More threads by Rosa

Rosa

Saw my doctor on Thursday and asked the loaded question- is the Abilify considered a long term med for me?? The answer was yes, at least for a year. I get the impression this 'at least a year' is something doctors say when they don't really want to say its forever.... like a year is so far away you won't remember them saying a year ago......and by that time it will just be part of my daily routine.? I'm not at all upset with him telling me this but I am ever so frustrated with my body.? I'm on soooo many medications.? Don't get me wrong-my mind has never been so stable...I guess its just the thought of soooo? many pills for the rest of my life that just seems overwhelming.? I can't help but to wonder if this is just me now or if this is reluctance to take pills because I spend years growing up being drugged by my mother to 'keep me quiet'...i don't know, maybe thats the problem.? Any feedback would be apprecated.
In friendship
Rosa
fyi. I take 15 mg Abilify, 200 mg Zoloft, Klonopin (as needed) .5 mg wafers, and 150 mg Trazadone every day.

foghlaim

Re: just an update and request for feedback

Rosa: i think most of us wonder about how long we will be on a med\s.. i know i was wondering the same thing.. i asked the Dr. (psych) how long and he said maybe six mths to a year. i nearly dropped!! i know my reaction is related to my not wanting to be on them in the first place.. so right now i don't know that i can handle the idea that this is what's maybe needed. and i have also thought what am i gonna do if he says i have to take these long term.(longer than 6\12 mths.) so i avoid thinking about it for now.

sorry i'm waffling again.

the others here might be better able to give u proper feedback on this.

ThatLady

I don't know if it will be of any help to you, but I can tell you this:

I'm not on any medications to treat depression, or other such maladies, at this time. I have a prescription for Xanax that I take if I feel particularly anxious; however, I rarely take it. Since my father's surgery I think I've used it more often than I had in quite some time. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it is possible to live one's life happily without medication. Thing is, you have to get through the tunnel first, and medications help you do that. :)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

Medications which act to stabilize/normalize the balance of neurochemistry, like antidepressants and medications such as Abilify, take time to work - their effects are gradual and cumulative and my general recommendation is that at least a year is required for them to do what they need to do. On the other hand, after about a year and a half to two years, many people will find that everything that can be done by the medications has been done.

I'm not talking about chronic conditions here of course so it depends very much on the diagnosis. But your doctor telling you to expect to be on it for a year is not necessarily a message that you will need it forever. Not at all.

Rosa

Thanks all for the responses. Just wondering doctor, these when you say these drugs are meant to stabilize/normalize the balance of neurochemistry...are they fixing something in my brain??? That would be fantastic!!! Or, are they doing what I'm thinking they are doing which is just helping things connect better while I"m on them. My diagnosis from what I know is Unipolor depression and PTSD. Gee that would be great if they were actually fixing something inside my head...maybe that would explain why they are sooooo expensive.
Thanks again
Rosa

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

In a sense, yes, that's exactly what they are doing.

Depression and anxiety disorders are associated with imbalances in neurotransmitters, the chemical which pass "messages" from one neuron to another and collectively help to modulate emotional reactions, regulate mood, promote nornal cognitive functioning, etc.

The SSRI medications and other related medications are designed to stabilize this neurochemistry. For many people on these medications, after a period of time, they are able subsequently to maintain a more normal balance. There are a smaller number who seem to be chronically vulnerable to imbalances and they may need to be on the medications for a longer period of time or perhaps indefinitely.

Note that I do not mean to imply that this is all that needs to change in order to be free of anxiety or depression or perhaps especially PTSD symptoms. Usually, this will also involve changes in self-talk (i.e., CBT) and resolution of conflicts and/or working through traumatic or distressing experiences, which is what happens in psychotherapy.

Rosa

Thank you sooooo much. Wow! I had no idea!!! This is the best possible news I've heard all week:) Heck, its the best news I've heard all month:) I'm definately staying in therapy and doing all the changes I need to make but it sure helps to know that maybe someday I wont need all these medications. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your response. WOW! I've got to go tell my dogs:)
Be well
Rosa

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.