More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
TM said:
As for medication, I am for the appropriate use of medication. But I'm also against diagnosing someone with an illness and stating that there is no cure. You might as well say, "There is no hope."
I don't think so, TM. There is no "cure" for thyroid dysfunction but it can usually be managed quite well with medication. There is no "cure" for dyslexia, but one can learn to compensate for it and thereby overcome it. There is no "cure" for a host of human limitations and conditions and disorders, but I don't think that ever translates into "no hope".

It is the same for schizophrenia. It is true that there is no "cure" per se but that does not mean that it cannot be well-managed, the symptoms controlled, etc. The single most difficult problem with schizophrenia is medication compliance, because most sufferers do not believe they are ill -- that is the nature of the illness. This is also true for bipolar disorder. And it is why the prognosis for both disorders is as low as it is.

On the other hand, those who in one way or another can be convinced that they do need to remain on medication for extended periods of time to stabilize the condition do improve, without question, and some can live productive and quite happy lives. Perhaps that is why it is so important to emphasize to sufferers and their families that indeed there is no "cure" and that the best hope for a reasonably normal and happy life is to take the medication according to the instructions of your doctor.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
The single most difficult problem with schizophrenia is medication compliance, because most sufferers do not believe they are ill -- that is the nature of the illness.

In the US, it seems that medication compliance may be the primary concern of "Assertive Community Treatment," in which there are no more than 10 clients closely monitored by one person:

"ACT participants usually are people with schizophrenia, other psychotic disorders (e.g., schizoaffective disorder), and bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness)..."
NAMI: Assertive Community Treatment

HA

Daniel,

Yes, lack of insight or "anosognosia" is the reason we need Assertive Community Treatment Teams Or ACT teams.

My son lives in a group home and is in treatment with an ACT team. I'm still not sure about the benefits to him yet. This has only been in place for almost a year now. ACT teams, in theory, help people to live in the community. I'm still assessing our experience.

My son has very little insight into his need for medication and has delusions about the medication. Unfortunately, he has spent about 6 of the 8 yrs he has been ill, in the hospital.

While I believe that a cure will eventually be found, I am greatful for the small steps he is able to take on his personal journey with this illness.

People who live with this illness deserve a great deal of recognition for their strength to persevere with not only their symptoms but also the stigma and misunderstanding in our society.

Cheers
Judy

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Admin note:

This thread was created from posts split from a thread on a slightly different topic ("What are the odds?"), in order to preserve the original intent of the originating thread.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.