More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Mentally ill patients need support during holidays
CBC News
Dec 23, 2011

Staff at a Thunder Bay mental health agency say the holiday season can be a difficult time for their clients.

Nicole Letour, director of community mental health and addiction services for Alpha Court, said people dealing with mental illness or addictions often become isolated from their loved ones.

Sometimes it's because of stigma and sometimes it's because of past behaviour associated with their illness.

She said staff help clients prepare before the holidays, so they can plan activities and find people to turn to. "Christmas is very focused on getting together with loved ones,? Letour said. ?And for some of our clients that's not a reality."

Mark Hayashi ? a client living with bipolar disorder ? remembers some tough years. "I was going through a lot of depression at the time and it just seemed that, the holidays seemed to compound a lot of those ? emotions that you would feel."

Hayashi said this year is much better, and he's spending the holidays with his family.

[h=2]Q. How can I deal with mental illness in my family?[/h]It can be very stressful to have a family member with a mental illness. A common response is to try to deal with the problem alone. People may isolate themselves so they can avoid the stigma that may come about when friends and neighbours find out about ?our secret?.

However, keeping the problem in the family is not the best approach. The best way to deal with mental illness in the family is to link up with other families who are in a similar situation. In Canada, the two best known family organizations are the Mood Disorders Association and the Schizophrenia Society. They can connect you to other families in your area, and give you information about the illness.

Care for each other, and for yourself

Within the family itself it is best to talk openly about concerns. You will want to be supportive of your family member, but remember that this is not your fault, and you cannot make it go away. Try to stay positive, and approach problems directly.

Make sure everyone in the family knows they are loved and included in discussions about the situation. If the family member who has mental health problems is an adult, it helps to treat them like an adult rather than a helpless child.

Families carry huge burdens, with little support for the role they play. Although your family member is the one with the illness, it is all right to admit that you may need help too. For example, you may need help with housework or child care, or you may just need someone to talk to. Give your friends concrete suggestions of how they can help you. For example, they can spend an evening out with you, or help with a home-cooked meal.

You can also join a self-help group of other families. These groups help you get peace of mind by giving you:

• tips
  • information
  • emotional support
  • practical help
Source: Canadian Mental Health Association

Yesterday the whole family met at my parents place for supper. We order out St hubert and somebody picked it up since it's only 2 blocks away. Before supper we exchanged gifts.
Today everybody is doing there own thing with their family and I am home alone feeling miserable very depress. I was looking on the internet to see if somebody was offering Christmas Dinner and it seems that was at lunch time.
I didn't eat much all day and now started to drink my misery away. It's like that most years. The loneliness I feel is so bad I do what ever can do to make the day go by faster and not always the safest things

Sue

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.