More threads by KindMomma

KindMomma

Hi, I've decided to try a psych forum to connect with others who have experienced mental illness.

I have always tried to make the best choices I could despite challenges (e.g. have obtained a university degree, I'm gainfully employed, and a loving wife and mom) but my life-long issues with dysthymia, major depressive episodes, and anxiety have made accomplishing anything difficult (although very worth it!), and I still struggle every day. Sometimes I feel very afraid of other people's judgement if they were to know what I experience each day, and I feel they judge me because of my difficulties staying organized and having little energy, and sometimes feeling to overwhelmed to manage life effectively. I imagine many of you out there are experiencing the same thing.

Given that this illness seems to have gotten worse over the last 3 years, I feel like I need to reduce my shift work to 3 days a week, and my doctor agrees. I fear the reaction of my manager, and my coworkers, to this change that I need, and I'm afraid that I'm going to be misunderstood or bullied because of it, or worse, let go from my job. As well, I had a baby in the last year, and it's certainly been a shift in life (a wonderful one, though!) and the post-partum depression was hard. I also imagine there are many of you out there who have also experienced these same challenges.

Retired

Welcome to Psychlinks, KindMomma! Glad you found us and hopw you might find the information and support you're looking for.

Sometimes I feel very afraid of other people's judgement if they were to know what I experience each day

If others were to judge you badly based on your illness, then it would be a problem with their perceptions of mental illness, and no reflection on you. If you were diagnosed with kidney disease, would you be concerned about how people judged you?

Admittedly we all sometimes have to deal with stigma and misunderstanding of mental illness, but the judgement says more about those judging than about the person who is ill.

What treatments, if any have you received to help deal with your symptoms?

Andy

MVP
Welcome to Psychlinks KindMomma!:2thumbs: For whats its worth I think most people would understand if you told them you were just to tired to be working full time because of the fact that you had a baby in the last year!! That's a full time job in itself!

Hallo KM, nice to meet you!

8)

I haven't had kids of my own, but I have been a nanny for a single mom, and also have about 15 years of experience working with children (teaching, instructing), so I saw a tiny bit of what parents see every day. I was sometimes worn out and these weren't even my own kids, and I would leave and go home and then they'd go home to their parents who worked all day. It's got to be exhausting! And then on top of things you have this mood disorder/condition. So if you have to manage that, plus a job, plus your child, that's understandable that you would get worn down pretty good. 8P

KindMomma

Thank you, Eclipse. Hugs back.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Hi Oscartheman,

I've been very fortunate to have a therapist who was willing to work with me on consistent basis, and accepted a low fee that I could pay. It has helped very much. I also take Cipralex and Wellbutrin. I used to take Effexor, but that stopped working.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Hi Steve, thank you for your reply. I take two medications, Cipralex and Wellbutrin, and I have had a psychologist work with me. So I have been very fortunate to have those resources, the medication and the therapist, which helps. I do not have any friends who experience this kind of illness, so it's nice to have joined a forum to write with people who know what this is like, and who may have some helpful solutions/hints for managing with it. Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Thank you, STP. Yep, being a new mom sure is a full-time job and a learning curve! But it's great at the same time.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Hi JGJB! Thank you for your reply. Yes, being a nanny/teacher is very tiring, so you must have much perseverence to do what you do. I bet the parents really appreciate you. Thank you for understanding--yes, the job, baby, and mood disorder all can wear me down, I just don't have much energy. But I hope that with reducing some shifts, it will help. I'm very nervous as to how my employer will handle the 3-shifts per week maximum for me--I'm afraid I'll be bullied or let go because of it. I hope they understand.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.