More threads by Katybell45

Hi all!!

I have a lovely twelve year old son who is in the process of diagnosis for OCD. He has always been a worrier and since the age of about five or six years old shown signs and liked routine. At Xmas he witnessed his brother get head butted from a man on his school bus which absolutely terrified him, since then he has slowly starting rituals till he has got a few going at once, he has verbal rituals as well as placing and checking ones. He has to ask if anything bad is going to happen to anyone in our family including him and the dog Molly. Hhe does a funny blinking ritual, he asks if the doors are locked at night three or more times and checks under bed, he has to have shoe laces one longer than other, lines bottles up slanted, picks objects up and places them slanted. He goes out of the door and comes back and forth saying see ya. We aren't allowed to say the word bye. He does this three or more times before he stops and goes out to play. His fear is death and terminal illness and he can't bear to see the word cancer or see the adverts. These are my son's symptoms.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
:welcome2:

who is in the process of diagnosis for OCD

So he is seeing a psychologist and/or psychiatrist?

Have you seen one of these books?

Take Control of OCD: The Ultimate Guide for Kids With OCD

Freeing Your Child from Obsessive-Compulsive-Disorder

What to do when your Child has Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Strategies and Solutions

Talking Back to OCD: The Program That Helps Kids and Teens Say "No Way" -- and Parents Say "Way to Go"

I haven't read such books on childhood OCD or anxiety, but I have read excerpts and they seem pretty good.

I hope your son has a caring professional who willwork with him to undue some of these compulsive acts He must of been terrified to see his brother harmed

making_art

Welcome Katybell45! :wave4:

Are you finding that you are both relieved to have a name for what your son has been going through and at the same time a sadness that he has to live with this? You will find a great deal of good information in the OCD section of the forum and can be assured that the information here is trustworthy.

All the best!

Welcome to the forum, Katybell45... I don't know too much about OCD, although I've met a person or two who has mild OCD, who were in therapy... I understand it's related to anxiety, though, which is something I am still learning to deal with myself. Keep us posted and let us know if you have a therapist and how things are going...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.