More threads by Retired

Retired

Recently, Moya Greene, president of Canada Post, announced the formation of the Canada Post Foundation for Mental Health. The foundation, which will be administered by an independent board of experts in the area of mental health, will receive funds raised by Canada Post and its employees, as well as by others, and direct the money to where it will do the most good for those directly affected by mental illness.

The Foundation's aim is to raise awareness of the effect mental illness has on the lives of Canadians and work to eliminate the stigma that surrounds it, while supporting patients and their families dealing with mental illness.

As a first step in its fundraising efforts, Canada Post also announced a new commemorative stamp supporting Mental Health. The stamp will carry a 10-cent donation, with that entire amount being directed to the Canada Post Foundation for Mental Health. The stamp will be issued on Monday, Oct. 8, to coincide with Mental Illness Awareness Week (MIAW), sponsored by Canada Post.

"The goal is to raise one million dollars this year," Greene said. "When it comes to investing in communities, I am particularly proud that we have decided to champion mental health as our cause of choice. We were the first major company to adopt this cause, which has too long been an orphan nobody wanted. I hope others will follow."

Phil Upshall, national director of Mental Illness Awareness Week, applauded Canada Post's move.

"Stigma and discrimination associated with mental illness are still perhaps among the most profound barriers to treatment, but with the leadership shown by Canada Post and its employees, I'm confident we're about to make a major difference in the lives and families ? one in five Canadians ? touched by mental illness. Canada Post should be very proud."

Upshall has been named the first trustee of the new Canada Post Foundation for Mental Health.

Paul Haslip of HM&E Design Communications designed the stamp, using an illustration by Jeff Jackson. The only other Canadian fundraising stamps were issued between 1974 and 1976 to support the Olympic Games in Montreal and in 1996 to support literacy in Canada.

Attachments

• MH_Stamp.jpg
    MH_Stamp.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 4
"The goal is to raise one million dollars this year," Greene said. "When it comes to investing in communities, I am particularly proud that we have decided to champion mental health as our cause of choice. We were the first major company to adopt this cause, which has too long been an orphan nobody wanted. I hope others will follow."

Paul Haslip of HM&E Design Communications designed the stamp, using an illustration by Jeff Jackson. The only other Canadian fundraising stamps were issued between 1974 and 1976 to support the Olympic Games in Montreal and in 1996 to support literacy in Canada.

Wow...and wow. Freakin' awesome. Makes me want to get out there and do something too :) It's about time someone "big" stepped up. It's a good start.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.