More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The mentally ill have the right to be well
by Margaret Wente, The Globe and Mail
Tuesday, Feb. 12 2013

Today I want to talk about my problem with Let?s Talk Day ? a worthwhile Canadian initiative that is designed to build awareness of mental-health issues. You?ve probably seen the TV spots. One of them features a young woman in a business suit phoning her office to change her voice-mail message. She won?t be in. She puts down the phone and begins to weep. The message is that mental-health issues (not problems ? issues) affect millions of people just like you. So let?s erase the stigma! And for every message you text or tweet today, Bell will donate five cents to the cause.

Well, good for Bell. But the problem with normalizing mental illness (sorry ? mental health disorders) is that it blurs the line between mild to moderate issues and severe disorders, which may last a lifetime. The people who miss work from time to time, while certainly deserving of compassion and support, are in a completely different situation than the people who can?t hold a job because of the voices in their heads telling them to throw themselves in front of a subway train. And the harm we do to those people is one of the great injustices of our age. So let?s talk about them.

In the 1950s, Canada had almost 60,000 long-term psychiatric beds. Today, we have about 6,000. The number of people with severe mental illness ? perhaps 2 or 3 per cent of the population ? has not declined. So where did they go? They went to the streets and into the jails. We have replaced one institution (mental asylums) with another (prisons). Some people think this is progress.

A lot was wrong with the old asylums. But mass deinstitutionalization has been a tragedy. It has left tens of thousands of helpless people to fend for themselves. They suffer from serious psychotic conditions, including schizophrenia. They are a permanent feature of the urban landscape. Despite the arguments of patients? rights groups, not all of them can be treated in community mental health clinics. A large number don?t even know they?re sick.

As Richard O?Reilly, a former president of the Ontario Psychiatric Association, points out, every other area of medicine gives priority treatment to the sickest people. The sole exception is for mental illness.

The harm these people do to themselves and others is devastating. According to E. Fuller Torrey, a leading U.S. treatment advocate, the untreated mentally ill commit 10 per cent of all homicides. They constitute 20 per cent of prison populations and 30 per cent of the homeless.

Hospitalizing or treating people against their will is an explosive subject. But families with seriously ill daughters or brothers know it can be the only way to save someone from themselves. And sometimes the only way for people to lead semi-normal lives is to stay on medication for life. They deserve the right to be well. But families and other advocates for compulsory treatment face a powerful array of opposition, including civil-rights groups, anti-psychiatry activists and ?consumer/survivors? who feel they?ve been victimized by the system. Some psychiatrists, psychologists, sociologists and other professionals reject the biomedical model of psychiatric illness altogether ? and some of these people run mental-health services. They argue that the roots of psychiatric illness lie in social and family factors. They think that recovery, even from psychotic illness, is possible without drug treatment and that the real key to wellness is self-empowerment.

Which is like telling someone with metastatic cancer that she can get better once she takes charge of her life and starts hoping hard enough.

So let?s talk about the disaster we?ve created ? and what we need to do to fix it. That conversation is long overdue.

There are so many different levels of mental illness and for the ones like stated that do not have anyone what then? Even if they have family how are the family to protect their loved ones if they refuse medicationHow are they to protect themselves? The family member i have one sees medication as poison does not take it and ends up back in hospital they stabilize him to best they can send him home a nd again same cycle being sent back to hospital because psychosis takes over and tell him to do some pretty scarey stuff.

Family do not have the knowledge the power really to protect themselves or their loved ones. What are they to do? what you soon find the family members who have been given this responsibility now are soon burn't o ut and they themselves now have a mental illness of burnout depression.

There has to be some place where there can be hope. Change the in hospital structure to include education to include integration as well to teach basic living skills and also teach them they are valuable and they are important.

i don't know it is so hard to see the ones struggle and also it is hard to see the family as a whole fall apart because they are left with such a task they just cannot handle

So you see the government need to put in place help support for families and when they ask for help not to turn them away and say their loveds ones are their problem because it is not fair they don't know what to do. Respite care is needed and it should be covered to allow family members time off.

sorry just rambling on

The system is not working the pendulum has swung so far now the ones that are so sever they cannot see they are ill are not getting the protection they deserve and need

Families are falling apart because the support to help them is not there and the guilt that is put on family members when they fail God to protect their loved ones that guilt it never leaves

MHealthJo

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
It really is very sad and unfair for all involved. I think in my country there is still underfunding too, although I think it varies in different areas, and I am so grateful that when my mum occasionally needed hospital for bipolar symptoms, she could go.

We had to study the true story "Tell Me I'm Here" in high school, which really would have helped anyone understand what a family goes through with schizophrenia.

There must be people making decisions who do not understand all the issues - maybe that includes those making funding decisions. Maybe this story (from the 80s I think) has made some difference where I am - I don't know.

eva

MVP
People get ignored and told their problems aren't real when they're still within the realm of being treated, and when those people slip between the cracks, the same conditions that authorities refuse to acknowledge and treat get regarded as some kind of label. It's more than unfair - it's injustice and a disservice to Ontario's human rights model.

Although, I'm confused by some of the wording in the article. I'm not sure a sliding scale of "most sick" to "least sick" would necessarily work for mental health the way it does for physical ailments. Someone with Bipolar may have different needs than someone with PTSD and putting them on one priority scale doesn't make much sense.

I'm also a little confused by the references to "The people who miss work from time to time" compared to "people who can’t hold a job because of the voices in their heads". This is just my perspective, but as someone with GAD, I don't actually need to be reminded that I'm in "a completely different situation" than someone with Schizophrenia or PTSD. That seems like a nicer way of saying, "oh but, there are people who have it worse than you! Everyone gets depressed/anxious sometimes!", which is stigmatizing.

I absolutely agree that there is disservice and injustice with reforms and institutions handling schizophrenic and other permanently-ill persons. It needs to be discussed and we need to acknowledge that we are failing people and faulting people for having a diagnosis that is technically beyond their control. But what I don't understand is why those tragedies need to be used as a way of saying "oh, just cheer up!" to people with other needs and other conditions. It's a little bit like reminding a teenager being bullied that there's starving kids in Africa - acknowledging that other people have more tragic stories than yours doesn't change either your suffering or theirs. I'm appalled by how drastically we are failing people who deal with some of the more extreme and debilitating illnesses, but that doesn't change the fact that my own personal life entails poor self-esteem and struggles with anxiety and panic, and comparing my problems to that of others with different needs and different conditions will not help either of us get better.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm derailing or if I'm trying to draw attention to myself. I just don't understand why the author felt the need to wipe so many conditions and illnesses within the mental health spectrum off the table.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.