More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Norman Malware Cleaner 2.1
by Neil J. Rubenking, PC Magazine
June 13, 2011

Pros
Needs no installation. Works in Safe Mode. Good malware detection. Especially effective against scareware in testing.
Cons
Lengthy scan. Rootkit cleanup and sandbox-based detection not enabled by default. Left many detected threats running after supposed cleanup. Especially poor against rootkits in testing. No real-time protection.
Bottom Line
Both PCMag's tests and independent lab tests show that Norman's malware cleanup isn't the best. However, this free tool runs even when malware blocks installation of more full-featured products. Give it a try when you need a quick fix.

When your computer acts up, slows down, or otherwise behaves weirdly, the reason may well be a virus or other malware. Maybe your antivirus is out of date, or perhaps you never got around to installing protection. In the long run you should install a product with real-time antivirus protection, something that will keep bad things from happening. Right now, though, you want that virus out. Norman Malware Cleaner 2.1 (free, direct) is designed specifically for that cleanup task.

Because Norman doesn't require installation and runs in Safe Mode, it can function even when belligerent malware prevents installation of a more full-featured solution. Its cleanup could be more thorough, true, but it's free and it may well clean up the problem system enough to allow installation of a full-scale prevention-and-cleanup antivirus.

Smooth Start
Installing an antivirus product on twelve malware-infested test systems often takes me a full workday. It can take even longer if I have to work with tech support to get past problems caused by malware that fights back. Not this time, though. I had Norman up and ready to run on all twelve systems in less than an hour.

Malware on two of the systems did try to defend itself from being cleaned up. One rogue security program even claimed Norman itself was a virus and terminated it. Switching to Safe Mode allowed me to run a full scan on both systems.

Lab Results Not Great
Most of the major labs include Norman in their tests, though it hasn't been getting the best scores lately. ICSA Labs certifies Norman's technology for virus detection and removal. The latest on-demand test from AV-Comparatives.org rated it STANDARD, the lowest passing score.

AV-Test.org rates antivirus products in three areas: protection, repair, and usability. A product can earn up to six points in each area, with a total of 11 points required for certification. Norman didn't achieve certification in any of the three tests under Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.

Virus Bulletin has been testing Norman's products since 1988. Out of the latest ten tests, Norman only received VB100 certification six times.

Specifications
Type
Business, Personal, Professional
Free
Yes
OS Compatibility
Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 7
Tech Support
Email support available.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.