More threads by Matts Mom

Matts Mom

Hi I have two questions.

1. Can you tell me what methadone is and if it is addictive? My son Matt (25) told me that he was using methadone to get rid of an addiction to zanax. He lost a lot of weight, slept a lot and couldn't keep a job. Then, he was arrested in Feb (05) and charged with meth possession. He was sent to a prison bootcamp and is due to come home in 90 more days. Of course, he says the meth was not his but it was found in the back seat of his car after he told the officer he could search his car.

2. According to his correspondence he wants to turn his life around and never go back to prison. How can we help him?

I came across your website while doing research for a social science class. When I read Mike's mom's story I cried. Except for the mental problems I could relate to her predicament. My son is exceptionally bright, funny, well mannered and very personable. I have so much anger inside and I really don't know what to do with it.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
1. Do you know how he became addicted to Xanax? Was it prescribed for him or used as a "street drug"?

Methadone is primarily used in the treatment of narcotic addiction to reduce withdrawal symptoms. More recently, it is also sometimes prescribed to treat certain other medical conditions. However, it can itself be addictive.

More information:

Methadone - Factsheet - Drug Facts
Office of National Drug Control Policy | The White House publications/factsht/methadone/

Methadone Information from Drugs.com. Includes side effects, interactions, indications.
Methadone: Uses, Side Effects & Warnings - Drugs.com

MedlinePlus Drug Information: Methadone summary for patients (National Library of Medicine)
Methadone: MedlinePlus Drug Information

Methadone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Methadone (Dolophine) is a Schedule I drug under the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs
Methadone - Wikipedia

methadone on Encyclopedia.com
methadonemĕth´edōn&180;, -dŏn&180;, synthetic narcotic similar in effect to morphine. Synthesized in Germany, it came into clinical use after World War II.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/m1/methadon.asp

Dolophine Online, Description, Chemistry, Ingredients - Methadone http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/methdone.htm

2. I strongly suggest you refer him to an addictions counselor or addictions treatment program in your area for assessment as to whether he requires residential treatment or outpatient treatment -- your family doctor may be able to recommend some treatment resources.

Matts Mom

Dr. Baxter,

Matt says he was using the Zanax as a prescribed drug to help with his anxiety attacks.

Thank you for all of the links. I have read some and will continue to try to educate myself. The plan is to also educate Matt since he says he is willing. I do realize however that he is in prison and when someone is in there they truly believe that they will do anything never to go back, the statistics are against us though.

I am convinced that we should get him into some type of program as soon as he is released. Do you think he will he be over the physical withdrawals when he comes out? He has friends that use, and that we want him to stay away from. Would you recommend we make his staying with us conditional upon not seeing them? He will be on intense parole supervision so that may be enough, I'm not sure.

It would be good to hear from some of the young people who have had addictions and how they have overcome their addiction. As a parent I have mixed emotions as to how much intervention I need to take to help Matt. I realize that he is an adult now, and I really don't feel that I'm at fault for the course that his life has taken, other than we weren't extremely strict displinarians. I'm afraid that Matt may be genetically disposed to addictive behaviors if that is possible. Bottom line is we love him and we want to help him overcome this tragic course that his life has taken.

Thank you so much for your website, it has felt very good to obtain counsel and gather information from a trusted source.

Sincerely,

Matt's mom

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I am convinced that we should get him into some type of program as soon as he is released. Do you think he will he be over the physical withdrawals when he comes out?
I'm not certain about the prisons in the US - I do know that drugs in Canadian prisons is an ongoing problem so there may be no guarantee that he isn't continuing to use while he's incarcerated. In either case, even if he has withdrawn from drug use, it will have been a forced detoxification rather than a voluntary one, and it would be advisable to have a treatment program (I'd guess a residential program) lined up before his release so that he can go there directly or within a day or two.

He has friends that use, and that we want him to stay away from. Would you recommend we make his staying with us conditional upon not seeing them? He will be on intense parole supervision so that may be enough, I'm not sure.
If he is determined to see those friends, there's probably not much you can do to police him. One of the typical conditions of probation or parole is "not to associate with anyone with a criminal record" -- I'm sure his probation officer will be aware of his history and of the risks of him continuing to associate with other drug users... that may be sufficient.

jeffrey

Hello Matts mom,
I was a heroin addict for two years and went onto a methadone programme for a year,methadone is primarily used to treat heroin addiction an is therefor more addictive and stronger than heroin itself,the idea is they can monitor you intake and slowly wean you off,it`s a long process.

