More threads by forgetmenot

The majority of my nightmares dreams i do not even remember or know i have had one. It is my husband who says to me i had terrible dreams all night kept him awake yelling in my sleep screaming then go back to sleep. Why if the dream or nightmare is so traumatic can i not recall any of it Why is it i don't even know i have had one.

Murray

Re: not remembering dreams

That's a really good question Violet. I have often wondered about this. Sorry so say that I have absolutely no idea.
I am sorry that you have these terrible dreams even if you don't remember them. Maybe it is good that you don't recall them, maybe they would be too disturbing.

I understand that but if i could recall them maybe pieces of the past would be brought back to me. My husband won't tell me much he says i speak clearly then won't tell me what i said god it is annoying Your right though if they are so traumatic then it is best not to recall them maybe the brain is protecting again by not letting me remember crazy brain it is.

Murray

That would bother me too if my husband wouldn't tell me what I said. I would probably bug him til he finally told me in desperation.
I do think that sometimes our brains do protect us from stuff we don't want to know.

yeh i do bug him he plays stupid i don't know he says you were mumbling then i say but you just told me i was clear in what i said and he says yeh i was half asleep I don't get it he thinks he is protecting me or what. I just wondered why the brain does not remember I think i only remember 1 or two dreams and they had nothing to do with my past

Murray

I don't know. I almost never remember my dreams, just very rarely. I hear other people though who always seem to remember their dreams. I know that people sometime suggest keeping a notebook beside the bed so you can write down what you recall as soon as you wake up, but I don't usually even recall anything then.

Retired

Why is it i don't even know i have had one.

My understanding of remembering dream content, and I stand to be corrected, is that we remember dream details of dreams experienced only a short time prior to waking. I believe that time is in the tens of minutes, so if you were not awakened by your dream, and continued sleeping, especially during REM sleep, the deepest form of sleep, you would not recall the details.

Okay thats makes sense then because i probably do not wake up from t hem it is like sleep walking i guess because i do get up side bed and then go back to bed i really don't wake up. thanks

Banned

Banned
Steve's right. When you sleep you cycle through REM sleep several times during the night. As you get closer to your waking time, it is easier to wake you and those are the dreams you tend to remember. Statistically, about 78% of people remember their dreams when woken during REM sleep. If you're not woken at all, you don't tend to remember them. That's why some deep sleepers claim not to dream, but in fact, everybody dreams.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.