More threads by g-scared

g-scared

My cat was brutaly murdered by a pack of wild dogs. They attacked her at night while I was sleeping. I woke up to the sound of their barking and quickly chased them off. I thought I had saved her, but it turns out that dogs have really strong jaws. It always surprises me how fragile living creatures are. How one minute they can be fine, and beautiful, and the next be fighting for their lives with a long haul of recovery ahead of them if they are lucky to even make it. And even though someone can obviously be in a terrible condition, no amount of warning has ever prevented me from feeling shocked.

It might sound kind of petty to some maybe, that I would mourn my cat so deeply. She was a great friend though, especially when I lived alone. At one point she was the only one I had to come home to, and I live in a dangerous neighborhood, so it was important. I just wish I could have done more for her.

I was talking to my friend a couple weeks ago on the front porch over cigarettes, and told her, my boyfriend went crazy, and my cat died. And she said, "well, you can replace both of them". I know it sounds terrible, but she has a unique sense of humor, and says things that are totally out of line. It wasn't offensive to say the least.

It might be true that I could replace the boyfriend, but I will not be getting another cat to cover up silence. It's a tremendous committment anyway.

In any case, it was kind of weird, how oddly comforting the funeral was for me. I woke up to find her dead and didn't know what to do, until it occurred to me that I would have a funeral, a really small one, with probably just another person, but the digging and preparation was really comforting. I wish funerals now didn't feel so artificial. I hate the smells too. And the thought of being preserved with chemicals I find repulsive. It reminds me of the smell of frogs you dissect in biology class.

Another thing that bothers me is the make up. I remember they put make up on my mom when she died and it was just totally weird. People commented on what a good job they had done, but it's so stupid I think, and pointless.

When I die, I want to be buried in a biodegradable coffin, in the ground. No chemicals. Unfortunately I don't know if this is even legal.

Just some thoughts.
-g

foghlaim

It might sound kind of petty to some maybe, that I would mourn my cat so deeply.

hi G-scared, it doesn't sound in the least petty to me that you mourn your cat. I am sorry that she had died. i can understand the comfort that she brought you.

along time ago, i had a little terrier out my yard, he got out and some very cruel ppl, killed him and threw him back into my garden. my daughter and I cried bitter tears for him. we loved him very much.

When I die, I want to be buried in a biodegradable coffin, in the ground. No chemicals.
i like this idea. I suppose i'ts the lining they use in the coffins that might ot be bioderadable.. as the coffin itself is made of wood. ( at least overhere they are) make your wishes known in a will ok.

all the best
nsa

g-scared said:
It might sound kind of petty to some maybe, that I would mourn my cat so deeply.

not at all, its not unusual to care this deeply for an animal. They can really become part of the family ( I know mine is )

Halo

Hi G-scared,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. I agree with Phoenix and on that it is not unusual to care for an animal so deeply and to mourn them upon their death. I know that I mourned by dog for quite sometime after she died as it felt like a member of the family had passed away.

ThatLady

I'm really very sorry for your loss, g-scared. Your feelings are what we all feel when we lose someone we love. :(

Peanut

Hey g-scared,

I am so sorry for the loss of your cat. My heart honestly goes out to you. Pets mean a lot to us and it is very hard to lose a pet. I'm so so sorry. :( The funeral sounds like a beautiful way to celebrate a special life. I'm glad you did it and it helped.
Another thing that bothers me is the make up. I remember they put make up on my mom when she died and it was just totally weird. People commented on what a good job they had done, but it's so stupid I think, and pointless.
I agree about the make up. I wouldn't want it either.

Here is a poem I thought you might like to read:

Rainbow Bridge Poem
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Heather

I am so sorry about your news.

It is not pathetic, I too would feel the same way if it were one of my cats, plus it was in a horrible way that the cat passed so no wonder you are hurting so.

I want you to know that I am thinking of you.

Heather...

Hello g-scared ,, Im so sorry to hear your news, you are in my thoughts, nothing you said is petty, please read the poem Toeless has posted this poem always gives me hope when Ive lost one of my birds.

thinking of you TTE

hello g-scared, i am so sorry to hear about your cat. there is nothing wrong with mourning for her. we love pets just as we do people. animals provide us with joy and love just as well as people, sometimes even better. animals do not judge us and will love us unconditionally. i am glad you had a funeral for her, this was a good way to say goodbye. take care.

Rosa

Hi g-scared. I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. Pets are incredably important in our lives and I can completely understand your feelings of loss. I would be devistated if anything happened to one of my dogs. I too, have lost pets and its very hard.
Perhaps someday you will feel like getting another kitty, not to replace the one you lost, but to add to your life.
Take care and safe hugs your way,
Rosa

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.