More threads by braveheart

braveheart

I am going through a spate of nightmares again. In the past few days I have dreamt that I was the sole survivor in a bomb explosion in which my father died, and then another night, seeing many of the bullies again in my old secondary school. Although thankfully they didn't see me.
And last night I don't remember my dreams from the first part of the night, but I woke up terrified of there being a ghost in the flat.

I told my therapist today, and we worked with them a bit. She also did some gentle focusing-breathing work with me, which may have made some difference, although at the time I was fighting it, trying to control things by 'stopping' breathing. I just ended up frustrating myself...and feeling disappointed.

The nightmares are actually not so terrible, when I work with them, but the symbolism is so traumatic....

I am not getting any real restful sleep, even though mirtazapine, which I am on, is supposed to be good for PTSD nightmares. *sigh*

I want to get some grasp of things before the Easter therapy break [week after next] otherwise I'll be a nervous wreck...

I do visualisation and fantasy of my safe place when I get into bed each night, and tonight I'll try the breathing as well.
Any more tips gratefully welcome. Please. Thanks.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I suspect the lack of restful sleep is what needs focus. One tends to remember dreams and nightmares more clearly when sleeping more lightly or restlessly. SSRIs and other medications which affect neurochemistry, especially serotonin, also can make dreams more vivid.

Talk to your doctor(s) about options for improving your sleep.

braveheart

Thanks David.

The past 2 nights I've slept more restfully. I still had a nightmare last night, but no surprises there really, as I found out about an online acquaintance's suicide and an online friend's overdose and landing up in hospital, both yesterday.
My dreams have always been vivid. Always. For as long as I can remember. Since I was a child.

I see my GP on Friday.

Halo

Braveheart,

If you are seeing your GP on Friday you may want to really consider mentioning to him/her about the restless sleeps that you are having and see if he/she can recommend other options for improving your sleep quality and minimizing the nightmares. Maybe a medication that you could use when and if you need it.

If you do speak to your GP on Friday, let us know how it turns out.

Take care
:hug:

braveheart

Thanks Nancy. I do have zopiclone, which I did take in addition to the mirtazapine when I went through a difficult time last Sept./Oct. I prefer not to take it though, as it has pretty nasty withdrawal and is semi-addictive.

I'm not sure what else my GP can suggest, as I am already on a sedative AD.

I'm sorry you have nightmares, braveheart. That is hard. It's hard to not get good sleep. It seems to just make everything worse.

:hug:

braveheart

I saw my GP just now.

I told her about the not sleeping well, and the nightmares. [Last time I saw her I also told her about a nightmare I'd had the night before. So it is pretty clear that I Get Nightmares And They're Troublesome And Distressing To Me]

She asked me if I was working through a lot in therapy. Yes. [Of course.]

So, that was that.
Accept the nightmares and the lack of decent sleep.

Well, I can do things myself to help myself.
So I don't just have to 'submit'.

I didn't really expect my GP to do anything else, really.

Most of me can accept its all part of the process. [and, David, for me at least, I don't think it is solely medication related.]
And, thankfully I have lots of experience of working with my dreams, so, once awake, I can usually understand the symbolism and what it means in relation to my life.
I guess what I can also do is talk about the nightmares and dreams more, so they feel less threatening.

Halo

Braveheart,

I am sorry to hear that your GP was not more helpful with coming up with options to obtaining peaceful sleeps without the nightmares. I think you are a very courageous woman to be able to look at this as part of the process and accept it as part and parcel with what you are going through in therapy. I have a lot of admiration for you :)

I do hope though that the dreams and nightmares become more infrequent and you are soon able to get a well deserved and needed good nights rest :zzz:

Take care
:hug: :hug:

braveheart

Nancy, thank you.
My GP is great. But not very diagnosis savvy, as it were. When I told her that my therapist and I agreed I had PTSD, my GP intimated that I shouldn't make up fancy names for what I suffer. Um.But I wish it wasn't true, but it is.
If she 'got' what it was all about, she might be more empathetic.
But...
I need to be grateful though that she is keeping an eye on me, as well as giving me space. I need to be glad I'm not pumped full of meds. The psychiatrist I saw while sorting my meds wanted to encourage me to regulate my feelings with minimum medication possible.

David, thanks for clarifying. I know meds can effect dreaming. When I was on both efexor and remeron my dreams were pretty vivid and lucid. But having been on remeron only for just coming up to a year, I see that I go through cycles of nightmares and restless sleep. Sometimes I go for a week or so with peaceful sleep. And then the nightmares start again. I'll try looking back in my journals to track the particular triggers. A big job, but could be useful. I don't think its menstrual cycle related, although that does affect my sleep also.

As of last night I also now have a cough and cold, so that's adding to nightime discomfort....

Halo

Braveheart,

I am sorry to hear about your cough and cold which is adding to your nighttime discomfort :( I hope you feel better soon and that you get some much needed peaceful rest.

Take care and you're in my thoughts
:hug: :hug:

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.