More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
National Crime Victims Rights Week: 4/18-4/24
Dr. Deb
Sunday, April 18, 2010

crime-victims-week.jpg

Each April since 1981, the United States Office of Victims of Crimes (OVC) has helped lead communities throughout the country in their annual observances of National Crime Victims? Rights Week (NCVRW) by promoting victims? rights and honoring crime victims - and those who advocate on their behalf.

Research states that only a small fraction of crime victims seek help from formal support networks. This may occur because many victims are unaware of the services available. If you have been a victim of a crime, you can have access to legal, medical and psychological services - many of which are free of charge or may be subsidized by your county or state. For more, see Crime Victims

It's good to educate yourself in how to limit your chances for being a crime victim, but even if you do all of the right things, crime can still happen. I've had the dubious distinction of being a crime victim twice in the last four years. Even though my home is alarmed, locked and under video surveillance, a home invasion occurred (foiled because I was able to call for help) and an attempted robbery happened just last week. Scary stuff. Good thing I know how to defend myself.
Don't let the trauma of interpersonal violence keep you from getting the help you need.

Source: McCart, M., Smith, D., & Sawyer, G. (2010). Help seeking among victims of crime: A review of the empirical literature. Journal of Traumatic Stress DOI: 10.1002/jts.20509

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.