More threads by PlaneswalkerZacron

I don't know why but sometimes I have difficulty smiling,saying hi or thank you or other things like that , this has been troubling me since one time I did not say thank you after someone help me about something ,and one of my friend criticize me on it.It has been bothering me for quite some time.

Maybe the reason is I am not open enough?

Retired

I find that in the hustle and bustle of City life where most people are preoccupied with rushing to get somewhere with their heads focused on their smart phones, there is little time for eye contact along with a friendly nod to say hello, even among strangers.

A good way to overcome your apprehension might be so simply practice making eye contact with strangers and saying good morning or good day.

You might get one of two reactions...you will either be ignored or you may get a favorable and friendly response...and those friendly reactions, to me outweigh those who ignore my greeting.

The thing is, these are strangers and even if they ignore you, to means nothing and you have lost nothing...but the practice of reaching out to others my just help in overcoming your apprehension to communicate.

I kinda understand what are you trying say , but maybe trying on not-so-close acquaintance might be a better idea , but i think my problem is more on the phrase thank you ,I just somehow don't like to say it ,I think it sounds awkward ,maybe it is pronounced thank Q,Q part where it joins k and y together sounds a bit awkward to me ,and I am kinda worried about saying it too much ,like a person help once and again in a short interval ,saying it too many times may sound awkward.

Banned

Banned
What about changing up the expression...

A less formal "thanks" where appropriate, or "much appreciated", the odd "thank you", "I appreciate your kindness", "this means a lot to me", "thank you so much"....

There are many ways to say thank you...but like many things, the more you say it, the easier it gets.

sunflower

and perhaps if saying "thanks" is also too akward for you, you might be able to start by just thinking the words in your heart. There may be other reasons why it is not easy to express this. So, sometimes starting with the thought is a good way to begin if the verbal or facial ( smile or eye contact) are too difficult. I think its great that you are wanting to deal with this. Sometimes little steps are perfect to get someone "there" aka to effect the change we desire.

A smile/nod/handshake could be interpreted as "Thank you."

"Namaste"
"Appreciated!"
"I'll pay it forward."

As Steve mentioned, maybe if it's actual speech you have issues with, you could do something to boost your confidence. He mentioned some methods. If you want something else, even if you speak to a therapist or read self-help books, whatever you do, do it in practice. It's hard to learn something behind a screen or a book. Theory is one thing, application is another... Some other possibilities: voice coach, speech therapist, Toastmaster's meetings, debate clubs, discussion groups (in person, not online), acting classes, poetry readings.

Little steps, as Sunflower mentioned! Patience with yourself. Expect nothing except learning, experimenting, trying things out. It's not failure if you don't succeed the first time. Give yourself encouraging thoughts. Be mindful of what's going on in your mind - if you catch yourself trying to convince yourself it's not worth it, you're going to fail, etc, then you can check yourself and change your thoughts to encourage yourself instead.

If it's only "Thank you" that you are hung up on... Practice in front of a mirror. Observe other people, such as a store at a check out counter, or a birthday when someone is receiving presents: how do they sound? How do they look?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.