Matts Mom

Hi Jeffrey,
Thanks for the feedback. Are there other opiates that Matt could have been using? I've never had any reason to suspect him of heroin. Doesn't that have to be injected? I'm finding out how little I know my son.
Matt's Mom

Matts Mom

Hi Jeffrey,
Thanks for the feedback. Are there other opiates that Matt could have been using? I've never had any reason to suspect him of heroin. Doesn't that have to be injected? I'm finding out how little I know my son.
Matt's Mom

jeffrey

Hi matts mom,
Yes there are many opiates that your son could have been taking,when used over a short period of time all opiates become addictive no matter their strength.Heroin can also be smoked,the most common method is to put an amount of the powdered drug,which is usually brown in colour,onto a piece of tin foil,a tube is then put into the mouth to inhale the vapours on the foil as it is heated from beneath.If you know the right people you can get almost any form of opiate on the streets...frightening!
If you are unforunate to get on drugs like these,including cocaine and crack then you will almost undoubtably have your life robbed from you within time,everything,and i mean everything will become meaningless,only the drug will have meaning and only the drug will give you what you need,nothing but the drive to get your next fix.It is a really terrible life to live,i know i`ve been there and i wouldn`t wish it upon anyone.Even tough your son has been to boot camp he needs treatment,get it now before it takes him over,nip it in the bud.It ais as serious as it gets,i`m now thirty,i was hooked for three years from the age of nineteen to twentytwo,eight of ny friends are now dead,they didn`t make it,they will never grow old,never know what the future held for them.I was lucky that i had unwavering support from my family,i put them through hell but they stood by me and now i`m here telling you this.
An English man telling his tale of misery,i look back and thank god that i pulled through,it has no doubtably affected me,maybe for the rest of my life but at least i still have that life.

I sincerly hope this helps and puts things into perspective,good luck and be strong.

Matts Mom

Jeffrey,
Thank you for shedding more light on this circumstance. I'm glad that Your life is different now. The one thing that encourages me was that you had unwavering support from your family. I don't know if you have children of your own but the love that we have for them is overwhelming. Even when they don't do what's best for themselves. I can sit here and say that I will never give up on Matt. I realize that there is only so much that I can do. I know that he has to reach that point in his life when he doesn't want to be a slave to his addictions, whatever they may be. Until I had come upon this site I hadn't considered treatment. I only thought that the bootcamp and the probation to follow would be enough to cause him to change his ways. I don't even know if Matt has considered it, but I will be asking him when I write to him. We haven't seen him since May, but we have been able to write.

Thak you again for replying, I've always believed that knowledge is power, and that every person has a purpose.

merlin

Hi Matt's Mom, I read your thread a few times now. I hope your son can get away from the drugs.

I myself am more of a drinker even thou I did to a lot of LSD and pot but I would like to point out to you that most prisons in Canada make a lot of inmates worst instead of help them, think about it? You’re refused your freedom and live in close quarters with criminals. When you think of it, its total a paradox. To rehabilitate someone they need to surround there selves with people that they should be like, not those they are not supposed to be like.

All i'm trying to say is you should try to get some added help after he comes home. From professionals. Prison doesn't rehabilitate in most cases.

Good Luck

HA

Hello Matt's mom,

It's not uncommon for people who have illnesses like anxiety disorders, mood disorders or psychotic disorders to also have a substance abuse problem. The statistic is 50% of those with mental illnesses also have a substance addiction.

If your son has an anxiety disorder then medications used for depression would be helpful for him. They are not addictive and some are used to treat anxiety disorders as well.

Those who are addicted to cocaine and other stimulants such as methamphetamine also will use antianxiety drugs like xanax to stop the high so they can sleep. I'm not saying this is what your son was doing but it's something to consider.

Below is a link to resources for Xanax addiction.
http://www.drug-rehabs.org/faqs/FAQ-xanax.php
As an organization we are dedicated to finding the correct solution for your specific addiction problem. Our referral list contains over 3,000 resources which encompass the following treatment categories :

Xanax Detox Center
Xanax Rehab
Xanax Treatment
Xanax Addiction Treatment
Xanax Addiction Counseling
Meetings
Xanax In-Patient Treatment
Xanax Out-Patient Treatment

This site has a coping kit for families and friends of those addicted to drugs.
http://www.fromgrieftoaction.org/index.html

Hugs

jeffrey

hello again matts mom,
To your question of do i have children of my own,no,unfortunately none,i would say that that is probably for the best at this moment in time but i do long to have children,one day it will come.I think the one thing that pulled me through my addiction was the shear determination of my parents,tough love was the only option for them,of course i rebelled and put them through hell as the drug tends to do this,but they stuck in there and after a while in conjunction with getting treatment i really began to see what i had become and the misery i caused,only then could i appreciate what they had done for me,only then did i realise how much i loved my parents and how much they loved me.
As for prison,well English ones,their are more drugs in their than on the streets,i don`t mean to worry you but it`s a harsh reality so be prepared for the worst.
If your son and yourself are both strong enough and if he reaslly wants to sort his life out then you can both do it,tommorow is always another chapter,make it a good one.
Love Michael

Matts Mom

Hi to all,
Thank you all for your comments and thank you for encouraging me.
Thank you HeartArt for the links, I will take advantage of them as much as I can. I live in the USA in Georgia. I'm sure there are good programs here I just need to find them. If anyone knows of any please let me know. I just want to know how to help him and our family deal with this.
Jeffrey/Michael - thank you, thank you, your parents must feel very fortunate that you have come this far.
To Merlin - you're right about prison not being the place to be rehabilitated. Even though my son was locked up because of his addiction, there is no program there, that I am aware of, that is supposed to help him. They just want him to do his time, and then pay fines and be accountable to a probation officer for the next TEN years.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.