that are worth looking out for too.

Still Alice (2014): I haven't seen it yet but it was well reviewed. A linguistics professor and her family find their bonds tested when she is diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. Starring Julianne Moore, Alec Baldwin, and Kristen Stewart.

Alive Inside (2014) - IMDb: A documentary. Dan Cohen, founder of the nonprofit organization Music & Memory, fights against a broken healthcare system to demonstrate music's ability to combat memory loss and restore a deep sense of self to those suffering from it.

Banned

Banned
I both read the book and saw the movie for Still Alice.

Both are fantastic and definitely worth seeing or reading.

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
I still have to get around to watching Still Alice, definitely caught my attention...

Oh boy, The Notebook, what a memorable film. I super rarely cry in a film, but man did that one get me.

Very beautiful and as you said Steve, fantastic performances.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't know how many of you have heard this song by Glen Campbell, written and recorded while he was already struggling with the onset of Alzheimer's:

And here's a song by his daughter, Ashley Campbell:

There is a documentary about his farewell tour: Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me (2014) - IMDb:

I thought I recently read about a new movie about his journey into full Alzheimer's but I can't find it now. Possibly it was a book...

rdw

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
The documentary about Glen Campbell is called "I'll Be Me". It is an excellent show.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.