More threads by hugsy

hugsy

i've been thinking a lot lately about how i learn. i usually turn to books, the web, ask others for their thoughts...gather information internally and go from there.
i've been observing how others go about it. someone i know involves himself in activities that involve what he wants to learn about. he does it by experiencing.
i admire that. and i've been wondering if i can do that instead of the way i've been doing it. and i wonder does it have to do with personality/ temperament, or does it have to do with habit/learned behavior?
do we learn how to learn?

hugsy

i've been thinking a lot lately about how i learn. i usually turn to books, the web, ask others for their thoughts...gather information internally and go from there.
i've been observing how others go about it. someone i know involves himself in activities that involve what he wants to learn about. he does it by experiencing.
i admire that. and i've been wondering if i can do that instead of the way i've been doing it. and i wonder does it have to do with personality/ temperament, or does it have to do with habit/learned behavior?
do we learn how to learn?

Good question! Then again, isn't using whatever means feel the most comfortable, important too?

I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way to learn things. It's that you've learned that counts in the end, isn't it?

Just my thoughts... BTW, I mostly learn the way you do. And I do think it may have to do with temperament. I don't even think I'd try something new without finding out about it first. Then, when I know what to expect and feel ready, I go about experiencing.

Mel

Good question! Then again, isn't using whatever means feel the most comfortable, important too?

I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way to learn things. It's that you've learned that counts in the end, isn't it?

Just my thoughts... BTW, I mostly learn the way you do. And I do think it may have to do with temperament. I don't even think I'd try something new without finding out about it first. Then, when I know what to expect and feel ready, I go about experiencing.

Mel

Hi Hugsy,

I think your style of learning can affect what you learn. Learning has to do with a number of things, such as your interests, meaningfulness to you and what you want to learn versus what you have to learn. You can also be a visual or verbal learner. Some people learn better by repeatedly going over the same materials (rote memory) while others can read something and learn from it. It also depends upon your level of processing information. Other things to consider with learning is: familiarity with the topic, a person's thirst for knowledge, as well as a desire to read. If you want to learn more things: make those things more elaborate for you, make them meaningful and look for things to learn that interest you. And, some people do "throw" themselves into an experience to learn...which could be more of a trial and error learner.

I once heard that our learning is a process of ignorance...we ignore the things that are unimportant or trivial.

Hi Hugsy,

I think your style of learning can affect what you learn. Learning has to do with a number of things, such as your interests, meaningfulness to you and what you want to learn versus what you have to learn. You can also be a visual or verbal learner. Some people learn better by repeatedly going over the same materials (rote memory) while others can read something and learn from it. It also depends upon your level of processing information. Other things to consider with learning is: familiarity with the topic, a person's thirst for knowledge, as well as a desire to read. If you want to learn more things: make those things more elaborate for you, make them meaningful and look for things to learn that interest you. And, some people do "throw" themselves into an experience to learn...which could be more of a trial and error learner.

I once heard that our learning is a process of ignorance...we ignore the things that are unimportant or trivial.

ThatLady

There are also those who learn best through auditory means. They learn by hearing rather than seeing, or reading. They do really well by recording that which they wish to learn, then playing it back.

I feel that whatever works best for you is the best way to learn. I learn best by reading the material. My daughter is an auditory learner. My son learns by doing...a hands-on learner.

ThatLady

There are also those who learn best through auditory means. They learn by hearing rather than seeing, or reading. They do really well by recording that which they wish to learn, then playing it back.

I feel that whatever works best for you is the best way to learn. I learn best by reading the material. My daughter is an auditory learner. My son learns by doing...a hands-on learner.

hugsy

hmmm, i had not thought about how many methods there are. we probably use a mix of them. though we may use some forms more than others. i was feeling like my way was "less than" my friend's way. i guess his way seems more fun to me. but you're right. there is no "right way". thanks for pointing that out. :)

hugsy

hmmm, i had not thought about how many methods there are. we probably use a mix of them. though we may use some forms more than others. i was feeling like my way was "less than" my friend's way. i guess his way seems more fun to me. but you're right. there is no "right way". thanks for pointing that out. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.